Silver Propeller - How Many Have You Done?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

• Slightly surprised in a way that Mayors Boatyard on the Rufford Arm is not on the list in its own right, given the number on the BCN.

I thinks that's a very good suggestion. I am aware that IWA are looking for new ideas for Silver Propeller locations.

FWIW I would also suggest either the River Glen or the River Welland,possibly both.Rarely navigated by visiting boaters and quite a challenge to reach.I am thinking about how I might tick these two  off !

15 hours ago, Quaffer said:

I thinks that's a very good suggestion. I am aware that IWA are looking for new ideas for Silver Propeller locations.

FWIW I would also suggest either the River Glen or the River Welland,possibly both.Rarely navigated by visiting boaters and quite a challenge to reach.I am thinking about how I might tick these two  off !

And I believe IWA had been thinking about adding Dartford. We spent a week moored in the lock. 

dsc_3442.jpg

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

And we have a reply!

On 19/11/2020 at 12:34, IWA said:

Daniel

Glad you like the Silver Propeller challenge concept, and many thanks for your excellent suggestion which I have forwarded on to the relevant part of IWA for consideration. 

Your suggestion is very timely as they are just now considering whether to add any new locations for 2021.

Regards

So there we have it, other suggestions welcome I'm sure!

I have also shared with them a link to this thread.

Daniel

On 18/11/2020 at 16:46, DHutch said:

Slightly surprised in a way that Mayors Boatyard on the Rufford Arm is not on the list in its own right

Not a bad one, but I'd add Preston Marina and Ashton Basin/ Preston Terminus to the list.

Nearly all boats coming onto the Lancaster only turn left out of the Ribble Link basin and don't even consider the couple of miles the other way - which is daft because there's a full set of services at Cadley.  Which reminds me I was intending to update Canalplan a bit ...

23 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not a bad one, but I'd add Preston Marina and Ashton Basin/ Preston Terminus to the list.

Nearly all boats coming onto the Lancaster only turn left out of the Ribble Link basin and don't even consider the couple of miles the other way - which is daft because there's a full set of services at Cadley.  Which reminds me I was intending to update Canalplan a bit ...

Depends on what the tide is like. We had to overnight at Preston - unplanned until we were contacted as we approached Savick Brook!

51 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Depends on what the tide is like. We had to overnight at Preston - unplanned until we were contacted as we approached Savick Brook!

Yes, but did you go down to Ashton Basin or the Preston terminus when you got onto the Lancaster?

Most inland boats only go to Preston Marina via a divert on the Ribble Link crossing, which is why I think it should be a specific Silver Propeller location in it's own right.

Glasson Basin doesn't need to be - the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse is a better draw than a Silver Propeller location anyway!

On 04/12/2020 at 20:22, TheBiscuits said:

I'd add Weston Point/entrance lock of Runcorn & Weston Canal for a similar reason, Winsford bridge is a Silver Propeller location but the other end of the Weaver Navigation gets far fewer visitors. I'd also suggest the end of the Runcorn 'branch' due to the Unlock Runcorn proposals. Whatever you may think of the proposals it does meet the IWA's 'Knocking on the door' criterion for SP locations.

@DHutchWho did you contact at IWA?

..... I'd add Preston Marina and Ashton Basin/ Preston Terminus to the list.....

Nearly all boats coming onto the Lancaster only turn left out of the Ribble Link basin and don't even consider the couple of miles the other way - which is daft because there's a full set of services at Cadley.  

Very valid, we did Preston Marina, but not Ashton Basin, at the time I don't think I ever really knew it existed.

On 06/12/2020 at 12:32, Mike55 said:

I'd add Weston Point/entrance lock of Runcorn & Weston Canal for a similar reason, Winsford bridge is a Silver Propeller location but the other end of the Weaver Navigation gets far fewer visitors. I'd also suggest the end of the Runcorn 'branch' due to the Unlock Runcorn proposals. Whatever you may think of the proposals it does meet the IWA's 'Knocking on the door' criterion for SP locations.

Also valid. I've done that one too however!

• 3 months later...
On 06/12/2020 at 12:32, Mike55 said:

@DHutchWho did you contact at IWA?

Both these suggestions have now been added to the IWA Silver Propeller Challenge along with The Kelpies,Grangemouth, Bowling Basin on the Forth & Clyde and Coventry Basin.

