Sliding Hatch

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

After 12 years of being dry mine started leaking. I took the hatch off and found a bit of rust underneath which was collecting water. I also cut a 45 degree slot just in front of the hatch on each runner with a hacksaw. I actually cut a 5mm slot from each brass runner. No more drips now. 

Thanks blackrose, that sounds like what I need to do.

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

After 12 years of being dry mine started leaking. I took the hatch off and found a bit of rust underneath which was collecting water. I also cut a 45 degree slot just in front of the hatch on each runner with a hacksaw. I actually cut a 5mm slot from each brass runner. No more drips now. 

Blackrose did you actually cut right through the brass slider and is 5mm the depth or width of the slot? Thanks.

19 hours ago, Traveller said:

Blackrose did you actually cut right through the brass slider and is 5mm the depth or width of the slot? Thanks.

I cut right through the brass runner and then took the piece out with a screwdriver. I painted over the steel underneath with some primer. Make sure you cut the slot at 45 degrees otherwise your hatch won't slide! 5mm is the width, it may have been slightly wider. The brass strip itself is only about 2 or 3mm deep. 

While you're at it turn the hatch cover over and check for rust at the contact points. Rub it down if it's rusty. I'm actually going to stick a small strip of brass onto that point with stixall to stop the rust returning. 

Edited by blackrose

Thanks, that is the plan then. What I have noticed is the previous owner has inserted a wood panel (roses and castle stuff) into the hatch and it appears to be fixed by having it rest/wedged between hatch and slide. That looks like potential trouble to me!

• 5 months later...
On 13/03/2018 at 22:32, Traveller said:

My hatches slide on an inverted L topped with a flat brass runner. In this country it rains now and again (:)) and water runs down the flat surface of the runner under the hatch and in to the cabin. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Had thought of cutting a strategically placed slot in the brass runner.

Thanks

Colin

I have the same problem so I’ve drilled 8mm hole in the brass runner and countsunk it it works very well 

On 21/03/2018 at 05:10, blackrose said:

I cut right through the brass runner and then took the piece out with a screwdriver. I painted over the steel underneath with some primer. Make sure you cut the slot at 45 degrees otherwise your hatch won't slide! 5mm is the width, it may have been slightly wider. The brass strip itself is only about 2 or 3mm deep. 

While you're at it turn the hatch cover over and check for rust at the contact points. Rub it down if it's rusty. I'm actually going to stick a small strip of brass onto that point with stixall to stop the rust returning. 

My hatch runs on plastic strips and I had the same problem of water running down them and some of it ending up on the rear steps. I also cut grooves so that the water runs off before the hatch which has worked well.

Big question is why the problem suddenly started after 10 years. Could it be global warming or the new moorings?