Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Come on Nick.

Nobody reads ZATAOMM!

It's purpose is to sit in a prominent position on the bookshelf in order to convince visitors that one is cool.

:D

I've read it and I am definitely not cool, interesting read as it happens

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Someone saw someone with a green hat running away!

Someone saw someone with a green hat running away!

Wot twice? Must have been too much Jamesons Whiskey

ETA. You also have a green hat!

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Wot twice? Must have been too much Jamesons Whiskey

ETA. You also have a green hat!

It was 3 times before I did the edit. My 4G is having a hissy fit. Better sort itself out before the Liverpool game at tea time!

What an  unfortunate place to have an embankment collapse. Hadnt really twigged till I looked at the map just now. So assuming its going to take all summer to fix, will it be quieter or busier going up the Llangollen this year? Scuppers our plan of up the T&M and back via the Shroppie.

We are all doomed.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

So assuming its going to take all summer to fix, will it be quieter or busier going up the Llangollen this year?

It's been busy there since Pavarotti visited in 1955:)(and he didn't even have a boat)

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

It was 3 times before I did the edit. My 4G is having a hissy fit. Better sort itself out before the Liverpool game at tea time!

What an  unfortunate place to have an embankment collapse. Hadnt really twigged till I looked at the map just now. So assuming its going to take all summer to fix, will it be quieter or busier going up the Llangollen this year? Scuppers our plan of up the T&M and back via the Shroppie.

We are all doomed.

I would imagine both the Shroppie and Llangollen will be a lot quieter; other than the Four Countries traffic, a lot of people heading to the Llangollen and to Autherley and the Staffs & Worcester come from the Middlewich Branch.

On the 18th October 1939 after over 2" of rain had fallen in 24 hours the embankment at Weedon breached. Looking at the photograph in David Blagrove's, 'The  Waterways of Northhamptonshire' the breach seems at least as serious as the Middlewich one.The civil engineering was probably based on different materials but, because the canal was vital to the war effort,  a temporary channel was laid and traffic was running again in a few days.This might be a solution but it was probably based on empirical engineering rather than too much mathematics. Regards, HughC.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, hughc said:

On the 18th October 1939 after over 2" of rain had fallen in 24 hours the embankment at Weedon breached. Looking at the photograph in David Blagrove's, 'The  Waterways of Northhamptonshire' the breach seems at least as serious as the Middlewich one.The civil engineering was probably based on different materials but, because the canal was vital to the war effort,  a temporary channel was laid and traffic was running again in a few days.This might be a solution but it was probably based on empirical engineering rather than too much mathematics. Regards, HughC.

In 1939 we still had people that could build things without resorting to H and S and management every ten minutes. It will probably take longer just to have meetings about meetings this day and age than it did to do the whole job in 39.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Aye, it didn't matter if a few plebs got killed in the process in them days. There were plenty more to fill the gaps, wot with no mollycoddling social security benefits for the idle blighters to fall back on.  Sadly, by 1945, those in charge had managed to kill most of them off by other means which meant the few left had to have a bit more care taken of them...

Social security came in in 34 iirc?

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It would, but the thousands of tonnes of concrete you then pour into it might not unless you have the engineer's best friend, an FBH.

And if that doesn’t work then the FBH wasn’t FB enough...

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

A motorway sliproad/embankment in USA has been built out of polystyrene blocks. Simple to carry across the fields.

Let me see, didn't the Americans try to install a new type of bridge last week that lasted just 5 days http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/03/15/6883733553274466586/960x540_MP4_6883733553274466586.mp4

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

A motorway sliproad/embankment in USA has been built out of polystyrene blocks. Simple to carry across the fields.

The female engineer who used polystyrene blocks to support the on & off ramps to a seven lane highway in Boston USA was interviewed in the BBC Radio 4 program The Life Scientific. 
Well worth a listen to the half hour program
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09sn7yk

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:48, Richard T said:

The breach may only be one field from the main road but that is to the offside of the canal. To gain access to the towpath side is more difficult as there are some expensive looking houses fronting onto the main road and the owner will not want heavy plant going through their gardens!! The best access is from Coalpit Lane down a cart track and across two fairly large fields.

Why can they not use the canal Bed for access and site works, crane tracked plant from main Road onto canal Bed and drive to site. There is matting available which is used in fields to move plant if necessary.  The fields on both sides are much lower than the canal and I can not see how they could work from there, also the river is in the way.   I could not understand why they paid the farmer for use of his field for two years at Dutton. 

There is a large tree washed down with big roots which was up the top, roots trying to get water disturbed the embankment.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Would polystyrene take a mooring pin?

Mooring pins Banned, unless you want to be prosecuted by the racing cyclist