Pump out stuff ???

Featured Posts

Hi all,

i,ve completely striped my old boat out. As you go in through the doors you now step on to a full width steel tank with a large pipe running into it on one side and two smaller ones other side plus a pipe connection point on the upper face of it. Would this be a pump out tank?

the holes above on the shell it’s self are just taped over so the pipes aren’t connected too anything and leaking water.

cheers

Edited by florencethedog

2 minutes ago, florencethedog said:

a large pipe running into it on one side and two smaller ones other side plus a pipe connection point on the upper face of it. Would this be a pump out tank?

Sounds like it could be the fuel tank.

Big pipe - fuel filler

"Small pipes" -  outlets/supply to engine and diesel heater

Connection point on top - vent.

1 minute ago, florencethedog said:

I’m there tomorrow, so will get a few pics

were would I get the brass fittings from so I can at least stop the water getting in

cheers

If you don't want the leaking poo tank on your refit, just tape the holes up until you can weld a plate in.

It looks suspiciously like a pump out tank to me with the vent and rinse on the opposite side of the boat to the pump out. No idea whet the pipe stub pointing into the boat was for unless it was a macerator type toilet. What does the fitting in the gunwale for the large hose look like?

Just realised what those photos were. I think the larger hole could have  been for one of the early aluminium pump out deck fittings where the hose just pushed up inside the fitting with O ring(s). The other side look too large for a rinse but who knows what was used there.

It is confirmed as a pump out tank and I’ve ordered the brass fittings and pipes to replace what’s in pictures above

now my next question if I put a manual pump out toilet in, would it pump too the tank which is 3m away with a 0.5m rise or do I require a electric pump type one

thanks

If (as it appears) the sides of the tank are the hull, I'd be very wary that there might be substantial corrosion from the inside out. I would cut the whole thing out so as to be able to inspect it, and if you want a tank there replace it with polyethylene.

(I'm in the middle of cutting out the steel tank on our shared mainland boat: a reciprocating saw does a nice job, aided by a jigsaw depending on access.)

21 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

If (as it appears) the sides of the tank are the hull, I'd be very wary that there might be substantial corrosion from the inside out. I would cut the whole thing out so as to be able to inspect it, and if you want a tank there replace it with polyethylene.

(I'm in the middle of cutting out the steel tank on our shared mainland boat: a reciprocating saw does a nice job, aided by a jigsaw depending on access.)

Or an angle grinder and a box of 1mm cutting discs.