Water purification

jddevel

Featured Posts

Usually nothing. Sometimes a bottle of cheap bleach into the empty tank, fill up and flush through pipes using the pump, allow to stand overnight, pump out and refill tank with fresh water a couple of times and job done.

This applies to Stainless steel tanks. For plastic I would use what the maker recommends while mild steel tanks require draining, access, de-rusting and the surfaces treated every few years unless you have had  a diligent 2 pack coating applied but even then it would need checking. That should keep any mild steel tanks safe enough.

I have used sterilising fluid ....1 litre , followed by a tank full of water ( 250 litres in my case)........... then pull the mixture  through all of the pipes by opening taps and leave to stand  a couple of hours . Then pump out using all taps on the boat and flush with at least another half tank of fresh water, then fully refill the tank with fresh water .

Others suggest a similar procedure but simply fill and flush out using fresh water  and no added chemicals and they may well be correct.

I used the following liquid  last time

http://www.poundland.co.uk/dr-johnsons-sterilising-fluid-1-litre

With regular use of the tank water over the so called warmer months I add  nothing extra . However I do use 5 litre bottles for drinking water so the contents can be  refreshed most days  as we are rarely moored more than short walk  from a tap.

Did ours yesterday. Partially empty the tank (it wasn't full as we like to leave expansion space lest it freezes), bottle of sterilising fluid, add some fresh water to ensure it was mixed in, run taps to get sterilesed water to them, wait about 90 minutes, empty tank and then refill with fresh water. We will probably drink bottled water until we have refilled the tank again. There will be some water with chlorine in it our tank but it will be well diluted so shouldn't taste. We only do this at the beginning of each season unless we get some dodgy tasting water from a tap somewhere on our travels.

The water authorities purify the water perfectly adequately,  so you just need to ensure your potable water system is clean enough not to contaminate it. For me, that's an annual job, and you pays yer money and takes your choice as to how you do that - some ideas above, I use Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner. 

The rest of the year I just run the tap before connecting to it, flush the hose and clean the ends before filling with it and make sure the area around my filler is clean before opening up.  Empty your hose and make sure it's clean before storing it somewhere clean. No need to empty your tank, but in winter I leave it less than half full in case of icing.  It is rare it'll freeze below the waterline, but it's as well to have room for expansion if it does. 

• Greenie 1

Over winter I drain the water off as far as is possible. And pleased I did so in recent weeks weather.  Ordinarily I would have said mid March is sufficiently warm - but not so  this year. I lost a shower head to frost one winter as had forgotten to shake out the water . It did go to minus 15 that year.

I have a hose pipe that is the food grade flat type so stores with only a small amount of water trapped in it . Used only for tank filling. Even so the hose  gets a good flush out before any water gets to the filler.

Other people I know have plenty of money  but  use cheap garden hoses and they are mentally unstable but these  things may not be connected.