Comparative Electricity Charges

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Just for comparison attached is a link to BWML's new electricity tariff from April 1st.

Across all of their marinas it averages 13.5p / unit with an additional one-off annual service fee of £42.

I will be paying 12.94p/unit on my Hull mooring, and 13.58p/unit on my Kings mooring

https://bwml.co.uk/electricity/

For comparison my domestic (home) electricity is 

Day rate 13.77p + VAT

Night rate 6.46 + VAT

Standing charge 23.02p/day (£84.02 pa)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

At Farndon marina the leccy is 14p + 5% VAT based on my last bill in January 2018.

No specific service charge but that must be built into the mooring charges.

Odd that Hull and Kings are different given its the same company. Guess its different leccy suppliers but not sure why it should be these days  . They are not allowed to make a profit from selling electricity.

2 hours ago, b0atman said:

electrical installation should be in price of mooring same as water jetties roads etc. The electricity should be at cost with no profit .

What about those boaters who don't want the hook up?

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Not a good deal, if they are paying for it though.

Given the millions of posts on boat forums regarding batteries I think most people would use shore power when it is available.

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So what?

If they take the mooring knowing that the charge is included but don't use it, then that is their look out.

Very true, but would put some people off, which is probably why it isn't normal practice.

There us no separate standing charge at our marina . But the utility companies make standing charges so it has to be recovered somehow.  Also the cost of the shore power installation and upkeep has to be recovered.  It does seem reasonable to me this is included in the mooring fees. 

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There us no separate standing charge at our marina . But the utility companies make standing charges so it has to be recovered somehow.  Also the cost of the shore power installation and upkeep has to be recovered.  It does seem reasonable to me this is included in the mooring fees. 

Likewise we have no standing charge at our marina. The bollards are there if you use them is up to the individual and several don't. We just top them up with cards bought from the marina office.

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We just top them up with cards bought from the marina office.

On a meter at Farndon. 

I would like to get shore power when we visit West Stockwith  but have been refused by C&RT. I don't expect it to be free. Have you tried the same enquiry?

Edited by MartynG

3 hours ago, b0atman said:

electrical installation should be in price of mooring same as water jetties roads etc. The electricity should be at cost with no profit .

Marinas are allowed to charge a service/infrastructure change for the electricity, but as you say the per unit cost can not have a markup on it.  I don't know if you can say that you don't want to use the electricity and not pay it, I guess you should be able to.  It seems unfair to those that don't want to use electricity to build it into the mooring cost.

Edited by john6767