Crossing the Cherwell at Aynho

Lochnevis

Featured Posts

I'm moving north up the southern Oxford at the moment, and was planning on Heyford - Banbury tomorrow.  But the Cherwell is very high...  Is anyone up Aynho way at the moment, and if so, how does it look where the canal crosses the Cherwell?  I'll go as far as Aynho in any case, but it'd be good to know now if there was no chance of getting any further than that!

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Ditto. There's a lot of woodwork there. You could zoom across e flow and tie up whilst the lock is closed etc. But I think you'll be okay. 

I'm not sure there is anywhere to zoom to as the lock bridge is very close to the Cherwell crossing.  Best plan would be to set the lock then cross the Cherwell and straight(ish) into the lock.

I'm talking about Aynho weir lock which is a diamond shaped lock just after the Cherwell crosses the cut. This is after Nells Lock. You are thinking of Shipton weir lock which is the one you come to after boating down the bed of the Cherwell after Enslow. It is the other diamond shaped one.

This is a photo by Chris Jones

5v_s4t.jpg

Edited by philjw
missing word

Thanks all!

I am indeed talking about the diamond-shaped lock before Nell Bridge (if heading north).  The woodwork sounds very reassuring - I had vaguely remembered there being some, but not if it was in good enough condition to hold me off the weir, should the worst happen (e.g. something around the prop at the worst possible moment...).

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well I'm now confused which way we are going. Does the lock go up or down?

He is locking up from the canal at Aynho weir lock onto the river section. Immediately after locking out the river hits the boat on the right hand side and can keep you pushed to the left where the wei/sluices are. However this is a very short run and has huge timbers to run along the hull side if needed, its no problem. The next lock is Nells bridge where you cannot get in to the lock if the river is high dues to the low bridge immediately in front of the lock. The most dangerous thing at this location is after a few days dreaming along on the canal you have to leave boat and cross a bloody fast road to do the lock and thereby get killed by a car.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

I did know that :D but I thought the thread was a bit dry. Not enough water.

Good info though. If it warms up a bit after the weekend we may get down that far so that info is really useful........I'll make sure the duck swims under rather than crossing the road.

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I did know that :D but I thought the thread was a bit dry. Not enough water.

Good info though. If it warms up a bit after the weekend we may get down that far so that info is really useful........I'll make sure the duck swims under rather than crossing the road.

You can wind a few yards topside of Nell bridge lock if you need to :D

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

And you made it to the med you say? :)

Yeah, there were only two left turns, one when we got to Kinsale and one when we got to Cape ........(wotever it was where you turn left to get into the med .....up the coast from Lagos).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, philjw said:

Don't get confused when you get to The Rock of Gibralter on your trip then Dr Bob

When we went into the med, the wind was blowing 30knts so there was no way we were stopping at the Rock. Surfing down the waves......Wheeeeey!