Is Oxford canal south of Rugby on target to open on 16 mar

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

We are pressing on (with fingers crossed :-). Plan is to stop in Newbold tonight (hopefully there is space)  and review the situation tomorrow 

Haggis 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  As it happens I've picked up a bad cold so a weeks shore leave should help it.

Many years ago I slipped up and didn't check the winter stoppage list correctly, ended up at the bottom of Farmers Bridge flight to find it closed. Rang CRT and got told it was due to open in the morning, in the meantime the lady on the boat we were cruising with walked up for a look. The top end was drained and scaffolded out to work above it, chatting to the foreman his view was it would be lucky to be open next Friday, never mind this one. We believed him and took a long detour, CRT updated the stoppage list the next day to extend it for a week. The office doesn't always know whats happening.

Just received an email update from CaRT.  Seems the navigation IS open from 16:00 on Friday.  The contractor will be still be working on-site but these will not affect navigation.

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Location: Between Hillmorton and Clifton upon Dunsmore, Oxford Canal
Up Stream Winding Hole: Above Bridge 74, Kilsby Road Bridge.
Down Stream Winding Hole: At the junction of the Clifton Arm.

Monday 5 February 2018 08:00 until Friday 16 March 2018 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: 3rd Party Works

Update on 15/03/2018:

The navigation between Hillmorton and Clifton upon Dunsmore will be re-opened from 4pm tomorrow as planned. 

The third party contractor will be continuing to carry out drainage works along the side of the canal but these will not affect the navigation.  Boaters are asked to proceed with care.

Please be aware the towpath in this area is closed and a diversion is in place.  The towpath diversion will continue until September 2018 while the third party contractor carries out further works adjacent to the canal.

If they think you can wind a decent length boat in the Clifton Arm, you can certainly wind either above or below Hillmorton Bottom Lock.

Why on earth do they suggest you have to wind above bridge 74!!  (for those who don't know the area, the bridge just above Bottom Lock is 71)

4 minutes ago, nigel carton said:

That’s it then, artic gear on, let’s do some boating ! I’m on NB Lunas, dark blue 57’ heading north from Braunston, feel free to flag me down and supply bacon butty and coffee, us boat delivery skippers have a tough life :-)

The last one I met wasn't doing to bad, I even set all the Chester locks for him

Just heard that the canal is opening at the bridgework site at 4pm as scheduled but it is a compromise (so well done CRT) because the bridge span is apparently not complete and they will continue on work on it. So take it at a rush in case they do a Florida !!

44 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Just heard that the canal is opening at the bridgework site at 4pm as scheduled but it is a compromise (so well done CRT) because the bridge span is apparently not complete and they will continue on work on it. So take it at a rush in case they do a Florida !!

Surely this stoppage was never intended to complete the construction of the bridge, just the abutments.  So to me this all sounds to be happening to plan.

19 hours ago, nigel carton said:

That’s it then, artic gear on, let’s do some boating ! I’m on NB Lunas, dark blue 57’ heading north from Braunston, feel free to flag me down and supply bacon butty and coffee, us boat delivery skippers have a tough life :-

We're through!!!  Arrived about 11.30 and moored at the end of a line of moored boats. Some occupied and some not 

Walked down to have a look and on our way back heard that we could go through very slowly 

So we did 

Haggis 

I've just taken a stroll down that way, it looks promising from the evidence.

Although there is no signage to advise what time or how I'd say it was a goer.

It's hardly a hive of activity, I caught sight of a pair of lesser spotted High Vis wearing hard hats and tried to attract their attention to ask if it was passable or not, but they were too busy doing their hands in pockets and staring at nothing posture.

four.JPG

six.JPG