Quote titles have gone!

Go to solution Solved by nicknorman,

Featured Posts

Well I still think this 'voting on the left' button is total cr**. No flow at all to this thread and it looks like a load of duplicated stuff.

By the way, are we going to get this problem solved? It is really annoying to read responses to quotes and not knowing who quoted, and worse not getting a notification (sorry getting a notification) of a new post.....but not being able to do something about it. 24 hours since this started!

Well I still think this 'voting on the left' button is total cr**. No flow at all to this thread and it looks like a load of duplicated stuff.

By the way, are we going to get this problem solved? It is really annoying to read responses to quotes and not knowing who quoted, and worse not getting a notification (sorry getting a notification) of a new post.....but not being able to do something about it. 24 hours since this started!

Just click the “sort by date” button then! Come on, you have a PhD, it can’t be that difficult!

But yes, clearly there is a problem with the quoting etc.

Just click the “sort by date” button then! Come on, you have a PhD, it can’t be that difficult!

But yes, clearly there is a problem with the quoting etc.

"Sort by date button".......never seen that before.......What a muppet! My PhD was in hindsight and the bleeding obvious. I'm good at that.

Now why didn’t I think of looking there? The obvious place to put it...

It’s because the OP is repeated at the top of each page. The general idea is that all responses are supposed to be answers to the OP and then the plebes can vote up which one they think is the best answer. The trouble is we are using it just like a normal thread and so it don’t work proper.

It’s because the OP is repeated at the top of each page. The general idea is that all responses are supposed to be answers to the OP and then the plebes can vote up which one they think is the best answer. The trouble is we are using it just like a normal thread and so it don’t work proper.

Oh I SEE, its the users' fault, not a case of dopey system design. We are using it all wrong. Silly us. 

Which of course is the point I was trying to get across to that nice Mr Athy, but he just wasn't getting it. 

Oh I SEE, its the users' fault, not a case of dopey system design. We are using it all wrong. Silly us. 

Which of course is the point I was trying to get across to that nice Mr Athy, but he just wasn't getting it. 

THank you for your assessment of my character. Yes, I think that Nick Norman pointed out how to use it, and it does make sense.

But it never happens, as illustrated by this thread. Which is my point. 

But it does. If you sort by vote, Nick Norman's post moves to post 2 on page 1. Posted 2 hours ago, but it's above a post that was posted 8 hours ago. So it's been "voted" to first place, because it's the most helpful post.

But it does. If you sort by vote, Nick Norman's post moves to post 2 on page 1. Posted 2 hours ago, but it's above a post that was posted 8 hours ago. So it's been "voted" to first place, because it's the most helpful post.

But this is all daft. Nicks post DID NOT answer my original post. He answered a question that was raised on page two, so his answer is now detached from the question and makes no sense following my OP so how can it be the most helpful post to the OP?............ and we still cant see who he is commenting on.

I like seeing my pic at the top of each page.

When are we getting it fixed?

• Greenie 1

Invision (the people who develop the forum software) published a security update which also included some bug fixes. I believe the aforementioned issues were caused by a server side caching issue following the update. This should now be fixed but please let me know if this is not the case. 

It would not be appropriate nor in your interests for us to ignore or postpone security updates which is why we don't delay. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused by them. We do our best to minimise any disruption caused by the maintenance when considering we volunteer for Canal World during our spare time and bearing in mind our other work/life commitments. 

Thank you all for the feedback.

6 minutes ago, RichM said:

Invision (the people who develop the forum software) published a security update which also included some bug fixes. I believe the aforementioned issues were caused by a server side caching issue following the update. This should now be fixed but please let me know if this is not the case. 

It would not be appropriate nor in your interests for us to ignore or postpone security updates which is why we don't delay, I'm just sorry for any inconvenience caused by them. We do our best to minimise any disruption caused by the maintenance when considering we volunteer for Canal World during our spare time and bearing in mind our other work/life commitments. 

Thank you all for the feedback.

Thank you, Rich.

13 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Have I missed something? When you reply to a post and use a quote, the resulting post shows the quoted piece but does not identify the person you are quoting in the header of the quote box. Is this intentional or a glitch. I far prefer knowing where the quote is from.

Bring back quote headers!

Seems OK to me @Dr Bob

Have you been self medicating again :P

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

But this is all daft. Nicks post DID NOT answer my original post. He answered a question that was raised on page two, so his answer is now detached from the question and makes no sense following my OP so how can it be the most helpful post to the OP?............ and we still cant see who he is commenting on.

I like seeing my pic at the top of each page.

When are we getting it fixed?

Ah well, you have identified the fundamental problem with democracy, you clever PhD person you! Once stuff is thrown open for the masses to vote on, the chances of getting a sensible let alone optimal outcome is virtually zero!