Quote titles have gone!

Go to solution Solved by nicknorman,

Featured Posts

was the "vote this answer up" thing always there on the left? 

It has been appearing in certain threads over the last few months but I am not sure about the criteria for its inclusion.

Beware of using it: I did once, to test it, and the favoured reply shoots to the beginning of the thread, which can alter the flow of the conversation.

I have just done this with Alan's last post, which has now become the second one down (as it is a "best answer" it obviously can't be the first post).

Edited by Athy

It has been appearing in certain threads over the last few months but I am not sure about the criteria for its inclusion.

Beware of using it: I did once, to test it, and the favoured reply shoots to the beginning of the thread, which can alter the flow of the conversation.

I have just done this with Alan's last post, which has now become the second one down (as it is a "best answer" it obviously can't be the first post).

This 'vote this answer up' is a right pain. Not that it 'can' alter the flow, it totally destroys it. Ok if its just answers to technical queries but not when there is any in depth discussion (= tedious banter).

I think it only happens on this 'Technical forum' thank goodness.

The site is failing to load the script that does all the work being mentioned above.

root_js_lang_2.js Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

Are you sure? I tried it by rebooting the laptop and pressing cmd/alt/shift on startup (it is a Mac you know.....it's raining) and then loading the script. I got

Ice_thickness_response_1/32_inch.js Failed to load resource:the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found).

Perhaps the hosting lot have moved to imperial rather than metric?

This 'vote this answer up' is a right pain. Not that it 'can' alter the flow, it totally destroys it.

Not necessarily. For example, chap posts a topic "Where can I get a blow-down valve for my Russell Harty 2BF?" After a few speculative answers along the lines of "Try Midland Swindlers", "Have you asked at Charity Dock?" & c., in the 10th post of the thread member Bloggins says "Go to Adolf at Hopelessly Outdated Diesels, I was there yesterday and he keeps all the bits for Russell Harties". Voting that answer up to second position, immediately below the original question, would make perfect sense.

Not necessarily. For example, chap posts a topic "Where can I get a blow-down valve for my Russell Harty 2BF?" After a few speculative answers along the lines of "Try Midland Swindlers", "Have you asked at Charity Dock?" & c., in the 10th post of the thread member Bloggins says "Go to Adolf at Hopelessly Outdated Diesels, I was there yesterday and he keeps all the bits for Russell Harties". Voting that answer up to second position, immediately below the original question, would make perfect sense.

I disagree. If someone asked for a blow down, it would only take 2 minutes before a string of posts with tenous links to blowing on things, all of which would be lost in the subsequent re-organisation of the posts. Perhaps your right!

Was I right, or was I right?

edit....ok it took 3 minutes.

If I click on the button on Alan's post, it will shoot to the top of the list and then we will loose all the hilarity caused by his reponse to the detriment of the forum........er yes, as before, you are probably right.

Edited by Dr Bob

Hmmm now you're thinking like Invision.

Can you post up a link to ANY thread here that followed that pattern? I very much doubt it.

Hmmm now you're thinking like Invision.

Can you post up a link to ANY thread here that followed that pattern? I very much doubt it.

I don't know who Invision is so I can't comment on that

No, of course not, because no one on here has a Russell Harty as far as I'm aware. But it's certainly feasible.

The only questions to the tech-staff should be why not use a more stable platform provider, such as V-Bulletin ?

i’d guess because, if memory serves, they charge like a wounded rhino. to be fair its been at least ten years since i was involved in running a forum/site so things may have changed in that respect. i suspect its also a right pain in the ‘arris to migrate the database to a different provider.

Ah yes, thank you. I still have no idea how they think, though!

They think like this:

For example, chap posts a topic "Where can I get a blow-down valve for my Russell Harty 2BF?" After a few speculative answers along the lines of "Try Midland Swindlers", "Have you asked at Charity Dock?" & c., in the 10th post of the thread member Bloggins says "Go to Adolf at Hopelessly Outdated Diesels, I was there yesterday and he keeps all the bits for Russell Harties". Voting that answer up to second position, immediately below the original question, would make perfect sense.

Voting that answer up to second position, immediately below the original question, would make perfect sense.

If that happened and somebody visited the thread by doing as I do clicking for next unread would they see it?

One of my posts got treated in such a way and I couldn't find it having gone to the next unread so IMO there is a chance a really useful answer might be missed.

They think like this:

For example, chap posts a topic "Where can I get a blow-down valve for my Russell Harty 2BF?" After a few speculative answers along the lines of "Try Midland Swindlers", "Have you asked at Charity Dock?" & c., in the 10th post of the thread member Bloggins says "Go to Adolf at Hopelessly Outdated Diesels, I was there yesterday and he keeps all the bits for Russell Harties". Voting that answer up to second position, immediately below the original question, would make perfect sense.

Logically, in other words.

If that happened and somebody visited the thread by doing as I do clicking for next unread would they see it?

One of my posts got treated in such a way and I couldn't find it having gone to the next unread so IMO there is a chance a really useful answer might be missed.

I don't know, so I'll try it with this post of yours so that we can find out. There, just done it.

Logically, in other words.

I don't know, so I'll try it with this post of yours so that we can find out. There, just done it.

Perhaps not as I was taken straight to this post, but then again I had already seen my own post (I know some might think I type them with my eyes shut).  It needs somebody who hasn't seen my post but has been following the thread to report I think.

Yes.

Which, back in the real world, is no help at all as threads don't develop as you describe.

But that won't matter if the best direct answer to the original question immediately follows it. The rest of us can woffle on about ecofans and ducks, but the O.P. can easily find the answer he required.

But that won't matter if the best direct answer to the original question immediately follows it. The rest of us can woffle on about ecofans and ducks, but the O.P. can easily find the answer he required.

But it won't though. No-one EVER answers a question directly on here!

But it won't though. No-one EVER answers a question directly on here!

Er, please Sir, you and I have both answered a couple of each other's questions in a direct and totally non-tangential manner.

I rest my case.

• Solution

On the subject of voting up / ordering of posts in this thread, at the top of each page is the OP. Below that there is a line/bar on which at the right, are two buttons “sort by date” and “sort by votes”. Hopefully self-explanatory!

• Greenie 1