Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And these guys will bring what to the party ?

Ian Wainwright
Road freight programme manager at Transport for London and previously senior policy officer for Freight having spent 18 years in the logistics business.

Mark Grimshaw-Smith
Head of Rail and Sea freight operations for CEMEX UK.

The Freight group was formed to look in detail at what prospects (if any) there were for increasing the tonnage of freight (currently about 275,000 tonnes per annum) carried on CRT waterways, the major ones especially.  Ian was a valuable member of the group with his knowledge of logistics and freight generally.  Mark is head of rail and sea freight (this includes inland waterways both in the UK and abroad)  and organised and championed continued use of water for moving Cemex materials - inland waterway examples in the UK including the very long running movements at Attenborough (until pit closure) and the very large tonnages moved on the River Severn and Thames currently.  He also owns a narrow boat and boats extensively!

The Group, chaired by Dr David Quarmby (also a boater)  produced a report which was accepted by the Trust to positively encourage freight on its waterways - the Commercial ones in particular - though the coal boats and other similar users were welcome users on the narrow canals. The group recommended making a start in the north east, prioritising the waterways radiating from the Humber because they offered the most potential, looking at developing a site at Stourton as the Port of Leeds.  The group assisted with the revival of the oil traffic to Rotherham then stood down (but could be revived) as the task was finished  and a steering group has taken the Port of Leeds project forward with designs, planning permission, costings, partnering with port operators, obtaining funding etc.  It's expected that the sea dredged sand initiative from Hull to Leeds (Fleet) will start this summer (all being well) as a first stage in this development. 

In answer to the question of costs everyone on the partnerships and advisory boards is a volunteer, no-one gets paid.

I would also echo Alan's point that towpath improvements, waterway art projects and similar activities are almost all funded by third parties.

Regards David L

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I will be going to have a look at the Middlewich Arm tomorrow, I understand that at least 2 of the stranded boats have suffered some damage from vandals. 

Unfortunately so! Hope owners or cart have managed to seal up broken windows with plastic etc to keep rain out. If I was having new windows I would insist on Laminated glass, not toughened. At least laminated stays together.

James.

There is a youth custody centre in Middlewich. The "guest" are released during the day into the town, to amuse themselves as they see fit.

We moor above Stanthorne lock, have had 2 boats broken into in the last 10 years, seemingly for a rough sleeper to shelter in, minimal damage, no theft.

Its easier to Knock than praise it seems.  CRT don't get it wrong as often in my view as some would have us believe. I have few complaints or criticisms of their stewardship, and have on occasion been very satisfied with their response to my needs.

They do better than I could.......................

• Greenie 1

Largo's rear port hole was also smashed last spring, by two yuvs in that pound at about 9-45 one night in Feb. I actually heard them laughing outside the boat, so I pricked up my ears and had a listen. Then there was an almighty crash that frightened the life out of me!

By the time I got out of the boat and gave chase, they were down by the next bridge legging it far faster than my old legs could ever go!

9i often wondered what would of happened if i had caught em!

I reported it immediately to the police and to Cart and got the local Cart officer's phone number. I phoned her a number of times and left messages, but never did I get a reply!

It's cost me £180 to get the double glazed window repaired, my insurance company wanted separate estimates to take out the window, replace the glass, and refit. and gave me reams of paperwork to fill out!

I did it myself in the end  well, myself and Channel Glaze!

That insurance company did not get my renewal this year!

It's not the cost of replacing that is the problem, it's all the taking out, boarding securely up and getting the port hole to the glazers and then picking it up again that is the problem, especially if your a CC'r that cruises and has no other transport!

Lets hope the breach will be completed by the next cruising season, Autumn!

Nipper

Edited by nipper
to add some sort of an attempt at diction!

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

If you say so :)

Because it was a non-trivial point that you missed, perhaps I'd better spell it out:

Very often, especially as people move into dotage, it is visual memories that last the longest and are, even for most other people, the most vivid. It was not that I wanted to remember the words on the lock beam but rather that I do remember the installation visually.

Just because some things get knocked by 'traditionalists' (aka . . . ) when they are first create does not necessarily mean that they will not be seen differently by others and by many in years to come. Many innovators are misunderstood in their own time/town.

Not all art (in whatever medium) is good or will survive but some does and we are the richer for it. Otherwise we would all have to live in caves to have any kind of visual stimulation (cave art)

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Because it was a non-trivial point that you missed, perhaps I'd better spell it out:

Non-trivial to you perhaps but of virtually zero interest to me. Nevertheless I understood your original point completely. Whether or not I agree with it is irrelevant - it’s your opinion to which you are entitled. 

20 hours ago, WotEver said:

Would she also help me with my poetry while I’m waiting?

... then it probably belongs to Dr Bob

Ha. Have a greenie. You've been on 999 for 24 hrs.

I think the CRT should employ Auntie Waitrose to raise the money. Sell a few sewing machines and Tilley lamps to fund the breach.

Boats being moved out. I know we knock CaRT sometimes, but they said Friday would be the start, so well done, Credit where it's due ( sure someone will find a reason to be negative!)

18 hours ago, RAB said:

Boats being moved out. I know we knock CaRT sometimes, but they said Friday would be the start, so well done, Credit where it's due ( sure someone will find a reason to be negative!)

Yes, could have had the opening through towpath blocked and hole in canal bed filled in, and canal back in use with restricted width by breach, now 9 days since breach and mothering started or organised.

14 minutes ago, Dave-Shrop said:

Yes, could have had the opening through towpath blocked and hole in canal bed filled in, and canal back in use with restricted width by breach, now 9 days since breach and mothering started or organised.

Really? Have you seen just how wide the collapse actually is? And how steep the embankment is?

37 minutes ago, Dave-Shrop said:

I don't think you're being serious but the CRT engineer explains clearly what is happening in the video posted previously.

43 minutes ago, Dave-Shrop said:

All carried out by porcine aviation, no doubt.

5 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Really? Have you seen just how wide the collapse actually is? And how steep the embankment is?

Yes, the width trench created by overflowing water is only about 30 feet, the embankment either side is still there, nothing like Dutton, although part of towpath has been washed away, once that trench is blocked and the canal filled in it could hold the water. The pressure on the sides is very small particularly as the canal is so shallow at the edges, the main force/pressure is down through the bed of the canal. if necessary a dam could be put around it.  It only washed away that section because it overflowed at it was lower there due to access for staff to inspect the aqueduct.   I do wonder whether the overflow channel/culvert further along was last inspected.

MB.png

The Middlewich Branch breach is on the Telford engineered waterway that linked the T & M Wardle branch with the main Ellesmere & Chester Canal. Telford had problems with the nature Cheshire Marl when building this canal. This marl proved an unsuitable foundation when making embankments. When exposed to air it liquified and ran away. The embankments were built wider in consequence. Substantial engineering were required at the valley crossings and some six years were needed to complete this waterway.

Historians have often commented on the engineering issues had on building the Birmingham & Liverpool Junction Canal, yet similar challenges were met on the Middlewich Branch. Though for the Middlewich Telford was alive to witness the opening of that waterway!