Advice on 'private' boat builders?

wolvesy

Featured Posts

Am considering purchasing my second boat, and it is said to have been built in 1986 by someone called Harold Hart, by 'private engagement', in 'the style of Hancock & Lane'. The seller is a marina brokerage, and the boat looks in absolute tip-top condition inside and out with a glowing survey report from 2015. However, is there anything I should be considering with regard to this unknown builder? - Can't find any info on him at all.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I haven't heard of him, but I wonder if he was a former H&L employee (they stopped building boats in 1984 I think).

If it's as good as a Hancock & Lane you'll be O.K., as they were highly regarded in their time.

Our forum member Kedian worked for them for years; if this Mr. Hart worked there too, I'm sure he would know him.

Edited by Athy

3 minutes ago, wolvesy said:

Just have been totally unable to find any info on this guy as a builder.. thought there could be a supremely knowledgeable person on this forum

Somewhere out there is a boat built by me. It has the pukka RCD plate with me shown as boatbuilder and all ce jobbies it is all done quite properly adhering fully to legislation. In reality its a standard shell built by a known builder with my fit out.

If it is this boat, contact forum member Leo.

He used to own it, and I feel sure can tell you much of its history.

However according to the boat listing (based on CRT's own records) it is a Hancock & Lande build.

Keb Built by Hancock & Lane - Length : 9.14 metres ( 30 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.45 metres ( 1 foot 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 33 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 76255 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Honestly my friend, nobody can give an opinion on a boat without the proper tools (at the very least a chipping hammer) and given the opportunity to spend at least a couple of hours pulling up floors and listening to engines and gearboxes.

Trying to form an opinion of a boat by photograph is like trying to sort apples by phone.