Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In 2012 a group of business men with no experience decided to take over the running of a 200 year old waterways system without any understanding of what was needed to keep it 'open'.

Is the Middlewich branch privately run? I thought it was part of CART's waterways.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

O - you are norty !!!!

In what way? It was a genuine question. You mentioned that it was being run by "businessmen", which CART are not - they are a charitable trust.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

In what way? It was a genuine question. You mentioned that it was being run by "businessmen", which CART are not - they are a charitable trust.

C&RT are a 'Limited Company' (Limited by Guarantee - which means the Directors financial liabilities are limited if the company goes belly-up)

They are a commercial business allowed to buy and sell assets.

They are not a "Charity" but a Charitable Trust.

You many find it interesting to read their Company Articles Of Association' which explains what they can & cannot do.

9 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Sadly I have to report that the canal is still leaking out of the aqueduct onto the A530 road at Middlewich despite the £3.2M spend

I have been asking CRT what they are doing about it as there is a waterfall onto vehicles passing under the aqueduct, the brickwork is saturated and leaking.

The first answer was that they were monitoring the leak and that it would cease after the canal bed had been wet for a while countering the drying out during the works.

This has not been the case.

Asked what was going to happen when the weather turned colder and the water turned to icicles hanging from the bridge and the road was a sheet of ice, the reply was that the local authority were to increase the amount of grit spread on the road.

Luckily the weather in the area is still mild but with night frost.

A request for an update earlier this week has not even been acknowledged never mind answered. This is in breach  of CRT's code of conduct.

Does there have to be a serious accident on the road before action is taken?

Will the leak again be ignored until the canal breaches again?

That won't work. Running water will wash the salt away before it disolves, resulting in a sheet of ice with water on top of it; a perfect skid pan. Might be worth expressing concern to the local authority, who might put more pressure on CaRT.

9 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

(snip)

Asked what was going to happen when the weather turned colder and the water turned to icicles hanging from the bridge and the road was a sheet of ice, the reply was that the local authority were to increase the amount of grit spread on the road.

Luckily the weather in the area is still mild but with night frost.

A request for an update earlier this week has not even been acknowledged never mind answered. This is in breach  of CRT's code of conduct.

Does there have to be a serious accident on the road before action is taken?

Will the leak again be ignored until the canal breaches again?

As in other thread, that is not going to work, as runnng water will wash away any salt before it disolves. Worth expressing concern to the local authority, who may be able to apply more pressure to CaRT.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You could always report Sam for repeating across topics against forum guidelines.

He won't notice or object, because he probably has you on ignore like the rest of us!

Which might explain why CRT aren't simply doing as he says - he's surely on their ignore list! :banghead:

• Haha 1

IMHO complaints to CRT are a complete waste of time here - the local authority highways road safety route is the only one worth following up and for them to put pressure on CRT - local press and local councillors should also be engaged 

CRT won't care if they have to close and de-water again as the cost will be covered within their existing contracts and as before a load of disenfranchised boaters and hire companies wont make a blind bit of difference 

It will probably take a serious accident on the highway below before this is resolved.

NO IDEA which thread this should be on but I'm not going to repeat it elsewhere...……………………..

Edited by Halsey

I don't know the area [of course I don't], but I remember that the original breach was related to leakage in to a field not an aqueduct, is there a suggestion that this is a new breach, possible caused by repairing original breach. I can hardly believe that the proposed solution is to grit the roads! 

13 hours ago, Iain_S said:

As in other thread, that is not going to work, as runnng water will wash away any salt before it disolves. Worth expressing concern to the local authority, who may be able to apply more pressure to CaRT.

Who will simply close the canal, just in time for another summer season.

George

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't know the area [of course I don't], but I remember that the original breach was related to leakage in to a field not an aqueduct, is there a suggestion that this is a new breach, possible caused by repairing original breach. I can hardly believe that the proposed solution is to grit the roads! 

It has been suggested that the clay was removed from the aquaduct during the repairs and not replaced. But why should it have been? 

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It has been suggested that the clay was removed from the aquaduct during the repairs and not replaced. But why should it have been? 

February's Canal Boating Times shows a new concrete trough and says a waterproof lining was laid  for the repair.