Tree cutting on the Nene

blackrose

Featured Posts

The EA (or its contractors) cut back lots of trees on the stretch of the Nene where I am last year which is great, but they've laid the cuttings all along the bank right on the waters edge. Some of these cuttings are like small trees. The pictures I've posted are just the smaller cuttings nearby. Does anyone know why they do this? There are literally miles of cuttings all along the banks just waiting to be blown or washed into the river and I saw a couple of huge bushes come floating by yesterday, one of which is now upended with the branch just sticking out the water mid-channel on a lock approach near me.

Edit: Sorry I did re-orientate these photos before posting them, but they've still come out the wrong way.

20180312_134721.jpg

20180312_134756.jpg

20180312_134926.jpg

20180312_135238.jpg

20180312_135833.jpg

And finally a picture of the horses I took on my walk today... Again at the bottom of the picture you can see cuttings on the waters edge. I don't really get it?

20180312_134901.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I think its because 

(a) the trees technically still  belong to the landowner

(b) it makes it very  expensive if you have to take it all away. Especially if the trees arent yours to start with.

Guess the landowners have no obligation to maintain navigation and the navigation authorities have no obligation to pay to remove the land owners trees?

It may be a case of:-

• We didn't have the right kit with us, or
  • It's not I the contract - we just cut or
  • it's the riparian owner's tree - he can jolly well remove it or
  • something else

I've seen (somewhere - I can't remember) a boat / barge with a chipper on it. That seemed a great idea, 'a lot of branch' goes into an small and easily manageable pile when it's been chipped. It would be good if that was the true answer.

Yes, I guess you're both right. I couldn't understand why they didn't drag the cuttings a bit further back, but I guess they can't leave them on private land so they just leave them at the water's edge. But technically even the land on the water's edge belongs to the landowner? 

Sorry -off topic and all that but do you know if the field you took the pics from is still an unofficial mooring? Always liked to stop there.Think I read on here once that the land owner was charging to stay on it now ?

It still has "Private/No Mooring" signs but I've seen boats moor there overnight. I've no idea if they pay or not.

It still has "Private/No Mooring" signs but I've seen boats moor there overnight. I've no idea if they pay or not.

Thanks. The signs are handy to tie up to - until the cows trip over your ropes or chew them undone!

Photo of where them trees end up. Took me about half hour to get out the lock (just after Xmas storms and flood).Phoned EA and they were there next day and cleared it all to their credit.

20180110_150355.jpg

I've seen (somewhere - I can't remember) a boat / barge with a chipper on it. That seemed a great idea, 'a lot of branch' goes into an small and easily manageable pile when it's been chipped. It would be good if that was the true answer.

That is what CRT contractors do, large stuff in logs rest chipped

I think its because 

(a) the trees technically still  belong to the landowner

(b) it makes it very  expensive if you have to take it all away. Especially if the trees arent yours to start with.

Guess the landowners have no obligation to maintain navigation and the navigation authorities have no obligation to pay to remove the land owners trees?

I think Paul J is right, they leave them for all the reasons mentioned AND because they don't have the automatic right to "enter" the land to deal with the trees after cutting/felling.

Great spot I know it well - we spent 4 years moored at Oundle Marina app 15 years ago and love the Nene :).

I think Paul J is right, they leave them for all the reasons mentioned AND because they don't have the automatic right to "enter" the land to deal with the trees after cutting/felling.

That may well be correct. The only problem is that a lot of the cuttings will end up in the river.

That looks like a cut, stack and return later with a chipper job to me, I find it unlikely that a landowner would accept this or the EA tbh unless the plan is to return and chip.

The EA can be understandably picky about allowing brash or chips to lie in a way it can enter the waterway

Although the trees belong to the landowner once it has been cut, assuming the tree owner doesn't want the brash, it is the responsibility of whoever cut the timber to remove

It could of course just poor job done by an incompetent contractor

All very interesting on 'my patch' - the Thames, tree cutting, or lack thereof,  is a constant irritation amongst all types of boaters. EA's counter is always that they can't get the riparian owners to agree or respond. The above may be a new approach - on the basis that in a domestic situation, 'you' are entitled to trim any branches overhanging your property - provided that you return the cuttings to the other side. I wonder if this is a new approach by EA? I'll try and ask via my contacts.

The Thames above Oxford is plagued by many large overhanging trees and I think this puts off many visitors, which is a shame - 'cos it's lovely.

All very interesting on 'my patch' - the Thames, tree cutting, or lack thereof,  is a constant irritation amongst all types of boaters. EA's counter is always that they can't get the riparian owners to agree or respond. The above may be a new approach - on the basis that in a domestic situation, 'you' are entitled to trim any branches overhanging your property - provided that you return the cuttings to the other side. I wonder if this is a new approach by EA? I'll try and ask via my contacts.

The Thames above Oxford is plagued by many large overhanging trees and I think this puts off many visitors, which is a shame - 'cos it's lovely.

Sorry, thats a mistake,  you are allowed to remove anything overhanging your property,  although conservation area and TPO legislation does limit this to a degree,  but any brash should be offered to the tree owner, if the owner refuses to take the debris, its up to you to dispose of it.

Dumping of the waste, even on the tree owners property, then becomes fly tipping

It could of course just poor job done by an incompetent contractor

They must cover a big area then because although EA , Im on a different river to Blackrose and that wasnt just storm damage blocking the lock. There were (cut ) trunks and logs 12" diameter plus floating about in there too!

On 12/03/2018 at 16:26, OldGoat said:

There are two groups of volunteers (CRT & IWA) cutting back the offside vegetation in our area Great Haywood and Rugeley on the T&M). They have a big beast of a woodchipper in their work boat and it throws the shredded cuttings onto the bank side right on to the land from whence it originated. I've seen them reduce 10 inch branches to virtually nothing.

4 minutes ago, Grassman said:

There are two groups of volunteers (CRT & IWA) cutting back the offside vegetation in our area Great Haywood and Rugeley on the T&M). They have a big beast of a woodchipper in their work boat and it throws the shredded cuttings onto the bank side right on to the land from whence it originated. I've seen them reduce 10 inch branches to virtually nothing.

Thats a toy :)

I've seen a bigger one at a trade show,  that was a beast