Sealand Traveler toilet leaking/dripping/dribbling

jhodgski

Featured Posts

When I flush my toilet for longer than a second or two, water drips from the top of this part behind the toilet (see attached photo)

From https://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/sealand-vacuum-breaker-assembly-dometic-3606-toilet-p-26979.html?osCsid=530f18eaabbecb630fd95d2b846fa59b , it looks like the part is called a vacuum breaker assembly (VBA). But I'm not sure why it's started dripping.

I've taken the VBA off. Blocking its outlet with my hand, I don't have to blow that hard into the inlet for my breath to come out of the escape hole at the top (which is where the water is dribbling out from).

Do I need a new VBA? They cost £50, so what would the consequences be if, instead, I just blocked off the escape hole with some sealant?

If it's not the VBA that's the problem (or I shouldn't seal it off), I'm wondering if my water pump pressure / flow rate could be too high? Or maybe there is a blockage in the toilet flushing parts somewhere?

Any other suggestions/input welcome.

Cheers,
James

20180311_121141.jpg

On mine it was dripping from where the rubbery effort poked into the porcelain, it was really difficult to see exactly what was going on so I just wrapped tape everywhere, an awful bodge really but saved £50, that was a couple of years ago.

I read this on the web...

The vacuum breaker is an important component of a bibcock valve or toilet flush valve. The purpose of this valve is to prevent contaminated water from backing up into the drinking water system if the public water system's pressure drops suddenly. It is important that the vacuum breaker is working its best 24/7.

...maybe I'd be best getting a new one.

The regulator on my gas bottle went this winter as well which had also served me for 20+ years. Maybe the cold has been taking its toll.