Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, speedypete202 said:

It may have leaked more seriously for a period of up to five and a half hours before the breach as all four paddles were up on Stanthorne lock when the police and I closed them just after midnight. I assume that the level had dropped and someone had, with the best intentions, opened them to fill the pound back up. Of course, they could have been left up through negligence or recklessness but lazy boaters tend to leave just one set of paddles up. If this is the case, I would hope it serves as a stark reminder of the disastrous consequences such stupidity can cause. 

Whether the increased flow / level had a hand in causing the breach I can't say but the extra water coming down from Stanthorne certainly led to much faster erosion of the canal. 

I seem to recall that the Dutton breach was blamed in part on water overtopping the towpath (due to intense rainfall) and rapidly eroding a channel. Is there any possibility that the flow through Stanthorne could have raised the level far enough to overtop? I can't recall how much "freeboard" there is there (but there is a very dodgy looking bit near the Croxton repair).

12 minutes ago, Peter Thornton said:

Worth reading the comments below ........

Well that is very disconcerting. It says it was the Russians that did it! Mr Putin is after us boaters. It's a long way from Porton Down so it must be him.

Edited by Dr Bob

10 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

I seem to recall that the Dutton breach was blamed in part on water overtopping the towpath (due to intense rainfall) and rapidly eroding a channel. Is there any possibility that the flow through Stanthorne could have raised the level far enough to overtop? I can't recall how much "freeboard" there is there (but there is a very dodgy looking bit near the Croxton repair).

Part of the answer to that is the arrangements for overflow in that pound. Looking on Google maps, there's a substantial overflow weir on the offside between the lock and the aqueduct, and there's the by-wash at Wardle lock, which I recall being capable of significant flow. The offside overflow must discharge into the river, and seems to do so via an underground culvert, rather than an open channel, so I guess there's a possibility that collapsed or blocked at the crucial time.

MP.

Latest from CRT:

19/03/18 - Update

Engineers and Customer Operations Teams have spent the last few days assessing the breach and prioritising works to be carried out including undertaking a fish rescue and tree assessment

The next steps include putting a portadam in place this week, downstream of the breach which will then enable water to be pumped from the Trent & Mersey Canal into the Middlewich Branch allowing boats in the affected section to be in water

The navigation will still be closed to other boats as passage cannot be gained through Stanthorne Lock

Check out our twitter page @CRTNWalesBorder for more regular updates

Thank you for your patience whilst we work hard to fix this

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12553/standthorne-lock-to-wardle-lock

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's one of the countries top selling newspaper produced by professional journalists.

If you want an accurate and thoughtful article then a little local publication from a small town might be better:

http://middlewichdiary.com/2018/03/a-serious-breachmarch-16th-2018.html

............Dave

This is all getting a bit silly now. The length of the breach is relatively short. All they need is a big tube. They build tunnels under rivers like this all the time. Get a big enough piece of tube. Crane it over the breach. Lower it down. Bit of silicone sealant either end and Bobs your uncle..........breach repaired....fill with water and we are all systems go......and we'll have a new tunnel to go under. Make it 9' 11" wide and that will stop fat boats going through:P. A weeks work.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Bit of silicone sealant either end and Bobs your uncle....

My uncle was called Reg. I had another one called Eric but I never had one called Bob. Does that mean the tunnel wouldn’t work?