Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think they would need an abstraction licence for that

But they’re only taking back what was theirs in the first place ;)

Couldn’t they argue that they only loaned it to the river?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

But they’re only taking back what was theirs in the first place ;)

Couldn’t they argue that they only loaned it to the river?

I think it may have left the area by now, I expect the Manchester Ship Canal company would sell it back to them

Went to take a look at progress of repairs etc.  No pumps on site at Wardle Lock (circa mid-day) but trickle of water entering the canal further up, possibly run-off from a storm drain.  Noticed that two of the stranded boats had suffered broken windows, probably due to vandalism.  One had two portholes and a large rectangular window smashed  (Casa Dwr, Reg. No. 515773); the other just one porthole (Lakatoi, Reg No. 513537).  Speaking to a local out walking his dog he said that it must have occurred overnight.  Notified C & RT on their Incident hotline but got put on hold when referred to the local team.  I imagine that they are aware already but the owners may not have been notified yet.  If anyone knows who they are please relay this information to them.  

That is terrible about the boats.

If you have not seen it the latest CRT update on their web site, dated today 21st

We've installed a portadam downstream of Stanthorne Lock to start the process of re-watering the section. This will be done using three, six inch pumps which will pump water from the Trent & Mersey Canal by Wardle Lock to enable the stranded boats to be re-floated and allow them access onto the Trent & Mersey Canal. The pumps will be arriving by boat today and it is anticipated that pumping will start on Thursday morning.

Portadam photo taken looking towards the breach, Stanthorn lock in the distance.

Metal frameworks behind plasticky stuff in front.

CRT have made the broken windows safe.

Pumps arrived, don’t know when the pumping will start

0F29E33B-ED0F-48BC-835E-62E473F1CB93.jpeg

2 minutes ago, nigel carton said:

So I’ve had the email, can you donate.... well yes I will as long as you ditch the 2m your going to waist re branding CRT 

I've emailed offering to do it for £1.5m. 

No response yet....

A lot of people moan about CaRT not working very quickly. I think all boaters should be thankful  for getting this dam in place quickly and also using the opportunity to clear out the crap. If it is a contractor doing the work, CaRT must got on to them post haste. Well done CaRT !

45 minutes ago, nigel carton said:

So I’ve had the email, can you donate.... well yes I will as long as you ditch the 2m your going to waist re branding CRT 

I've emailed them suggesting they treat the increase in my licence and mooring fees as a donation. I have even offered to gift aid it. I have also suggested that the 40% of staff awarded bonuses of between £25 and £25,000 last year may wish to donate and gift aid.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Oh you can be completely in charge.  I'll just assist by doing the trivial bit of paperwork that says INVOICE across the top.

Don’t try that one Sonny Jim, I’ve met your sort before. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Can I make the tea?

You can, as long as you promise to spit in the tea of any British Gas engineer that calls. See my boiler thread for the reasons why)

Edited by Dyertribe