Oil pressure switch.

Nessa

Featured Posts

Hi there!

I've been for a whole week trying to find a right oil pressure switch that could fit on my engine.
Its Af fitting it says on it: W519864 bmi 2705 or W517864 bmi 2705 not sure

I already ordered few online and non of those fitted.

Here I post some pictures of help, so if anyone have an idea where can I find it would be more than great.

Any advice is more than welcome. :)

Thanks!!

20180310_190358.jpg

20180310_190407.jpg

20180310_190418.jpg

20180310_190423.jpg

It looks like a standard oil pressure SWITCH with the top fallen/taken off to me so in my view the actual operating pressure is not that vital. As long as it is not an oil pressure SENDER I think any BMC B series oil pressure switch will do, be it petrol or diesel. If you have no luck at a local motor factors contact Calcutt.

30 minutes ago, Nessa said:

Hi there!

I've been for a whole week trying to find a right oil pressure switch that could fit on my engine.
Its Af fitting it says on it: W519864 bmi 2705 or W517864 bmi 2705 not sure

I already ordered few online and non of those fitted.

Here I post some pictures of help, so if anyone have an idea where can I find it would be more than great.

Any advice is more than welcome. :)

Thanks!!

What engine is it from ?

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

What engine is it from ?

engine bmc leyland 1.5 8 series diesel

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It looks like a standard oil pressure SWITCH with the top fallen/taken off to me so in my view the actual operating pressure is not that vital. As long as it is not an oil pressure SENDER I think any BMC B series oil pressure switch will do, be it petrol or diesel. If you have no luck at a local motor factors contact Calcutt.

The top part is broken so I am looking for the whole thing. 
I already try other standard switches that it suppose to work for bmc 1.5 but it did fit.

3 minutes ago, Nessa said:

I already try other standard switches that it suppose to work for bmc 1.5 but it did fit.

As TB has said it's a very common oil pressure switch.  This is what you need  :-http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/ourshop_90073/prod_393291-90519864-Oil-Pressure-Light-Switch.html

It's not in a T piece by any chance so you can also run a rising oil pressure switch or pressure sender? If so the thread may be different. I must say your thread looks a bit course to me and parallel. I thought the BMC switches had a taper thread (may well be wrong with this). You may have to find out what thread it is before you find a switch that fits.

Your photo does not look like a UNF thread to me but maybe UNC (UN threads generally go with AF spanners sized in inches).

3 hours ago, Nessa said:

Does your switch screw directly into the engine block or does it screw into an adaptor for an oil pressure guage ?

I think you now need to sort out the diameter and pitch of the thread. That is how many threads/peaks per inch. The tell us and someone can look it up and tell you what thread it is. As I said the opening pressure is not very critical so once you know the thread you should be able to find something to fit.

If you are lucky you may find an old fashioned motor factors who will use the remains to find something that may fit.

directly into engine block.

So if it's a British built BMC engine the only reason the one from Calcutt would not fit would surely be if someone had re-tapped the hole, which sounds unlikely.

It doesn't sound like you have a Turkish engine, but my own experience says that some of the tappings in the block or cylinder head of those don't use the same thread as the British engine.

When ordering anything from Calcutt make it clear which engine you have, as I found they had a habit of sending bits for the one you don't have!

I think you now need to sort out the diameter and pitch of the thread. That is how many threads/peaks per inch. The tell us and someone can look it up and tell you what thread it is. As I said the opening pressure is not very critical so once you know the thread you should be able to find something to fit.

If you are lucky you may find an old fashioned motor factors who will use the remains to find something that may fit.

so, the length is 1 cm and the diameter is 8 mm.

I've attached another picture from the whole piece if that helps.

Thanks.

2018-03-11 22.12.14.jpg

That makes no sense to me. I may be wrong but I have never heard of such engines being given series designation so is it a 1.5 or a 1.8. Alan talks of Turkish engines and then there are Indian ones for 1.5s .

I think a photo of the injector side of the engine will allow us to identify which you have.

No, the photo does not help. I think the problem is the thread (that looks courser than normal to me) so you may have a 1.8 diesel that you have been told is a 1.5. That could explain ones sold for a 1.5 will not fit.

If it really is 8mm in diameter it sounds like a metric thread and by the look of it it could be metric course BUT we need the number of threads per inch or 25mm to be certain.

Edited by Tony Brooks

It will also have an injector pump parallel with the block where as the 1.5 has it stuck out at right angle to the bock axis. maybe easier for the OP to see - hence my request for a photo of the injector side of the engine.

I am not 100% sure the early 1.8s without the external ribs on the block are so marked.

I've checked out the part no. w519864 of the op's oil pressure switch and found it's Lucas equivalent is SOB 400. I think that this has a parallel thread as it comes with a sealing washer. In my experience with BMC A & B series engines, they all had 1/8th bsp taper threads. It begs the question, is the op's engine Turkish built & they changed the thread.

Lucas oil.jpg

Thanks Flyboy. It also begs the question about exactly what engine she has. I bet it will turn out to be a 1.8.

It will save a lot of problems down the  line if she gets that sorted now.

I agree - OP really does need to know exactly what BMC they have (1.5 or 1.8) (English, Turkish, Indian), or ordering bits will always be problematic.

That said Calcutt list the same oil pressure switch for both the 1.5 and 1.8 engines, so for this particular part the capacity shouldm't matter.

I've no idea if this is a case where the non British variant uses a different thread, but Calcutt do not list different parts for this dependant on country of build.

Thanks Flyboy. It also begs the question about exactly what engine she has. I bet it will turn out to be a 1.8.

It will save a lot of problems down the  line if she gets that sorted now.

I've done a bit more digging and found out that the op's pressure switch has a 3/8 BSF thread. It was fitted to Land Rovers up to 1984. The mystery deepens. What's this switch doing in a BMC engine?

Edited by Flyboy
  • Greenie 1

I've done a bit more digging and found out that the op's pressure switch has a 3/8 BSF thread. It was fitted to Land Rovers up to 1984. The mystery deepens. What's this switch doing in a BMC engine?

I would want her to confirm it is not screwed into an adaptor or better still send a photo of the "hole". I know she said there is no adaptor but would one be recognised if its just a straight one. 

I am beginning to suspect someone must have re-tapped the hole to suit the adaptor.

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Thats what I love about boats- even the most mundane things turn out not to be.

Well sussed that man:)

There are many BMC engines, old truck engines, various Land Rover engines and several Taxi engines, all will take some different parts.

Can the poster please send a photo taken straight down on top of the engine from which we can be sure?

1,5  BMC diesels from Austin Cambridges and J series vans to the 1.8 Sherpa all take 1/8 BSP (British Standard Pipe ) thread oil switches.

Sounds like its a Land Rover engine, most of these had 3/8 BSP thread, possibly a 2.25 litre unit.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Sounds like its a Land Rover engine, most of these had 3/8 BSP thread, possibly a 2.25 litre unit.

That is why I asked for a photo of the engine days ago. The OP will have a hard time if the engine has been misidentified.