Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The statement was addressed to Athy who may have found it interesting as it would explain and answer his question regarding who & what C&RT are.

I knew that Alan. Just being my usual relaxed self on a Sunday afternoon. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, magictime said:

Surely that's 'derriere vu'?

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with having a "derriere vu" (providing, of course, that you have the appropriate consent), but for you to have already had it you definitely need a "deja" (and, of course, prior consent).  

7 hours ago, magictime said:

Surely that's 'derriere vu'?

Didn't you already say that?

Edited by Sea Dog
Double post

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Yes, but it will be ready for next Christmas with another big press release.

I found C&RT's press release regarding the reopening somewhat muted. It perhaps has something to do with a reluctance to provide a copy of a report relating to cause of the breach.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

16 hours ago, nikvah said:

I don't know but it states a PVC liner was used.

i’m no expert, but surely wherever the liner ends the water will begin to creep round it, its not like lining a pond where the liner finishes above the water level is it.

might have to bring some of this years plans forward and cruise up there before it goes pop again :(

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

I'm still waiting for a reply and update from Duncan Davenport of CRT to my request sent on 23rd January.

So much for CRT code of conduct.

Perhaps  I and the problem leak are both being ignored?

It appears you are not the only one who has informal requests ignored -

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/closure_of_stratford_upon_avon_c

3 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

It appears you are not the only one who has informal requests ignored -

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/closure_of_stratford_upon_avon_c

On that particular request, there is of course no excuse for not responding, but why is it a big deal that lock 20 is closed.  Given there are two routes at the junction, it is not unreasonable to do works on that lock outside the normal closure program.

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

On that particular request, there is of course no excuse for not responding, but why is it a big deal that lock 20 is closed.  Given there are two routes at the junction, it is not unreasonable to do works on that lock outside the normal closure program.

It's a big deal because of the length of time it has been closed without official explanation or any stoppage notice.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Seems irrelevant to me as you can simply bypass that lock by using the one next to it and turning at the junction. Some people obviously have nothing else to worry about.

Seems to me that you have missed to point. Boater Sam is not alone in being ignored when asking perfectly reasonable questions.

On a lighter note, according to C&RT, it is lock 8 that you can bypass not lock 20. The 'apology' has since been removed without explanation.Lock8Closure.jpg.b048ab1fd145de51143ab71405bbe80f.jpg

Lock8ClosureLowRes.jpg

Just drov e under that aqueduct and the leak has reduced considerably. It always has been a bit damp, give it a while and it’ll be acceptable, I guess.

Ic e was not a problem last week.

The road aqueduct is maybe 100 yards East of the river aqueduct where the breach occurred.

Mike.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes, I wondered what that stoppage notice was about too.

As to Lock 20 being out of use.........

Well, leaving it that way is fine, until something happens to Lock 21.

You could say that about lock 19 or 22 as well.  There are not many locks that have another option, but lock 20 is one of those, so I can’t see what it is such a big deal, although there should be a stoppage notice.  Interestingly I don’t see a stoppage for lock 8 either, and I thought the works on the North Stratford were all before Christmas.  So are both 8 and 20 currently shut?

3 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Lock 20 was still shut when we were last there, about a month ago.

As that stoppage notice mentioned there was a nearby alternative I wondered if whoever posted it had meant Lock 20 instead of Lock 8.

You would assume so.   So was lock 8 ever shut, or was it just lock 20 all the time.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

You could say that about lock 19 or 22 as well.  There are not many locks that have another option, but lock 20 is one of those, so I can’t see what it is such a big deal, although there should be a stoppage notice.  Interestingly I don’t see a stoppage for lock 8 either, and I thought the works on the North Stratford were all before Christmas.  So are both 8 and 20 currently shut?

Lock 20 has been closed to navigation for at least five months with no stoppage notice. It is still shut.

Lock 8 has always been open despite a recent C&RT stoppage notice suggesting otherwise.

The works on the Northern Stratford took place before Christmas and works on the Southern Stratford are currently underway. The works at Dicks Lane (lock 25 and 26) should now have been completed.

The reason you can no longer see the stoppage notice for Lock 8 is that it has been removed in the last couple of days without explanation!

At face value, it would appear that C&RT issued the Lock 8 stoppage notice following Jessica Williams and 'Victor' writing about lock 20 in narrowboatworld -

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/11239-a-prime-example

A later narrowboatworld article suggested that C&RT was confusing lock 8 with lock 20 -

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/11253-it-s-lock-20-not-lock-8-cart

C&RT altered its lock 8 stoppage notice to remove its 'apology' which blamed the 'local team' (I assume they meant West Midlands Region). Later (probably yesterday or Thursday), it quietly removed the stoppage notice. The lock 8 stoppage notice no longer appears if you search the stoppage database but can be found here -

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14540/lock-8-north-stratford-canal

(Notice the difference between this and the screenshot I posted earlier).

Deleted last sentence and added some more information

27 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Lock 20 has been closed to navigation for at least five months with no stoppage notice. It is still shut.

Lock 8 has always been open despite a recent C&RT stoppage notice suggesting otherwise.

The works on the Northern Stratford took place before Christmas and works on the Southern Stratford are currently underway. The works at Dicks Lane (lock 25 and 26) should now have been completed.

The reason you can no longer see the stoppage notice for Lock 8 is that it has been removed in the last couple of days without explanation!

At face value, it would appear that C&RT issued the Lock 8 stoppage notice following Jessica Williams and 'Victor' writing about lock 20 in narrowboatworld -

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/11239-a-prime-example

A later narrowboatworld article suggested that C&RT was confusing lock 8 with lock 20 -

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/11253-it-s-lock-20-not-lock-8-cart

C&RT altered its lock 8 stoppage notice to remove its 'apology' which blamed the 'local team' (I assume they meant West Midlands Region). Later (probably yesterday or Thursday), it quietly removed the stoppage notice.

So you are saying the lock 8 one, for 2 days, was a error and it should have been lock 20 all along, and lock 8 has never been closed.  If it is just lock 20 then it is not big deal it does not stop Navigation from North Stratford to GU.  What is it that is wrong with lock 20?

22 minutes ago, john6767 said:

So you are saying the lock 8 one, for 2 days, was a error and it should have been lock 20 all along, and lock 8 has never been closed.  If it is just lock 20 then it is not big deal it does not stop Navigation from North Stratford to GU.  What is it that is wrong with lock 20?

Lock 8 has never been closed as far as I am aware. Lock 20 has been closed for five months at least. I do not know if lock 8 had a blocked culvert as claimed in the stoppage notice or it is lock 20 that has a blocked culvert ...

With regard to what is wrong with lock 20, only C&RT can say.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/12/2018 at 18:15, Alway Swilby said:

Have they put in some new mooring rings at the site like they did at Dutton? Or maybe that will come later (or not at all).

Yes they have put 8 in at about 36 feet apart (I just paced it out) at the west end so room for 3 boats, there were two of us there last night

DSCF1179small.jpg