Stolen Boat

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its been found here is the message that announced it

It is and boat recovered. Please thank everyone. Sadly boat has been stripped of everything. Trashed and just to rub salt in the wounds the fire extinguishers set off in the boat. Has to be boaters as very heavy wooden boxes and generator amongst things taken. Can't say much more as police forensics involved. Please pass on owners thanks to everyone looking.

Rotten news. I thought it was unlikely to have been spirited away, which gave hope it would be located not too far away and relatively undamaged, but it seems instead that society's dregs have done their worst. :angry:

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Rotten news. I thought it was unlikely to have been spirited away, which gave hope it would be located not too far away and relatively undamaged, but it seems instead that society's dregs have done their worst. :angry:

We don't know. It is possible that the owner had upset someone and that they were retaliating..

Anyway, at least it has now been located and his insurance company will pay for renovations, so he'll probably end up with a better boat than he had before (lose the creche cover, though).

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

We don't know. It is possible that the owner had upset someone and that they were retaliating..

Anyway, at least it has now been located and his insurance company will pay for renovations, so he'll probably end up with a better boat than he had before (lose the creche cover, though).

That's interesting Athy - I'm assuming the worst of the perpetrators and you're assuming the worst of the "victim"! Food for thought, I suppose. ;)

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Anyway, at least it has now been located and his insurance company will pay for renovations...................

This assumes, of course, it is comprehensively insured.

I would suggest that by no means all boats are, particularly ones that are likely to have reached an age where surveys are required to get that insurance.

Even if the owner is comprehensively insured, I'm sure they will lose out by at least the amount of any excess, and probably a lot more than that.

As we have no idea who the owner is, (or at least I don't), I think it is unhelpful, (to say the least), to suggest that this could have happened because someone bears them a strong grudge.  I suggest the remark is out of order and not nice, given we have no evidence to support such a suggestion.  Perhaps it should be withdrawn?

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's interesting Athy - I'm assuming the worst of the perpetrators and you're assuming the worst of the "victim"! Food for thought, I suppose. ;)

Indeed, if it were true. I have assumed nothing.

Edited by Athy

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is not the first case of a boat being nicked and stripped within hours. As for being better off after the insurance put it right, ask Wandering Snail.

If I remember rightly, 'Wandering Snail' belonged to a former forum m member, and was damaged in March (town rather than month) when a JCB or similar fell on it. I don't think it was stolen. I think it's now abroad. I'm pleased to hear that the insurance company put things right..

That was certainly our experience after our house was damaged. It was a LOT better after the insurance companies had finished with it, because of course all the old and rather worn bits such as carpets, curtains, furniture, Rayburn were replaced by brand new ones.  I hope it'll be the same for this Springer (though I doubt it has space for a Rayburn).

40 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is not the first case of a boat being nicked and stripped within hours. As for being better off after the insurance put it right, ask Wandering Snail.

And certainly not even the only first one recently in London.

Facebook has several posts like this....

So. At least 3 boats stolen and recovered stripped and trashed in Alperton in recent months. What the hell is going on round there???

That's why I am unhappy with a suggestion that the owner may have in some way brought it upon themselves, or even that they might somehow end up with a better boat as a result.

None of us would wish for something similar to happen to our boats, would they?

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

If I remember rightly, 'Wandering Snail' belonged to a former forum m member, and was damaged in March (town rather than month) when a JCB or similar fell on it. I don't think it was stolen. I think it's now abroad. I'm pleased to hear that the insurance company put things right..

I don't think Ann and Oli would agree it was all put right.

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Can't see that it has to be boaters though!

Would it not depend a bit on where it was found?  If it was found somewhere that hadn't easy vehicular access for removing heavy/bulky items that might suggest transfer to a boat.