Taking Wide Boat across channel to France

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, carlt said:

What has price got to do with it?

I crossed the North Sea on a boat that cost £300 (well I swapped it for a motorbike that cost me £300).

I seem to remember the RYA "Competent Crew" course I took cost me more than the boat.

The Channel is easy...On leaving the Thames turn right at Margate then follow a ferry.

Only Fools & Horses - "To Hull & Back"

"Just follow the ferry"

On 3/13/2018 at 21:13, Alan de Enfield said:

Just as an aside - I would not go with a single engine.

I would not want a twin engine boat for inland use and when I went to sea with a friend with a twin screw boat both engines stopped with dirty fuel, so we had to be towed in by a single engined fishing boat.

I hope the OP hasn't been frightened off as I crossed the channel several times in the past without ever having any qualifications. The ICC is a joke and no substitute for experience which comes from actually cruising.   Yes lots to learn through reading but a perfectly good plan once the current regulations have been covered.

1 minute ago, JamesFrance said:

I would not want a twin engine boat for inland use and when I went to sea with a friend with a twin screw boat both engines stopped with dirty fuel, so we had to be towed in by a single engined fishing boat.

Just as a 'balance' to that, I had a twin engine boat and, on one engine the lifting-eye 'fell off' and dropped down onto the starter motor terminals and wedged in between the starter motor and the engine - the wire harness totally melted 'smoke, flames and nasty fumes', the battery was very hot and the engine US.

I got back on the other (unaffected) engine.

1 hour ago, JamesFrance said:

I hope the OP hasn't been frightened off as I crossed the channel several times in the past without ever having any qualifications. The ICC is a joke and no substitute for experience which comes from actually cruising.   Yes lots to learn through reading but a perfectly good plan once the current regulations have been covered.

We have had one breakdown over the last ten years that stopped our single engined boat getting home under her own power. A relay popped which sent the leg right to the top rendering the boat immobile. We had to be towed back in.

Had the boat been twin engined we would have got back fine on the other engine.

Just because your friend had dirty fuel which stopped both engines it doesn't mean that all twin engined boats will suffer the same fate. Far from it.

13 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I always had motorsailers so there was another way to get somewhere if the engine failed for any reason.   I did have a burst injector pipe when approaching l'Aberwrach one time which was rather exciting with all the rocks on the way in.

I even have twin engines in my sailing boat (one in each hull), and it has separate fuel tanks (one in each hull)

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I even have twin engines in my sailing boat (one in each hull), and it has separate fuel tanks (one in each hull)

Next you'll be telling us you have a spare boat,just in case one breaks down:)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

I  The ICC is a joke and no substitute for experience which comes from actually cruising.   

Yeah but isn't it nice to say that you have been internationally recognised as being competent - various people now think I am competent in putting Ikea furniture together, minor surgery (splinters etc) trumping daft arguments in pubs and much more.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Yeah but isn't it nice to say that you have been internationally recognised as being competent - various people now think I am competent in putting Ikea furniture together, minor surgery (splinters etc) trumping daft arguments in pubs and much more.

I wouldn 't say that an ICC Is the answer. It is a very small first step towards competency and no more, and like a lot of this type of certification it should'nt be given too much credence. Experience is also very important together with a basic knowledge of seamanship.

Howard

Just noticed this topic.

If its the same Terry that posted the question on the magazine forum he gave me more info:-

The size of cabin boat I have in mind is 8 meters long and 3 meters wide with 50 horse power diesel engine.

So almost certainly not a planing boat with a top speed of perhaps 6 knots. I told him pretty much the same as he was told here and he has not been back  there either.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just noticed this topic.

If its the same Terry that posted the question on the magazine forum he gave me more info:-

The size of cabin boat I have in mind is 8 meters long and 3 meters wide with 50 horse power diesel engine.

So almost certainly not a planing boat with a top speed of perhaps 6 knots. I told him pretty much the same as he was told here and he has not been back  there either.

What additional information did he give ?

17 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just noticed this topic.

Perhaps he's asking at different places til he gets an answer he likes. I noticed that there are now similar questions on the beekeepers forum and on the problem page in Cosmopolitan. 

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Perhaps he's asking at different places til he gets an answer he likes. I noticed that there are now similar questions on the beekeepers forum and on the problem page in Cosmopolitan. 

I am sure he is, he asked it twice, once in both of the magazine forums. I wonder if he asked WWW as well.