Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Nightwatch

A good Single Malt?

Featured Posts

I am about to purchase a bottle of Single Malt Whisky. 

Simply, what's good and what's not so good. I'm not too keen on the 'smokey' types.

Not too expensive but not the cheapest. 

Any help gratefully recieved.

Thank you.

If you dont like smokey i would suggest a good bog standard such as Dalwhinnie.

I was bought a bottle of Laphroaig not so long ago. It was good but had the smokey aftertaste which was quite dominating. I like Glenfiddich but I get the idea that it is one from the lower end of the market. Dalwhinnie I have seen , but once again there's differing models! 

I'll have a shufty. 

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I was bought a bottle of Laphroaig not so long ago. It was good but had the smokey aftertaste which was quite dominating. I like Glenfiddich but I get the idea that it is one from the lower end of the market. Dalwhinnie I have seen , but once again there's differing models! 

I'll have a shufty. 

Yes lafrog is too peaty for you so will such as Lagavulin, ardbeg etc but methinks Dalwhinnie will be fine its sort of light if you know what I mean.

I do not like whisky. My late father, who most certainly did, used to enjoy Glenmorangie, and something from the Isle of Skye whose name escapes me. All I did was buy them for him at Christmas, I never tasted any of them.

Edited by Athy

I prefer the Smokey ones but as Mrsmelly suggest a Dalwhinnie is a good drink. I also brought a couple of good English malts from a shop in Newbury when we moored their last summer. Can't recall the names but the chap in the shop was very helpful.

Ian.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I do not like whisky. My late father, who most certainly did, used to enjoy Glenmorangie, and something from the Isle of Skye whose name escapes me. All I did was buy them for him at Christmas, I never tasted any of them.

Perhaps Talisker.

We bought a bottle from the distillery on Skye on one occasion,and found it cheaper in France a few weeks later.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Perhaps Talisker.

We bought a bottle from the distillery on Skye on one occasion,and found it cheaper in France a few weeks later.

Skye high prices eh?

Probably set at a level which Yank tourists would pay.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Skye high prices eh?

Probably set at a level which Yank tourists would pay.

Aye.

The two I would recommend are Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich. Both are Islay whiskeys but nowhere near as smokey or peaty as the south coast Islay whiskeys. Both of these distilleries are in the northern half of the island so have a very different taste. The first of the two (12 year old) has a wonderful chocolate aftertaste. Never be without a bottle of Bunnahabhain on a boat.

If they are still too 'island' like then Glenkinchie (one of the few Lowland whiskies) is generally cheapish and OK. When we lived up there, we used to buy Glenturret  quite a bit (nr Perth). It always claimed it was the oldest distillery in the UK....but failed to mention it was shut between 1920 and 1970 ish (other dates may apply - but it was shut)

• Love 1

If however anyone likes the smokey taste  but not the overpowering taste of Lagavulin etc, Caol Ila (pronounced Cull..eel...a) is a nice one . It's not a well know distillery but is the largest one on Islay and sells most of its spirit for blending. 10 years ago it only sold a small percentage as single malt.....perhaps it was only the best quality went as single malt. Not sure if that has changed today.

Edited by Dr Bob

Very helpful comments thanks. Next question, are you paying more for the same product from a 'shop' rather than a supermarket. Newbury was just mentioned. I guess it was a 'shop' rather than a supermarket. Even though there's no trains at present between Theale and Bedwyn, major engineering works, I can easily get a 'rail' bus from Kintbury to Newbury. Went to Hungerford this morning y rail bus. Quite pleasant. 

Ian can you remember the shop in Newbury, please?

The boss is going away for a few days to Carmarthen as sadly her brother is in a hospice there. Thought I could relieve the boredom and keep me out of the Blue Ball by having a dram or two available onboard. 

All supermarkets will have deals on selected spirit's...its just luck if you find the one you want at a reduced price. If you really want a good deal, go to the Whisky shop on line and look at the price there on a selected whiskey. Then type that into the search engine and look at the price at the big five. For instance

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Bunnahabhain-12-Year-Old-Single-Malt/288041011

Morrisons are selling this at £33 a bottle which is the best price I have seen for a while whereas it looks like it is £10 dearer at Tescos (Careful, I may not have looked at the right bottle in tescos). You should be able to find the one you want at the best price. Also read the descriptions of each one on line and see if that is what you are after....but it never tastes like that :)

Edited by Dr Bob

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

All supermarkets will have deals on selected spirit's...its just luck if you find the one you want at a reduced price. If you really want a good deal, go to the Whiskey shop on line and look at the price there on a selected whiskey. Then type that into the search engine and look at the price at the big five. For instance

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Bunnahabhain-12-Year-Old-Single-Malt/288041011

Morrisons are selling this at £33 a bottle which is the best price I have seen for a while whereas it looks like it is £10 dearer at Tescos (Careful, I may not have looked at the right bottle in tescos). You should be able to find the one you want at the best price. Also read the descriptions of each one on line and see if that is what you are after....but it never tastes like that :)

Your last sentence is helpful. The rest of the post more so!

