Brokers

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

What brokers are recommended? ABNB and Rugby Boats are two that spring to mind.

as for the ok brokers and poor brokers i'm unsure.

is the broker actually that important?  after all there's no warranty on a nb, the brokers (generally) don't own the nbs, they just act as an estate agent effectively?

12 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

What brokers are recommended? ABNB and Rugby Boats are two that spring to mind.

as for the ok brokers and poor brokers i'm unsure.

is the broker actually that important?  after all there's no warranty on a nb, the brokers (generally) don't own the nbs, they just act as an estate agent effectively?

Not important at all. However they are like estate agents in that they have most or at least lots of boats on their books so you usualy have to buy through them due to the small print.

Having said that I have never bought a boat on brokerage without meeting and talking to the owner personaly.

2 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

can i ask why?

I'm not prepared to give detail but suffice to say a while back Great Heywood sold a boat to a staff member for less than I offered - they are car salespeople who know nothing about customer service or boats and the accuracy/value of their website is a joke - and .................. you have to be in some sort of private club to be allowed (by appointment only) to buy from them??

4 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

buying

If buying you still need to be dealing with an honourable broker who you can trust to be representing the situation honestly - my recommendations still apply.

16 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I'm not prepared to give detail but suffice to say a while back Great Heywood sold a boat to a staff member for less than I offered - they are car salespeople who know nothing about customer service or boats and the accuracy/value of their website is a joke 

If buying you still need to be dealing with an honourable broker who you can trust to be representing the situation honestly - my recommendations still apply.

Agreed.

As a counterpoint, I bought my boat from GHBS, only because the boat that both my wife and I liked the most was there. I would havery ought the boat from whoever was selling the one I wanted to buy.

I found them very professional, including allowing me to renegotiate the agreed price when the survey discovered a "faulty" charger part of a combi  (which miraculously worked when I plugged the boat into my home mooring so was probably a tripped breaker on the shore supply), despite their T&Cs limiting the renegotion to serious faults over 5% of the purchase price.

45 minutes ago, cuthound said:

As a counterpoint, I bought my boat from GHBS, only because the boat that both my wife and I liked the most was there. I would havery ought the boat from whoever was selling the one I wanted to buy.

I found them very professional, including allowing me to renegotiate the agreed price when the survey discovered a "faulty" charger part of a combi  (which miraculously worked when I plugged the boat into my home mooring so was probably a tripped breaker on the shore supply), despite their T&Cs limiting the renegotion to serious faults over 5% of the purchase price.

Rugby boat sales did this for me (despite warning me that they would not take the 5% figure out of the contract in advance). As I have said previously, they were clearly representing the vendor but I always thought they were fair with me.

I should say that this was when Dominick was the owner, I know nothing about his successor.

4 hours ago, frahkn said:

Rugby boat sales did this for me (despite warning me that they would not take the 5% figure out of the contract in advance). As I have said previously, they were clearly representing the vendor but I always thought they were fair with me.

I should say that this was when Dominick was the owner, I know nothing about his successor.

James is equally as good perhaps not so much of a broker more a sellers agent - Dom was a bit of a one off.

On 3/15/2018 at 21:41, David Mack said:

Then you have to go with the broker who is selling the boat that takes your fancy.

If you're selling you can choose your broker.

Seconded. The best broker is the one selling the boat you want. 

Once you find that boat, post again here naming them, for detailed advice about dealing with that broker in particular. Some are ethical and honest, others utter shitbags.