Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

This is all getting a bit silly now. The length of the breach is relatively short. All they need is a big tube. They build tunnels under rivers like this all the time. Get a big enough piece of tube. Crane it over the breach. Lower it down. Bit of silicone sealant either end and Bobs your uncle..........breach repaired....fill with water and we are all systems go......and we'll have a new tunnel to go under. Make it 9' 11" wide and that will stop fat boats going through:P. A weeks work.

Are there many fat boats between those two locks?  Where did they get craned in?!

This is a young guy called Brad. I've been watching his videos for some time now as he magnet fishes in The Manchester area. An activity I also indulge in, elsewhere (mainly around locks for windlasses and mooring pins).

He is a responsible individual who has tried to engage with C&RT, and assures he gets the rubbish he drags out collected.

He has just put up this one about the breach and I offer it as he shows the damage and also Jim's "Elizabeth". I'm not opening a discourse about his hobby or his following the Mail's stupidity regarding it being a sinkhole or his jumping a fence or blah, blah, blah ....... I share it because he gets close.

Edited by zenataomm
My trousers were on fire and distracted me.

1 minute ago, kawaton said:

Hmmm, huge cocaine stash,dumped canalside, found by moles, rabbits and badgers.  The result is catastrophic

Shsss - The canal towpath is busy enough without everyone knowing this!....

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is a quick temporary fix really on the cards for this? 

A Portadam is on it's way to recover the boats. The canal repair will take much longer I should have thought

A few scaffolding poles driven vertically into the towpath to hold in place some builders bags full of granite. A rubber membrane held down by strategically placed bags of smokeless and hey presto, we're good to go. 

Clerk of works? Nick Norman

Hmmm maybe - If the dam gets placed so that ALL the stranded boats get out (as opposed to those downstream of the last bridge) I reckon its something like 1.9 million gallons. That's about 8000 tones of water. The wider the dam the more pressure it needs to withstand. Someone will probably have a better idea of the pressure on the dam itself but I would think you would need to dump a fair amount of material in to hold that back

14 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

Hmmm maybe - If the dam gets placed so that ALL the stranded boats get out (as opposed to those downstream of the last bridge) I reckon its something like 1.9 million gallons. That's about 8000 tones of water. The wider the dam the more pressure it needs to withstand. Someone will probably have a better idea of the pressure on the dam itself but I would think you would need to dump a fair amount of material in to hold that back

The force on a dam is independent of the volume (and weight)  of water behind it. It only depends on the area and shape of the dam.

MP.

ETA The portadams that CRT use seem to do fine at standard canal depths.

Edited by MoominPapa

16 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

I think you need to go back to physics class, pressure is a product of depth, not width. As has been noted portadams are a quick and easy way of forming dams using very little material:

http://onsite.co.uk/capability/portadam/

http://onsite.co.uk/case_study/camden-lock-portadam/

Tim