Solar Roof Box

dm6045

Featured Posts

Hello all i was just wondering if anyone has Solar panels mounted onto roof boxes and if so how did you make them?

Im looking at 2 large 300w ish panels about 1000mm wide so it would be one flat panel per box rather than the 2 tilted panels hinged in the middle

my thinking was to have the panel mounted on the lid so that it would hinge off the lid in one direction and have the lid hinge in the other so that they can be angled either way.

one thing im not sure of though is how to then secure them in the tilted position incase of wind etc.

does anyone have something similar that they could share pics of please.

we got a quote from the marina to have them built but they wanted £450 per box (excluding solar panel) and frankly i cant afford that for a box! so although a novice at diy im willing to have a go if only i could get some tips on how!

many thanks 

The panels usually have at least and inch of down stand on the surround so you can fix the hinges and support to that. As far as the support for the panels when tilted I would look at a pair of security type window stay that has a finger nut on the pin that goes through the stay. The same for the box lid.

Just my immediate thoughts.

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The panels usually have at least and inch of down stand on the surround so you can fix the hinges and support to that. As far as the support for the panels when tilted I would look at a pair of security type window stay that has a finger nut on the pin that goes through the stay. The same for the box lid.

I think that’s how I’d approach it too. I must say that £450 per Box is cheap if the marina were quoting a hard wood. If soft wood then it’ll require constant maintenance. 

I was going on to suggest the thinner Wicks decking boards for the carcase but unless you have a router getting a waterproof joint between adjoining pairs of boars might be difficult. I have had some in the garden for raised beds for over 5 years and they are still fine, if a bit discoloured. All it would need is a once a year  treatment with decking stain. I suspect the carcase would then last longer then any plywood used for the top - that is unless it is top quality "Robins" style marine ply.

1000mm wide? That doesn't give you much room to walk past along the roof if, for example, you wish to use the ladder in the middle of a lock.  Not everyone uses the roof, I'll grant you, but many do and I'm not sure I would be keen to block that potential route.

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Here’s an example of your idea, Tony. Made out of decking boards too.