Of those new location ,I've only been to Runcorn once but many times to Cov.

• 1 month later...
On 01/04/2021 at 17:59, Quaffer said:

Both these suggestions [incl Ashton Basin Preston]  have now been added to the IWA Silver Propeller Challenge along with The Kelpies, Grangemouth, Bowling Basin on the Forth & Clyde and Coventry Basin.

Of those new location ,I've only been to Runcorn once but many times to Cov.

Ahh that instantly puts us up to 7 ! :

Tinsley Canal Basin - 2008
Coventry Basin - 2010

Five Locks Basin (Cwmbran - Brecon canal) - 2013

Brograve Mill (The Broads) - 2018

Snareston - 2019

Preston Basin - 2020

Tewitfield (Lancaster canal) - 2020

Edited by Justin Smith

This made me count how many places in the Silver Challenge we have visited and it is amazingly 18. However, not all of them have been since it started and we might not have photos of all of them! I knew we had done a lot of boating but didn't realise we had visited so many places off the beaten track. We have done :-

Coventry  basin :Runcorn: Bowling harbour :the Kelpies: Ashton basin :Springs branch: Lochrin basin :Port Dundas :Winsford bridge :Ripon basin ; Liverpool docks ; Tewitfield ; saul Junction ;Walsall town Centre ; Walsall Cannock ;Langley Mills basin; Leek branch, Titford pools 

haggis

31 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

Ahh that instantly puts us up to 7 ! :

Tinsley Canal Basin - 2008
Coventry Basin - 2010

Five Locks Basin (Cwmbran - Brecon canal) - 2013

Brograve Mill (The Broads) - 2018

Snareston - 2019

Preston Basin - 2020

Tewitfield (Lancaster canal) - 2020

They only count from 1 Jan 2018 on, anything before does not count!  As Preston basin has only just been added I don't know if it would count in 2020, I would assume not as it was not a location when you visited it, and the point is to make you visit those locations now.  I have got a number on the BCN that were before 2018 and therefore don't count, so I lost a bit of interest to be honest.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

They only count from 1 Jan 2018 on, anything before does not count!  As Preston basin has only just been added I don't know if it would count in 2020, I would assume not as it was not a location when you visited it, and the point is to make you visit those locations now.  I have got a number on the BCN that were before 2018 and therefore don't count, so I lost a bit of interest to be honest.

yes, I know not may of ours will count for one reason or another and we are not really "trophy hunters" but when I saw they had added some Scottish ones, I thought I would do a count. Some were done on Copperkins (when we shared her), some on Gamebird and some on Kelpie. 

haggis

16 hours ago, john6767 said:

They count  for me !

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

They count  for me !

I think that's probably the most important thing for most folks, having an arbitrary date set will only work for some competitive folks, the rest wont worry about it and just enjoy their boating.....and maybe pick off a few more as and when their time and routes allow.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I think that's probably the most important thing for most folks, having an arbitrary date set will only work for some competitive folks, the rest wont worry about it and just enjoy their boating.....and maybe pick off a few more as and when their time and routes allow.

You're absolutely right, particularly as it's unlikely we'll ever do them all ! We hire a boat every year though "only" hiring is a plus and minus really. On the one hand we only have a week or so per year to boat, but on the other we can start from wherever we like on the system (hence the visit to Five Locks for instance). 

Anyway the pics are in order :

Tinsley Canal Basin, Coventry Basin, Five Locks Basin (Cwmbran - Brecon canal) and Brograve Mill (The Broads). 
Snareston, Preston Basin and Tewitfield (Lancaster canal)

The first pic was actually on the meal cruise (hence why it's at night) but I feel that should still count anyway, Anyone who uses any form of boat at the relevant locations is surely what the whole challenge is all about, getting people to use the little used stretches of waterway.

Silver Propellor Challenge 1 1500W L10.jpg

Silver Propellor Challenge 2 1500W L10.jpg

Edited by Justin Smith

Having struggled up there last year, one that I'd add to the Silver Prop list would be the GOBA moorings at the end of Reach Lode off the River Cam. I get the reason for the Silver Prop list is to get people to travel to the lesser visited locations and I got the impression last year that if people don't go there much  it wont be very long before Reach Lode will become unnavigable.