Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

Interestingly I am on the Bridgewater at the moment and just crossed the River Bollin Aqueduct, this was also the site of a breach in the 1970s that closed the canal for a couple of years, About quarter of a mile away is Dunham Woodhouse Underbridge and the water leaks through it like a sieve.

DSCF0765small.jpg

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interestingly I am on the Bridgewater at the moment and just crossed the River Bollin Aqueduct, this was also the site of a breach in the 1970s that closed the canal for a couple of years, About quarter of a mile away is Dunham Woodhouse Underbridge and the water leaks through it like a sieve.

based on comments about the Bridgewater if a similar breach happened now it would be the end of the canal, but they would continue to charge license fees until you had paid to have your boat craned out and removed by road.

9 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

based on comments about the Bridgewater if a similar breach happened now it would be the end of the canal, but they would continue to charge license fees until you had paid to have your boat craned out and removed by road.

From what I have read it was the end of the canal then, and someone else paid to repair it http://ukaqueducts.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/bollin-aqueduct.html

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Is there any update on this? - not easy to find anything concrete.....

As of  Star Wars day (May the fourth)

The construction of the access route and compound area in readiness for the repair works is complete. An access ramp down into the bed of the canal is now being installed in preparation for laying an access road along the canal bed to the breach area.

A significant amount of ground investigation work and analysis of material samples has been carried out and this is nearing completion.  This information is critical for the design work, which is also progressing well.

Apparently a Badger sett is causing problems and procedures for their care have to be put in place and approved.

Unlikely to be repaired this (season) year.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently a Badger sett is causing problems and procedures for their care have to be put in place and approved.

Ach, just cull ‘em...

:::coat:::

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Is there any update on this? - not easy to find anything concrete.....

They haven't said if they are going to be using any concrete. :)

23 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ach, just cull ‘em...

:::coat:::

If the badgers are still alive then the breach isn't their fault. They should be allowed to live! If their sett caused it they would have drowned.

Jen

• Greenie 1

There is, or should I say was, a sluice on the off side just opposite the breach. The drone photos show it quite damaged. There is no further outflow until the bywash at Wardle. The towpath at the aqueduct was low and the centre of the failure was where CRT access steps went down to the river.

The paddles at Stanthorne were all open at 11pm or so, long enough for the level in the pound above Stanthorne to fall more than 6 inches. This is a pound maybe 4 miles long. Too much water in the wrong place.

You might be able to see the access ramp into the canal newly built this week. Heavy machinery is in the canal bed.

Delay is caused by having two get permission to erect cameras to see if a Badger set is active or not!!!

3C900B1D-4234-46AB-977D-F09F9A2BF34B.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The CRT updates page reports that they're hoping for the repair to be completed by the end of the year, with work scheduled to start mid-July.

Seems a bit optimistic but it's encouraging given that word has suggested it'll take at least 12 months or longer. A long way to go yet I guess.

Edited by Philip

10 hours ago, Philip said:

The CRT updates page reports that they're hoping for the repair to be completed by the end of the year, with work scheduled to start mid-July.

Seems a bit optimistic but it's encouraging given that word has suggested it'll take at least 12 months or longer. A long way to go yet I guess.

It would be interesting if they where to run a update on proposed plan and and progression of work throughout the period to completion.Me i would expect armco and lots of Puddle clay then use dredged soil to build up the banking followed by the planting of low growing shrubs .

Edited by b0atman

Am I correct in assuming that had a boat been moored close to that breech it would have been swept down to the river?

Edited by WotEver
Typo

The boat that got away with it was only feet from the breach. If there was one moored at the breach it might well have prevented the breach.

On the other hand it might have gone down the hole.....

IMHO.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rgreg said:

I had a wander up to the breach site today; there was quite a bit of activity taking place. The last image is looking back down a rather forlorn Wardle canal. 

Are they still pumping water back up into that length from the junction pound?