Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Are they still pumping water back up into that length from the junction pound?

They had what appeared to be pipework etc at Wardle lock but I didn't see or hear any pumping when I was there.

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking News!

Sounds of piling yesterday and this morning.

Have all the badgers moved out?

Have the birds all flown off?

Have they finally run out of excuses for not starting work?

No newts or water voles stopping progress?

Stuck here on the moorings, getting a bit cynical.

Sam.

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

How come you are stuck? I thought all the boats were out, even the one that was high and dry

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No other traffic about, whats the problem

At a guess I'd think he is probably at Park Farm moorings so would need to reverse back to the winding hole below bridge 16, which Mr Google says is 2.54miles from his location (it's not even 4 miles from Stanforth lock to the winding hole). With no other traffic on the canal, I'd tend to agree with you that there shouldn't be any problem. It all rather depends upon how keen you are to go boating. When we go offshore sailing it takes us several hours just to prepare and check the boat, an hour an a half of reversing would be a small issue.

26 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

At a guess I'd think he is probably at Park Farm moorings so would need to reverse back to the winding hole below bridge 16, which Mr Google says is 2.54miles from his location (it's not even 4 miles from Stanforth lock to the winding hole). With no other traffic on the canal, I'd tend to agree with you that there shouldn't be any problem. It all rather depends upon how keen you are to go boating. When we go offshore sailing it takes us several hours just to prepare and check the boat, an hour an a half of reversing would be a small issue.

Indeed.  Some would rather snipe at CRT that go and do the (quieter than usual) Llangollen or the Shroppie.

10 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think that the point is that with unlimited funding the breach could be repaired very quickly, CRT do not have unlimited funding.

Every person, organisation or company has limited funding, the mark of good management is what they do with the funding they have and making it give the best return possible.

I am sure that most boaters would suggest that money spent on 'new signage', additional Directors, duck lanes, poetry on lock-beams etc, would be better spent on preventative maintenance.

If the Canals and locks are in such good condition (C&RT annual report) why are they having to 'ash' the L&L locks to stop leakage ?

11 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

When we go offshore sailing it takes us several hours just to prepare and check the boat, an hour an a half of reversing would be a small issue.

I'd be mighty impressed by anyone reversing four miles in an hour and a half. Four miles going forwards takes me an hour and a half!

I suggest it would take more like a whole day. Possibly a good deal more.

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Over the other eye. Then you can reverse backwards blind!

For you, Rusty, that was a very dignified answer which exceeded my expectations. :)

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Image result for where to stick it

Then he would be a "Super Sea-Dog"

Image result for super hero medal

Your first medal offering was most generous, so I'm happy to accept that one and decline the opportunity to upgrade. The roast chicken, however, looks a prize indeed! (That was a Sunday lunch invitation, right?)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think that the point is that with unlimited funding the breach could be repaired very quickly, CRT do not have unlimited funding.

It is really unclear (at least to me) how much faster the breach could be fixed given unlimited funding. To date most of the delay seems to be down to the inevitable planning, legal, regulatory and design issues that all have to be completed before much work can tart. Unless the unlimited funding is intended to be used as bribes to overcome the need to go through these stages (most of which are part of the changes in society that has reduced industrial accidents, reduced rapacious re-development for profit and many other things generally considered 'not a good thing'.)

18 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

It is really unclear (at least to me) how much faster the breach could be fixed given unlimited funding. To date most of the delay seems to be down to the inevitable planning, legal, regulatory and design issues that all have to be completed before much work can tart. Unless the unlimited funding is intended to be used as bribes to overcome the need to go through these stages (most of which are part of the changes in society that has reduced industrial accidents, reduced rapacious re-development for profit and many other things generally considered 'not a good thing'.)

I agree if this was a new structure but we are looking at repair of an existing structure here so why all the red tape the contractors should do a risk analysis and CRT should have in place the original scheme of embankment build and watertight bed etc. All this work has been done by engineers long dead so stop redesigning and get on with the job it is easier than when originally built with machinery now available