Chancellor's Spring Statement - Red Diesel

Señor Chris

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even doubling the tax on red-diesel will have a minimal affect on the overall cost of boating.

Bear in mind an increase in cost that you may consider minimal may be significant to others .

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But you may not feel so smug when the cost of food increases due to the rises in red-diesel costs for farmers.

I believe the chancellor has already got the farmers "on side", by referring to "non agricultural" use of red diesel.

He seems to have forgotten about the construction industry use of red diesel.

George

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

I sincerely hope that everybody who uses "red" diesel gets hammered as well.

13 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I believe the chancellor has already got the farmers "on side", by referring to "non agricultural" use of red diesel.

He seems to have forgotten about the construction industry use of red diesel.

George

The comment to which I was replying was "everybody who uses red diesel"

8 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Not being road vehicles they use red diesel.

George

Do the train operators pay full duty for the proportion of fuel used for propulsion? 

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Doesn't seem fair does it ?

I have been banging on about this since before it became law.  Even so, some members of this forum seem to think that it is extremely fair and boaters have been treated well!

George

12 hours ago, furnessvale said:

I have been banging on about this since before it became law.  Even so, some members of this forum seem to think that it is extremely fair and boaters have been treated well!

George

They have been treated well.

The use of reduced duty diesel could have been banned for leisure boats but it wasn't.

23 hours ago, MartynG said:

Bear in mind an increase in cost that you may consider minimal may be significant to others .

I doubt a few pence extra per litre would stop many people boating.

As has been said before fuel costs for boats is insignificant compared to other costs.

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They have been treated well.

The use of reduced duty diesel could have been banned for leisure boats but it wasn't.

I doubt a few pence extra per litre would stop many people boating.

As has been said before fuel costs for boats is insignificant compared to other costs.

Q.E.D.

We bought red diesel from a local agricultural suppliers (in Jerry cans) for the boat and had reg no and address details taken.

A while later we had a visit from the men in the tricorn hats (actually black suits) who examined the diesel engines & vehicles in the workshop and around the smallholding.  They dipped the tank of the Land Rover and declared that all was well.

I have heard that their equipment can sniff the difference between red and white, although as Mandy siad, they would say that wouldn't they.

Banning the use of red diesel will have an impact on canal boaters, they will find pulling into a marina/boatyard to fill up a bit of history as they will no longer sell diesel of any colour. Currently most outlets are about 20-30 pence per litre less than ASDA and Morrisons forecourt price, when you add the full tax they will be 20p more than supermarkets. Many/most boaters will simply buy fuel in cans and fill up using those, since most marinas Ts & Cs forbid that, they will go out of the marina fill the tank and go back in 10 minutes later thus ensuring any spill is in the cut.  With very small sales it will not be economical to supply fully taxed diesel to boats, so I would expect most businesses to stop doing so.  Coal fuel boats to will struggle to make any profit so may also have to moor up.

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

Banning the use of red diesel will have an impact on canal boaters, they will find pulling into a marina/boatyard to fill up a bit of history as they will no longer sell diesel of any colour. Currently most outlets are about 20-30 pence per litre less than ASDA and Morrisons forecourt price, when you add the full tax they will be 20p more than supermarkets. Many/most boaters will simply buy fuel in cans and fill up using those, since most marinas Ts & Cs forbid that, they will go out of the marina fill the tank and go back in 10 minutes later thus ensuring any spill is in the cut.  With very small sales it will not be economical to supply fully taxed diesel to boats, so I would expect most businesses to stop doing so.  Coal fuel boats to will struggle to make any profit so may also have to moor up.

Funny but our marina manages to sell plenty of petrol despite it being at least 20ppl above petrol station prices.

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I doubt that many boaters will want to struggle along the towpath with several Jerry cans of diesel just to save a few quid. I know I wouldn’t. 

Coal boats will survive, albeit in a different world, because they bring the diesel, AND coal, pumpout, sticks etc. to the boats.

Marinas are in a different position.  If you HAVE to travel to get your diesel, you may as well go that bit further and buy roadside a lot cheaper.

George

I look forward to the wharf which Morrison's will be installing in Banbury to enable boats to pull in and fuel up.

In other words, I don't subscribe to Detling's "We're all doomed" viewpoint.

Edited by Athy

6 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Coal boats will survive, albeit in a different world, because they bring the diesel, AND coal, pumpout, sticks etc. to the boats.

Marinas are in a different position.  If you HAVE to travel to get your diesel, you may as well go that bit further and buy roadside a lot cheaper.

George

Or not!

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Me neither. A few quid extra to fill your tank is neither here nor there. 

In the past, I have actually had a tanker come and deliver straight into the boat (current boat has 2700 litres tanks so makes it viable).

Many years ago we were cruising the West Coast in our Fairline.

In the IoM, the sailing club / marina didn't have sufficient fuel (I only wanted 800-1000 litres) and it was their suggestion to get a tanker down into the harbour. The only problem is the very high fill-rate but the tankers do carry 'small diameter' nozzles if you let them know you have a restricted orifice.