Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

looks a bit narrow, is it "open"?

In post 558 there was reference to stank planks.

"Stank planks just before Wardle lock maintain the level of this reach about 2’ below normal"   is this a canal term, Funnily enough, a few weeks ago, I was discussing "stank" with my brother who is a civil engineer with world wide water expertise, and we both agreed stank is a scottish term for a manhole cover of the large square variety.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

"Stank planks just before Wardle lock maintain the level of this reach about 2’ below normal"   is this a canal term, Funnily enough, a few weeks ago, I was discussing "stank" with my brother who is a civil engineer with world wide water expertise, and we both agreed stank is a scottish term for a manhole cover of the large square variety.

It's a term with which I am familiar - e.g. "stank off a section of canal"

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There are several uses of the term, but this is probably the most relevant:

stank

(stæŋk) 

n
1. (Civil Engineering) a small cofferdam, esp one of timber made watertight with clay
2. (Physical Geography) dialect Scot and Northern English a pond or pool
vb
(Civil Engineering) (tr) to make (a stream, cofferdam, etc) watertight, esp with clay
[C13: from Old French estanc, probably from estancher to stanch]

24 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It's a term with which I am familiar - e.g. "stank off a section of canal"

There is a Scottish connection 

https://www.scotslanguage.com/articles/view/id/5318/type

I just found it strange that brother has not come across the usage, I believe he currently is writing a book about Telford, the first Civil Engineer and other things. It might be a textbook, I am not sure, I have not been sent a draft. 

My perception of leather tanning in the traditional way, involved a series of interconnected tanks,  which held hides which were being processed. So I can see the connection.   

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Commonly used around East Anglia when you stank off a waterway, not so common I have found on the canals. Interesting little read about it here http://nbchalkhillblue.blogspot.com/2017/02/lapworth-to-stank-or-to-stop.html

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Also a pond, usually man made, and thus including some sort of dam.

See Theft Act 1607 ? 

3 hours ago, The Ents said:

‘Tis was Tuesday. Lower dam removed, removing upper dam which also carried the vehicle access ramp.

The water is just a measure of the rain we’ve had!

Mike.

I know that the pic is very foreshortened, but which bridge is that in the distance?

9 minutes ago, The Ents said:

It is the bridge Byron Stanthorn lock. On a good day you can see the lock gates through the bridge ‘ole!

Mike.

Thanks - still a bit bemused - where were you standing when you took it? (Trying to align this pic with the ones I have when the canal was full)

and: I have now looked back at your July 7 pix and have a better idea - amazing how foreshortening changes the impression!

Edited by Mike Todd

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Thanks - still a bit bemused - where were you standing when you took it? (Trying to align this pic with the ones I have when the canal was full)

and: I have now looked back at your July 7 pix and have a better idea - amazing how foreshortening changes the impression!

I was stood by the towpath barrier for the works.

It is situated 50ft past the steps down to the Nantwich road.

I was maybe 300 yds from the bridge. (A drive and a wedge for me...)

Mike

1 hour ago, The Ents said:

I apologise for the quality of the image, it was lagging down.

Both dams now removed.

water maybe 5 ft down, counting bricks on the bank. More on Monday i expect

91AF32E8-1E41-4FFC-8D7C-A579E86C9307.jpeg

Both dams now removed?  I can see large chunks of the far dam visible in that photo.

It looks like the usual removal job where enough is removed so boats up to 2ft draught can squeeze through the middle, but anything deeper has to struggle!

Still, nothing unusual in that state of affairs. ?

George

6 minutes ago, The Ents said:

Glorious sight, the bywash at Wardle running well!

Looks good doesn’t it?

Not yet open to boaters, there are 3 CRT boats waiting to shift muck and barriers tomorrow.

Mike.

6F0E9BC8-64E8-4902-8CC5-B3F34192DEEB.jpeg

70CE6D95-773D-466B-AE96-30E7CFEE0B1E.jpeg

Is there a time for the opening do you know, or will they just unlock when they have done. We should be in Middlewich tomorrow night