Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

So the engine does not get flooded, shortly followed by the rest of the boat.

How would water get through the engine via the exhaust and out into the boat?

I suppose one cylinder might just possibly have both exhaust and inlet valves slightly open at the same time, in which case it could get out of the air inlet, but this seems unlikely.

I think the reason is more likely to prevent damage to the engine from hydraulic lock.

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How would water get through the engine via the exhaust and out into the boat?

I suppose one cylinder might just possibly have both exhaust and inlet valves slightly open at the same time, in which case it could get out of the air inlet, but this seems unlikely.

I think the reason is more likely to prevent damage to the engine from hydraulic lock.

Also water getting past the rings into the sump and out through breathers. Seems unlikely but possible.

21 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Also water getting past the rings into the sump and out through breathers. Seems unlikely but possible.

Surely you just don’t want Water getting anywhere near the engine, period. It matters not if you might get hydraulic lock or mayonnaise in the sump, you simply want to avoid it happening in the first place. Hence the bungs. 

9 hours ago, Philip said:

The Shroppie has been quieter today than it probably would have been. It's a shame this canal is mainly used as a trunk link, do people get bored of the straight bits so as not to bother taking an out and back trip on it?

In our case, we get bored with endless lines of moored boats.

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

It's concerning that there hasn't been any kind of update. Bad news would be better than no news.

WW tweeted today "£20,000 donations to Middlewich breach so far -<1% of expected bill of £2m+ - while canal expected to be closed until Christmas:"

This week a new road has been put in from Stanthorn where there is access to a main road, to the western side of the breach. Trees have been cleared where access is required to the site. The water level in the reach from the breach to Wardle lock has been adjusted to keep the clay wet. Oh and some prat has vandalised the viewing windows in the tow path barrier so they are now boarded up.

Mike.

17 minutes ago, jeanb said:

WW tweeted today "£20,000 donations to Middlewich breach so far -<1% of expected bill of £2m+ - while canal expected to be closed until Christmas:"

Says £16,431 on the justgiving website. Perhaps gift aid and other giving make up the difference ...
The amount raised is roughly similar to the Dutton appeal at the same stage.

Our contractors have installed a stone access road. Next, they will install the temporary stone ramp to allow construction vehicles access to the bed of the canal.

The design to repair the breach is progressing well. The topographic survey information shows that 2,800m3 of the embankment has been washed away – that's over 200 lorry loads - and it will need to be replaced. Our engineers are assessing the condition of the arch of the aqueduct, currently there has been no structural damage to the arch, however due to the loss of ground, a careful assessment is needed to confirm whether construction vehicles can safely cross it. 

Badgers around the breach

Badger stood looking at cameraDue to badger setts on the opposite embankment, we'll face significant constraints on delivery of materials. The main active badger sett is not directly affected by the breach repairs itself but is close to the access route and western section of lining. It means we will need a disturbance licence: we’re installing cameras to monitor any badger activity and applying for the necessary licences.

We're hoping to confirm realistic budgets and timescales by the end of May but, at the moment, our best estimate is that repairs will take six months from June at a cost of between £2m and £3m.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our contractors have installed a stone access road. Next, they will install the temporary stone ramp to allow construction vehicles access to the bed of the canal.

The design to repair the breach is progressing well. The topographic survey information shows that 2,800m3 of the embankment has been washed away – that's over 200 lorry loads - and it will need to be replaced. Our engineers are assessing the condition of the arch of the aqueduct, currently there has been no structural damage to the arch, however due to the loss of ground, a careful assessment is needed to confirm whether construction vehicles can safely cross it. 

Badgers around the breach

Badger stood looking at cameraDue to badger setts on the opposite embankment, we'll face significant constraints on delivery of materials. The main active badger sett is not directly affected by the breach repairs itself but is close to the access route and western section of lining. It means we will need a disturbance licence: we’re installing cameras to monitor any badger activity and applying for the necessary licences.

