Aldi "Special Boating Offers" 25th March

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think we have missed that one :

Aldi has announced the launch of its Spring caravan accessories range for 2016, but the good news comes with a caveat of “when it’s gone, it’s gone.”

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It will be at:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2018-03-25

Either tomorrow or Sunday at a guess - they set these things up in advance to auto publish on a set date.

Thank you for the link, will keep an eye on it. It’s the twin tub that I thought we might be interested in. There is a good one at Argos which while more expensive gets excellent reviews. Will wait to see if it is the same one. Planning to spend more time aboard in the next couple of years, so it would come in handy. 

17 minutes ago, MHS said:

Thank you for the link, will keep an eye on it. It’s the twin tub that I thought we might be interested in. There is a good one at Argos which while more expensive gets excellent reviews. Will wait to see if it is the same one. Planning to spend more time aboard in the next couple of years, so it would come in handy. 

With ours (£89.99 from a campervan shop) it is gravity drain (not a pump-out) - either put it on the back deck and let the hose dangle over the side, in the shower, or on the sink and let the hose go down the plug hole.

Something like a 15 minute wash and a 8-10 minute spin so via the inverter takes no more than about 10Ah from the battery per wash / dry cycle

Following details from the Aldi brochure :

Washing uses 250w

Spin Dry uses 116 watts

Washing capacity 3.5kg

Spin dry capacity 2.5kg (after water removed)

We can get in several shirts, T-shirts, pants etc, but for 'heavy' items like jeans or thick jumpers it is one or two at a time.

The spin dryer gets clothes dryer than the auto-machine at home.

Dimensions are not quoted and I cannot remember what ours is. If you do a google for 'camping washing machine' or 'camping twin tub' you should find several examples and hopefully get the dimensions.

It is quite large but easily fits under our bed.

16 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Big black bin bags are cheaper!

(Or so I'm told)

:ninja:

Once found a brand new thetford abandoned at our local refuse point. On inspection, they had installed a bag in the bowl, cacked in it and then thrown it out!

I have a little twin tub very much like the one Argos do. I bought it second hand for around £30. I was unsure if it would be a bit f a white elephant but decided it was worth investing £30 in it to see whether it was worth having because I would always manage to get £30 back if I wasn't going to use it. 

It stands in our shower cubicle when not in use and is easy to lift out when we have a shower. I use it on the kitchen worktop and while I have not used it a lot that is primarily because we have rarely had an opportunity to be on board for more than a few days a a time since I had it but the occasions when we have been on board for a week or more I have found it invaluable. Because it spins so well the washing dries really quickly. 

If this one died I would certainly be looking at replacing it and that Aldi one looks a good price 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

With ours (£89.99 from a campervan shop) it is gravity drain (not a pump-out) - either put it on the back deck and let the hose dangle over the side, in the shower, or on the sink and let the hose go down the plug hole.

Something like a 15 minute wash and a 8-10 minute spin so via the inverter takes no more than about 10Ah from the battery per wash / dry cycle

Following details from the Aldi brochure :

Washing uses 250w

Spin Dry uses 116 watts

Washing capacity 3.5kg

Spin dry capacity 2.5kg (after water removed)

We can get in several shirts, T-shirts, pants etc, but for 'heavy' items like jeans or thick jumpers it is one or two at a time.

The spin dryer gets clothes dryer than the auto-machine at home.

Dimensions are not quoted and I cannot remember what ours is. If you do a google for 'camping washing machine' or 'camping twin tub' you should find several examples and hopefully get the dimensions.

It is quite large but easily fits under our bed.

Thank you for the recommendation. It does look just what we need. 

34 minutes ago, Liam said:

What wattage is the solar panel please?

I'm assuming 'not very big'.

Text states :

Solar Battery Maintainer

Top up most 12v battery types on vehicles up to 343Ah including caravans, cars, motorcycles, jet-skis, vans & boats. Works in overcast conditions.

Water resistant. Including 12v DC power plug, battery clips and connecting cables. Approx 50 x 35 x 2 cm

£24.99

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm assuming 'not very big'.

Text states :

Solar Battery Maintainer

Top up most 12v battery types on vehicles up to 343Ah including caravans, cars, motorcycles, jet-skis, vans & boats. Works in overcast conditions.

Water resistant. Including 12v DC power plug, battery clips and connecting cables. Approx 50 x 35 x 2 cm

£24.99

I seem to remember them being only about 30W last time they were in.

This type of panel is more of a "battery maintainer", rather than a charging source. That is they will keep a fully charged starter battery fully charged, but won't charge a flat one. They are unregulated and rely on the load to keep the voltage down.

My youngest son has a Lotus Elise which suffers from a flat battery if left unused for more than a week because the immobiliser dischages the small lightweight battery on these cars.

I fitted a similar one to the roof of his garage about 6 years ago and it completely resolved his battery discharge problems.

On 16/03/2018 at 23:55, Alan de Enfield said:

I think we have missed that one :

Aldi has announced the launch of its Spring caravan accessories range for 2016, but the good news comes with a caveat of “when it’s gone, it’s gone.”

But its on again https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/2018-03-25?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ACaravanning&page=2

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Does it come with a hard hat? Serious danger of  head striking ceiling if take off is too fast!

You probably have to attach it to the floor. 

If you forget to turn off the fan before opening lid you will likely get a face full of rubbish 

Edited by rusty69

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thanks for that ditchcrawler. There is some good stuff there.

Firstly the pet one. I can chain the duck up so he cant get away. Not sure about the boot liner though. My boots are a bit smaller than that. Wonder how they fit in?

5aae443174cea_Pet-Collection-Pet-Tie-Stake--Cable-A.jpg.786abbedc2e6bcda91d9c5ec2fb573fc.jpgAuto-Xs-Allweather-Bootliner--KR2-A.jpg.499ea8f85e3ac6beb2423fc238b6e5d7.jpg

On 17/03/2018 at 19:39, Alan de Enfield said:

Text states :

Solar Battery Maintainer

battery clips, connecting cables, mmmmmmmmm...... ???? :unsure:  - I'd advise anyone thinking about rushing in and waving their plastic at the till, just check everything is appropriate for boats and meets the requirements or think about alternative connection methods if they are not compliant out of the box.