Quote titles have gone!

Go to solution Solved by nicknorman,

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It’s because the OP is repeated at the top of each page. The general idea is that all responses are supposed to be answers to the OP and then the plebes can vote up which one they think is the best answer. The trouble is we are using it just like a normal thread and so it don’t work proper.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh I SEE, its the users' fault, not a case of dopey system design. We are using it all wrong. Silly us. 

No, the system can be configured in many different ways.  When the forum was upgraded people were ranting about the vote up thing, and the mods decided to turn it off for us lot because we don't cooperate with it!

When there was a patch that confused the website earlier, it must have overridden the CWDF settings.

The bit that was broken includes the "off switch" for features we don't use on here.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Ah well, you have identified the fundamental problem with democracy, you clever PhD person you! Once stuff is thrown open for the masses to vote on, the chances of getting a sensible let alone optimal outcome is virtually zero!

One man, one vote.

It just depends on who the man is ...

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, the system can be configured in many different ways.  When the forum was upgraded people were ranting about the vote up thing, and the mods decided to turn it off for us lot because we don't cooperate with it!

When there was a patch that confused the website earlier, it must have overridden the CWDF settings.

The bit that was broken includes the "off switch" for features we don't use on here.

No this section is set to a different format aimed at straightforward questions and answers. There’s a lot of this type of thing on the internet, someone asks a question, several people answer, and then the most useful answer is voted up to the top. It’s a good idea in principle, but as always with clever technology, the human element is the weakest link. Smart phone stupid man etc.

Edited by nicknorman

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No this section is set to a different format aimed at straightforward questions and answers. There’s a lot of this type of thing on the internet, someone asks a question, several people answer, and then the most useful answer is voted up to the top. It’s a good idea in principle, but as always with clever technology, the human element is the weakest link. Smart phone stupid man etc.

I agree.  I only quoted your post for context, as I regularly use systems that enforce on-topic answers to the original question and allow rating of answers.

You did notice that the upvote button has disappeared again since @Paul C fixed the script cache, I assume?

CWDF posters just can't be trusted to stay anywhere near topic, never mind on topic (other topics are available)

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree.  I only quoted your post for context, as I regularly use systems that enforce on-topic answers to the original question and allow rating of answers.

You did notice that the upvote button has disappeared again since @Paul C fixed the script cache, I assume?

CWDF posters just can't be trusted to stay anywhere near topic, never mind on topic (other topics are available)

Or @RichM even!

39 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It’s a good idea in principle, but as always with clever technology, the human element is the weakest link. Smart phone stupid man etc.

Yet another iteration of the point I was making to that nice Mr A.

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Ah well, you have identified the fundamental problem with democracy, you clever PhD person you! Once stuff is thrown open for the masses to vote on, the chances of getting a sensible let alone optimal outcome is virtually zero!

I seem to have unintentionally got myself into the Brexit thread, even though I have been trying like mad to avoid it! :P

• Haha 1

Well done @RichM for fixing it.

.......but now the voting buttons have gone. Is there a secret switch in plain sight that I need to click to get the voting buttons back? If there was a 'Sensible section' to the forum where no straying off topic was allowed and no jokes allowed then those buttons might work.  You wouldn't be able to ask another question (not even the OP) and discussion would be pointless. We could move the Brexit thread in there.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well done @RichM for fixing it.

.......but now the voting buttons have gone. 

From the comments about them, they did not seem popular, so perhaps Rich has eliminated them due to public demand, which is fair enough.