Boat lift

alastair1988

Featured Posts

Hi All
My Partner and I have decided to live afloat and have bought a 70ft by 12.6ft boat.
She is currently sat at Caversham Lakes Reading and we are aiming to get her to Blackthorn Marina on the River Nene, I know we can not get from the Grand Union to the River Nene, so was trying to work out the best place to get her lifted.
We have no issue moving her mostly because the boat lift at Caversham lakes want £1,750.00 to lift her to a lorry where as Wishbech only want £525.00 to drop her in. 
I have called round a number of places today re lifting her with on the River Themes and Grand Union with no luck.
Any help and advice would be amazing.
Thank you

5 minutes ago, alastair1988 said:

Any help and advice would be amazing.

It would, wouldn't it?  If you're lucky, one of the wide beam fans will be along shortly to advise. I doubt many others would wish to be party to inflicting a wide beam on their fellow boaters. :giggles:

(Don't tell anyone I told you this, but if I were moving a boat by road I'd use AB Tuckey - I've seen them in action close up and if there's anyone better I'd be amazed) ;)

The travel lift 'crane' if that's the correct name is the largest unit that I know of on the non tidal Thames.

There are cranes at:-

1. Better Boating (next door to Caversham)
  2. Harleyford
  3. Bray
  4. Windsor ?
  5. Penton Hook
  6. Shepperton
  7. Racecourse marina

BB's crane is a solid looking beast, bit I don't know his capacity

2,4, and 5 are too small. 3 may or not be available any more - I think it was around 30 tons capacity

6. Was around the twenty ton mark, but access to his lifting area may be difficult / impossible.

7. Mentions cranage in its facilities but says no more than that. Looking at his photos they mostly seem to be small craft. 

I'm guessing your weight at 25 tons plus?

It's only 'recently' that large boats have come onto the Thames and yards don't really have the demand or need to lift more than about 15 tons as a rule

It may be best to take Sea Dog's advice and put the whole job into the hands of Tuckeys - that is if the Reading man has exclusive use of the site at Caversham.

Edited by OldGoat

I would talk to P&S Marine at Cassio Bridge, Watford on the GU.  As I understand it virtually all craning they do is wide-beams, and they can handle very much  larger than many yards.

Mind you,  mostly they put them in, and watch them head to London - watching one go on a lorry to move away from South East Waterways might be a bit of a novelty!

I'm guessing you will not be over 70 tonnes!

With our water frontage and road access we are able to accommodate up to 70 foot vessels, both wide and narrow making us the boat yard closest to London for canal boat craneage. Our C110 NCK Rapier Eiger crawler crane has a maximum lifting capacity of 70 tons – enabling us to accommodate any vessel on the canal system. Cranage of boats off of road transport and into the water, or vice versa, is a common operation at P&S Marine, and through our many years of operation and experience our professional lifting capabilities have developed a long standing reputation.

Edited by alan_fincher

Try

Oxford Cruisers Ltd

The Boat Centre

Oxford Road

Eynsham

OX29 4DA

Phone:

01865 881698

As long as the airdraft will allow it under Osney bridge. They deal with Dutch barges and seen to have a meaty crane.

On 16/03/2018 at 08:34, Tony Brooks said:

Try

Oxford Cruisers Ltd

The Boat Centre

Oxford Road

Eynsham

OX29 4DA

Phone:

01865 881698

As long as the airdraft will allow it under Osney bridge. They deal with Dutch barges and seen to have a meaty crane.

I wonder if it was this one https://www.facebook.com/groups/707309872616701/permalink/2063192277028447/

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think so. I think that will be the on-line moorings opposite the Swan at Radcot Bridge.  Oxford Cruisers are maybe half a mile or so above Eynsham Bridge & lock, much closer to Oxford.

Edited by Tony Brooks