240v Socket with USB - Work with invertor?

Featured Posts

I am contemplating replacing a 240v double socket on my boat with a socket which has USB sockets as well - for charging phones, etc.. The 240v double socket would be powered by a Sterling inverter.

Is there any reason why the inverter would be incompatible with the USB sockets? Does anyone have such a system that works?

If you don't use the Inverter a lot and only really using it to charge the USB stuff, it would be better to use USB sockets fed from 12v.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

Seems a bit of a shame to go 12V DC -> 230V AC -> 5V DC, if it can be avoided.

No reason why not, all the socket does is reduce the voltage to that needed for phone charging etc., so I doubt there are any "sensitive" electronics involved.

A bit more than just voltage reduction, of course.  It needs to rectify from AC to DC as well.

I wouldn't be totally confident that every such USB enabled mains socket would work faultlessly irrespective of the inverter type.

If you don't use the Inverter a lot and only really using it to charge the USB stuff, it would be better to use USB sockets fed from 12v.

If they are like us and just have the inverter on all the time, why not? We have a combination of a 230v double socket with double USB charging sockets, and a couple of 12v to double USB sockets. The latter only for convenience as you don’t need a bulky mains socket and /or charger block, you just plug the usb straight into a small socket in the wall.

But as has been said, I’d only do it with a PSW inverter. If it’s an MSW inverter you are into unknown territory!

Thanks for all the replies. I don't use the inverter much and I realise 12 - 230 - 5v seems inefficient. The only advantage is that I have a socket in a convenient position where phones and tablets can be neatly placed. 

Until I go back to the boat I can't answer for certain the questions about the type of inverter, though I think its quasi sine wave.

I built a little shelving system with USB sockets which was hidden away in cupboard but I have temporarily disconnected and removed it as I suspected it might be the cause of the 12v car radio/CD player turning itself on at random moments! Electronics is just a form of magic - isn't it?

If they are like us and just have the inverter on all the time, why not? We have a combination of a 230v double socket with double USB charging sockets, and a couple of 12v to double USB sockets. The latter only for convenience as you don’t need a bulky mains socket and /or charger block, you just plug the usb straight into a small socket in the wall.

But as has been said, I’d only do it with a PSW inverter. If it’s an MSW inverter you are into unknown territory!

Same here,inverter on 24/7, 240 volt fridge on 24/7, bread maker on when needed, electric toothbrush charged once a week, miFi on 24/7, Ipad all the time we are cruising, Laptop on charge.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

we have a few of them with our psw inverter and they work fine  but to be honest, the inverter is only on when we need the mains (washer/microwave)  - ergo, I've fitted 10 double 12v to 5v usb sockets around the boat as well - which we use for phones etc.

Why Not?   My point was if they don't use the inverter all the time then be better to go down the 12v route as Inverters are just the equivalent of paying tax when you don't need to..  Your case is different as you have yours on 24/7 so already paying the tax.

• Happy 1

Do these things actualy save any lectric? If inverter is on anyway is it not just the same as plugging the mains fone charger directly in to the socket? I understand the up and down voltage bit but surely the same thing happens to the voltage in the fancy sockets with usb in so is anything gained? just askin like 

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

The only thing to watch on these is if you use a "sleep mode" powersaver on the inverter.  The draw on a USB point in a mains socket will probably not be enough to wake up the inverter, so you think your phone is on charge but it isn't.

With a Quasi Sinewave  or Modified Sinewave inverter I would expect them to work fairly well, but there is a risk the lumpy electric will burn out the USB circuit, depending on the design of the socket.

1 minute ago, philjw said:

I've got a couple at home. The benefit is that you can plug something else into the socket while the phone charges from the USB cable.

Thanks Phil. I thought that was probably the only benefit but was unsure so thought I would ask as swmbo was asking me if they were a good idea for us as she has seen them at one of our kids houses. It realy isnt worth messing for us then as we have 28 sockets onboard so plenty of scope.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It realy isnt worth messing for us then as we have 28 sockets onboard so plenty of scope

I'd agree wth that. We stick with charging from 12V on the boat but the house was built in the 60s and has nowhere near enough sockets for all the kit in use now.

6 minutes ago, philjw said:

I'd agree wth that. We stick with charging from 12V on the boat but the house was built in the 60s and has nowhere near enough sockets for all the kit in use now.

This boat was fitted as a liveaboard by a company that actualy new what they were doing hence plenty of sockets. The boat had 34 when I bought it but I took six out when fitting a stove. I have owned house with less.

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This boat was fitted as a liveaboard by a company that actualy new what they were doing hence plenty of sockets. The boat had 34 when I bought it but I took six out when fitting a stove. I have owned house with less.

Who built it then?

I fitted mains/USB sockets on our boat 5 years ago and they worked with the 20 year old MSW inverter, a cheap chinese "PSW" inverter and our current inverter which is a heavy, expensive, PSW inverter.  We rarely use them when off the mains but since we're hooked up 99% of the time they are very useful and these days they don't really cost much more than a normal socket.

On 12/03/2018 at 14:46, Bugsworth Tippler said:

I am contemplating replacing a 240v double socket on my boat with a socket which has USB sockets as well - for charging phones, etc.. The 240v double socket would be powered by a Sterling inverter.

Is there any reason why the inverter would be incompatible with the USB sockets? Does anyone have such a system that works?

I changed one of my 240v sockets for one of these about a year ago and it has worked fine for me. Mine runs from a PSW sterling inverter.