Fitting a Rayburn with hot water and central heating

Dave butler

Featured Posts

We did this but be sure you want to. I hated it. It took up too much room and was difficult to control. Mainly due to smoking the steerer out every time I needed a hot oven. We had a gas stove which I needed in the summer and ended up using most of the time. We eventually changed it for a fire with back boiler, which was a much better choice.

I suspect you are referring to the system requirement to being open rather than sealed. You can achieve this with a header tank fitted as high as you can get. My system works quite well with the header about 3 ft above the boiler flowpipe. The Rayburn is a bulky piece of kit and produces a lot of heat. If you want to use it for cooking, you will need to provide a heatsink radiator which will be close to the unit, and except for the depths of winter, you may find all this heat uncomfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn’t want it any other way.

3 year ago, bought a nice looking solid fuel Rayburn 1960 in year.

installed conectecd up to 6 radiators, gravity fed. Central heating and hot water.

never missed a beat. I did install a small £10 pump to help it around the rear of the boat and the hot water Colarifier.

but have never really used it.

never goes out,less dust than a on its own stove, tho still too much for the missis

and saves room In place of cooker, but 900 in width, but no need for a separate cooker and stove,the Rayburn does it all.

we have a new boat being worked on and still having a Rayburn but oil fed. Which fingers crossed will stop the dust.

we are also having a large eberspacher air heated, so will be relying on oil for all the heating. Fingers crossed.

rayburn/aga does it all simple well built and stays in for hours.

go for it,

On 13/03/2018 at 22:36, Ex Brummie said:

I suspect you are referring to the system requirement to being open rather than sealed. You can achieve this with a header tank fitted as high as you can get. My system works quite well with the header about 3 ft above the boiler flowpipe. The Rayburn is a bulky piece of kit and produces a lot of heat. If you want to use it for cooking, you will need to provide a heatsink radiator which will be close to the unit, and except for the depths of winter, you may find all this heat uncomfortable.

As above, open windows. The heat it chucks out all over the boat,is only controlled by the air vent.

We have a water bottle resvoir in the wheelhouse, but with the radiators and colarifier that’s all we’ve got.

and it works, nothing to breakdown.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, bigcol said:

I wouldn’t want it any other way.

3 year ago, bought a nice looking solid fuel Rayburn 1960 in year.

installed conectecd up to 6 radiators, gravity fed. Central heating and hot water.

never missed a beat. I did install a small £10 pump to help it around the rear of the boat and the hot water Colarifier.

but have never really used it.

never goes out,less dust than a on its own stove, tho still too much for the missis

and saves room In place of cooker, but 900 in width, but no need for a separate cooker and stove,the Rayburn does it all.

we have a new boat being worked on and still having a Rayburn but oil fed. Which fingers crossed will stop the dust.

we are also having a large eberspacher air heated, so will be relying on oil for all the heating. Fingers crossed.

rayburn/aga does it all simple well built and stays in for hours.

go for it,

As above, open windows. The heat it chucks out all over the boat,is only controlled by the air vent.

We have a water bottle resvoir in the wheelhouse, but with the radiators and colarifier that’s all we’ve got.

and it works, nothing to breakdown.

Agree with Col completely, mine is a gravity and pumped system it works well, it produces a lovely warm boat with loads of hot water, Rads are warm rather than hot which works for me very well. Cooking wise its awesome, I use anthracite   which is  smokeless the rayburn was made for this.