We're hoping to confirm realistic budgets and timescales by the end of May but, at the moment, our best estimate is that repairs will take six months from June at a cost of between £2m and £3m.

I am amazed, staggered, angry...2 or 3 million to repair a 70 metre ditch, really? Badgers that are culled in some areas need to be worried about? Work begins in June? 200 lorry loads, that will be a days work then.MAD.

52 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

There is a story, possibly untrue, that one of the farmers who was asked to provide access to the site demanded £1000 a day..........................

Ransom strips are just that . . . 

I recall that the repair to the Dutton Breach was significantly delayed through negotiating access. Given the geography of canals, any breach is likely to have access issues for the repair, especially now that we can no longer rely on an army of barely-paid navvies living in insanitary conditions with no health and safety, to shift materials by wheelbarrow. Social progress is a shame isn't it?

In any event, contract lawyers will also get in the way and it may well be that 90% of the time to get formal agreement takes place after the informal stage - not least when the equivalent of ambulance-chasers start to advise the farmer!

Just now, Mike Todd said:

Ransom strips are just that . . . 

I recall that the repair to the Dutton Breach was significantly delayed through negotiating access. Given the geography of canals, any breach is likely to have access issues for the repair, especially now that we can no longer rely on an army of barely-paid navvies living in insanitary conditions with no health and safety, to shift materials by wheelbarrow. Social progress is a shame isn't it?

In any event, contract lawyers will also get in the way and it may well be that 90% of the time to get formal agreement takes place after the informal stage - not least when the equivalent of ambulance-chasers start to advise the farmer!

It would be fascinating to record the behind-the-scenes work that has to be undertaken for these major events. Perhaps one of the boater groups could suggest to CaRT that they have a plan in place to do this right from the off. Not only would it help the engineers review their work at later leisure but more importantly would do a lot to improve public awareness and understanding of what it is has to be done in today's context. (We may well bemoan the impact of certain rules and regulations but they ain't going to change in the time frame of an urgent repair even if there is a proper debate to be held later)

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

There is a story, possibly untrue, that one of the farmers who was asked to provide access to the site demanded £1000 a day..........................

That's a good incentive to stop 'mucking about' and get the job done quickly.

When I had our house built, I put a penalty clause in of 1% per day of the price for every day they went past the completion date - the potential of £4000 per day certainly incentivised them.

As a 'sweetener' I also included a clause that I would 'pay them' 50% of any savings made (against budget) - it was surprising how many cost saving ideas they came up with - and implemented.

The house was built under budget and on time - despite the worst snow for many years.

28-12-05a.JPG

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When I had our house built, I put a penalty clause in of 1% per day of the price for every day they went past the completion date - the potential of £4000 per day certainly incentivised them.

As a 'sweetener' I also included a clause that I would 'pay them' 50% of any savings made (against budget) - it was surprising how many cost saving ideas they came up with - and implemented.

The house was built under budget and on time - despite the worst snow for many years.

But also see the Minworth experience. Cost saving is not always a great idea - value adding is, but not always easy to measure. You may also, as client, not find it simple to assess the downside of any cost saving proposal. Until it is too late . . . 

3 hours ago, b0atman said:

Quite amazing how the badgers are causing a problem yet in other parts of the country they are maybe getting culled .

In Derbyshire the authorities are simultaneously culling badgers, vaccinating others and have just prosecuted a woman for illegally killing one.

George (nb Badger, feeling threatened)

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

28-12-05a.JPG

Pretty standard project management technique, coupled with insurance backed guarantees for the contractors work.

CRT should employ some experienced project and contract managers, it might improve their performance.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Pretty standard project management technique, coupled with insurance backed guarantees for the contractors work.

CRT should employ some experienced project and contract managers, it might improve their performance.

CRT should employ some competent project managers full stop.  Abrogating responsibility to Kier, as they have,  is a recipe for gettinv coMmercially shafted.

N