Residential moorings.

AnB

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, IanD said:

Winding hydraulic paddles down isn't just a pain, its sodding dangerous if your boat gets hung up in the lock, as happened to us many years ago. The stupid thing is that it would have been simple and cheap to add a quick-release bypass valve to the hydraulics to let the paddles drop quickly and smoothly in an emergency...

I agree but was actually talking about the add on mechanical gearboxes on the ordinary rack paddle gear, they are just as bad.

When i started reading this i was expecting to find a link to a directory of all private and CRT longterm moorings on the K&A - which is the sort of information i'm assuming the OP was after. Would i be right to assume that no such information exists?

43 minutes ago, Froggy said:

When i started reading this i was expecting to find a link to a directory of all private and CRT longterm moorings on the K&A - which is the sort of information i'm assuming the OP was after. Would i be right to assume that no such information exists?

Yes.

The OP asked specifically for formally residential moorings. Frankly, I can't think of any.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes.

The OP asked specifically for formally residential moorings. Frankly, I can't think of any.

As somebody else mentioned there are some at Devizes marina, but i think there is a waiting list, and possibly at Dundas wharf where i think the same applies. From what i've read on this thread though, leisure moorings would be a useful alternative. On the section i currently know, between Bath and Wootton Rivers, there seem to be quite a few privately owned leisure moorings, although most appear to be at capacity. As we might ourselves be looking for such towards next winter it would be helpful to have a directory with phone numbers so people could phone around. The only other option is the temporary winter contracts on visitor moorings that CRT offer, although the price isn't very attractive considering there's no mains hookup provided.

This currently seems to be the best CRT can offer, although when i visited this page just now a pop-up chat box appeared, so i've provided a bit of feedback suggesting this.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/mooring/mooring-faqs

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes.

As somebody else mentioned there are some at Devizes marina, but i think there is a waiting list, and possibly at Dundas wharf where i think the same applies. From what i've read on this thread though, leisure moorings would be a useful alternative. On the section i currently know, between Bath and Wootton Rivers, there seem to be quite a few privately owned leisure moorings, although most appear to be at capacity. As we might ourselves be looking for such towards next winter it would be helpful to have a directory with phone numbers so people could phone around. The only other option is the temporary winter contracts on visitor moorings that CRT offer, although the price isn't very attractive considering there's no mains hookup provided.

This currently seems to be the best CRT can offer, although when i visited this page just now a pop-up chat box appeared, so i've provided a bit of feedback suggesting this.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/mooring/mooring-faqs

To clarify the above (because i can no longer edit): i suggested to the CRT that it would be good if they could compile such a directory, across the whole network. Given that they seem keen for boaters to have a 'home mooring' you'd think they would be happy to do this. Nobody answered my message in the Chat box, not even the (presumably virtual) Charlotte whose name appeared in the box, so maybe it just falls on deaf ears..... On a vaguely related subject, it does seem that, looking at their FB page, there will eventually be a new marina at the junction with the old Wilts and Berks, but i'm guessing that this is many years away.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 18:58, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure? Have you done enough research to allow you to make an informed decision?

Moorings - say £1000 to £15,000+ a year with the latter being for true residential but in some Thames marinas it could be £7000.

License - 50 ft boat about £700 a year and more if you want to get off the K&A to other CaRT waters

Batteries - as a newby allow one set a year or more until you get to grips with charging etc, say £400 to £500 for not quiet teh cheapest (4 or 5 battery bank) and its easy to destroy them in weeks at first.

Keeping batteries charged requires fuel so say 20 hours a week minimum at 1 litre per hour, that's  probably over £20 a wek but you will get hot water for that as well in most boats.

Solid fuel for winter warmth, say 2 bags a week for 20 weeks or more at about £10 a bag, £200 (you wont find sufficient "free" wood in most cases.

Insurance £140 a year for fully comp plus whatever extra for your possessions.

Regular blacking &  hull/anode inspection on a 50 ft boat say £600 ever two to three years unless you spend £1000s on zinc spraying and two pack system but it will still have to come out every 5  years or so for inspection.

Repainting - say £5000 or more  every 10 years or so.

Gas for Cooking - I use about three 19Kg cylinders a year but that includes  some heating BUT mine is not a livaboard boat. That is 3 x about £45 = £135 a year and may well be more.

Spare parts repairs and maintenance - I do my own but if you cant I could easily see it averaging £1500 a year or more.

Unless the boat is younger than 20 years (up to 30 for some companies) budget about £1000 every four or five years for a hull inspection & report unless you only insure third party (insurance is compulsory).

Boat Safety Inspection every four years say between £140 & £200.

Fuel for cruising????

When the CaRT water points are out of action I had to pay a marina in Newbury £5 just to fill with water.

Toilet pump outs @ £15 plus a pop unless you ensure you have a cassette type toilet. Say once a month so that a minimum of £180 a year.

And so the list goes on. Others may be able to give you the exact figure for their own livaboard boating.

Without entering into the discussion of moorings and on the basis of my 55' genuinely non residential NB over 20 years + I would say that Tony's estimates are on the conservative side.

Frank