Sofa bed recommendations

florencethedog

Featured Posts

Sofabedbarn. I'm currently sitting on their Belvedere model, delivered to the boat through the cratch and front doors by their one man delivery team with ease in January. Clic clack mechanism means you sleep lengthways along the boat, with a bit of space to walk down the side of the bed along the boat. They all have underbed storage. The Belvedere has a drawer on small wheels which slides out.

The sofas look much better in real life than on the web site. I visited the factory in Yorkshire to look at a few they have on display, and decided there and then to have one.

https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/3-seat-clic-clac-sofa-beds/9-belvedere-futon-sofa-bed.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs5f_k_fs2QIVyJ0bCh38HA-bEAQYHCABEgK90_D_BwE#/57-size-belvedere_with_one_drawer/35-choose_your_fabric-arran_indigo/42-choose_your_mattress-luxury_memory_foam_mattress/48-choose_your_wood_colour_stain-antique_pine

14 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Sofabedbarn. I'm currently sitting on their Belvedere model, delivered to the boat through the cratch and front doors by their one man delivery team with ease in January. Clic clack mechanism means you sleep lengthways along the boat, with a bit of space to walk down the side of the bed along the boat. They all have underbed storage. The Belvedere has a drawer on small wheels which slides out.

The sofas look much better in real life than on the web site. I visited the factory in Yorkshire to look at a few they have on display, and decided there and then to have one.

https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/3-seat-clic-clac-sofa-beds/9-belvedere-futon-sofa-bed.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs5f_k_fs2QIVyJ0bCh38HA-bEAQYHCABEgK90_D_BwE#/57-size-belvedere_with_one_drawer/35-choose_your_fabric-arran_indigo/42-choose_your_mattress-luxury_memory_foam_mattress/48-choose_your_wood_colour_stain-antique_pine

"Handmade using sustainable redwood pine timber, "

so the cheapest softwood you can get then, but stained to suit?

25 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Not sure what you're trying to suggest? They are not suggesting that they use the most expensive timber available, it looks pretty good, and feels pretty solid, and does the job it's intended to do.

I'm not suggesting anything.

I am mocking their advertising, because I read that as an enthusiastic youngster fresh out of college or university who has bought into what they were taught.  I have previously taught direct sales, so know many of the tricks, and I certainly know what a USP is.  And the cheapest softwood you can get isn't one of them.

Please note that redwood pine softwood is what I built some of the internals of my boat out of.  There is nothing wrong with it, but I tend to point out the Oak to visitors!

"it looks pretty good, and feels pretty solid, and does the job it's intended to do." is in my book an excellent recommendation of a product from anyone.  The fact it is a click clack sofabed that works as both a sofa and a bed is a major plus.

So why do they boast they use the cheapest wood you can get?  Not a criticism, just a question.

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

So why do they boast they use the cheapest wood you can get?  Not a criticism, just a question.

I suppose their boast is that it is sustainable, rather than cheap, (even though it is cheap at the same time)?

"Sustainable" is a huge PC buzz word these days so, as long as the sustainability is true, any opportunity to get it into your marketing material isn't necessarily a bad move as it will appeal to some/many. Having said that, I wasn't even aware of the sustainability of their pine, (nor how cheap it was). 

I bought mine because:

1) they get lots of good reviews online, (here and Facebook are probably my sources mostly).

2) The clic clac mechanism means the bed is lengthways along the boat, as against across the boat. My existing sofabed opened up across the boat and it didnt quite open up completely, and blocked the boat completely - bloody irritating :)

3) They guarantee to get it on board, and lots of reviews confirmed this to be correct.

4) They looked good in the flesh.

5) I liked the way I was dealt with, both over the telephone, and during my visit. The service was excellent once I had paid online.