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Happy 1

For something differant, try an Irish single malt. I have a bottle of Bushmills Green on the go at the moment, and am pleased to know that I have another bottle in the cupboard.

15 minutes ago, artleknock said:

For something differant, try an Irish single malt. I have a bottle of Bushmills Green on the go at the moment, and am pleased to know that I have another bottle in the cupboard.

I prefer the " E " varieties myself also. :cheers:

Get something with an age statement, and avoid the fancy "finishes". Allegedly there has been a run of distillery using casks which are not fit for purpose, leaving the whisky with a strong sulphur aftertaste. The finishing in a fresh casks is a means to disguise this, and turn a problem into a virtue - again allegedly.

1 minute ago, artleknock said:

A wee jimmy does go down well :D

Not with an " E " :)

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Very helpful comments thanks. Next question, are you paying more for the same product from a 'shop' rather than a supermarket. Newbury was just mentioned. I guess it was a 'shop' rather than a supermarket. Even though there's no trains at present between Theale and Bedwyn, major engineering works, I can easily get a 'rail' bus from Kintbury to Newbury. Went to Hungerford this morning y rail bus. Quite pleasant. 

Ian can you remember the shop in Newbury, please?

The boss is going away for a few days to Carmarthen as sadly her brother is in a hospice there. Thought I could relieve the boredom and keep me out of the Blue Ball by having a dram or two available onboard. 

Think it was called the inn at home. Centre of town only couple of hundred yards from the Canal. 

Ian.

We used to drink quite a bit of  single malt when we were racing our lumpy water boat...especially on long trips away with 6 or 7 on board. A bottle a night was common. We tried all the usual suspects as we were up in Scotland. Highland Park was a nice one but not special.....from Orkney...but a better Orkney offering was Scarpa.....from the Scarpa distillery. No where near as peaty as the Islay ones. I'd go as far as saying there are no 'bad' single malts.

24 minutes ago, artleknock said:

I'd agree with that. We had become a bit of malt whisky snob when we set off on our trip down from Edinburgh to the Med, but got stuck in Arklow harbour for a few nights as a few big storms went passed. We helped an old couple out on their very expensive Halberg Rassey at 3am one Sunday morning in a F10 supplying 3 blow up fenders  and they gave us an not inexpensive bottle of Jamesons in return. It was excellent. Certainly raised the bar on Irish whiskey for us.

Edited by Dr Bob

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I am about to purchase a bottle of Single Malt Whisky. 

Simply, what's good and what's not so good. I'm not too keen on the 'smokey' types.

Not too expensive but not the cheapest. 

Any help gratefully recieved.

Thank you.

I worked via IBM for Diagio who own quite a lot of Scottish distilleries so got to try quite a few of their brands.

If you do not like the smokey flavour of some whiskies best to avoid most of the West Isles brands such as Talisker, Oban and Caol Ila etc. although Jura is very nice and not really very smokey.  If you like a clean non-smokey taste you are better looking at the Speyside whiskeys and my favourites are knockando, Cragenmore and Clan Denny also Blair Athol is great  often overlooked but plenty to choose from.

But I have found it is all a matter of personal taste so someone asking what whiskey to buy is like asking which jumper should be my favourite one. 

Even good blends can be very nice but many dismiss blends because the think only a single malt can be good which is wrong.  Johnny Walker Blue label is fantastic but rather expensive at £130 per bottle. A very old fashioned blend of finely aged whiskies and for me tastes a bit like a rich christmas cake that has been soaked in whiskey. JW Gold label is very good too and more affordable but a bit smokey.

24 minutes ago, artleknock said:

Yes, very nice indeed.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not with an " E " :)

Many years ago I was in a Bar in Sligo and asked the barman for a Jamesons. He looked a bit puzzled for a second, the the light bulb came on and he said "Oh. you mean a wee jimmy".

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, churchward said:

I worked via IBM for Diagio who own quite a lot of Scottish distilleries so got to try quite a few of their brands.

If you do not like the smokey flavour of some whiskies best to avoid most of the West Isles brands such as Talisker, Oban and Caol Ila etc. although Jura is very nice and not really very smokey.  If you like a clean non-smokey taste you are better looking at the Speyside whiskeys and my favourites are knockando, Cragenmore and Clan Denny also Blair Athol is great  often overlooked but plenty to choose from.

But I have found it is all a matter of personal taste so someone asking what whiskey to buy is like asking which jumper should be my favourite one. 

Even good blends can be very nice but many dismiss blends because the think only a single malt can be good which is wrong.  Johnny Walker Blue label is fantastic but rather expensive at £130 per bottle. A very old fashioned blend of finely aged whiskies and for me tastes a bit like a rich christmas cake that has been soaked in whiskey. JW Gold label is very good too and more affordable but a bit smokey.

Yes, very nice indeed.

Tutt Tutt

WHISKY...........Scotch

WHISKEY..........Irish