Weather proof Powder Coating.

Bod

Featured Posts

Does anyone have experience of how Powder Coating lasts, when exposed to weather?

I'm having some Solar panels mounted in steel frames, tilting and rotatable, the current thought is to have them powder coated rather than painted.

The Powder Coating firm I've approached, is happy, knowing these will be on a boat, to do the work.

Thanks

Bod

36 minutes ago, Bod said:

Does anyone have experience of how Powder Coating lasts, when exposed to weather?

I'm having some Solar panels mounted in steel frames, tilting and rotatable, the current thought is to have them powder coated rather than painted.

The Powder Coating firm I've approached, is happy, knowing these will be on a boat, to do the work.

Thanks

Bod

Car wheels are powder coated. They seem to cope fine. 

59 minutes ago, Bod said:

Thanks

Bod

Company near me powder coats fittings for oil rigs so would assume it can stand up to the weather well enough

Most architectural stuff for buildings is powder coated these days- Fences, balcony railings, external stairways etc.  They seem to last OK if the coating is not physically damaged.

Paint is just too expensive to maintain.

N

My boat had the aluminium windows frames, aluminium mushroom vents and various brass bits powder coated when new 10 years ago.

On the aluminium bits the powder coating is flaking or bubbling. The brass bits are still perfect. I also have aluminium garden furniture where the powder coating is lifting after 5 plus years to the elements.

Seems to me the powder coating lasts well unless the base material is aluminium.

My experience of powder coating is that when it gets chipped the rust works it's way along under the surface. It has to be completely stripped and redone. I think I would galvanize the frames if the metal is thick enough to withstand the heat without distorting. Just my opinion.

Kieron, yes this is my concern, having seen rust creeping under powder coating, spreading like spiders web, then sheets of coating falling off.

But has the process improved, to the point where weather proofing is realistic.

Bod

Powder coating is as good as the company that dose it. Main concern is that no damp/water can get under it. If it doesnt it will last a life time. Any box section needs capping off and coating etc but then the company doing it will advise that. 

A whole lot better than painting. 

I had the alloy wheels done on a motorcycle. The original Honda coating was beginning to go after only a couple of years, so that'll have been about 2000. Still have that bike and the powder coating is perfect these 18 years later.  

Edited by Sea Dog
Maths.

As per #5 cuthound'

We use powder coat for most of our kit and it stands up well to industrial use but the metalwork must be properly de bured and clean.

We find sticks well to steel, works on zinc based alloys but will flake on aluminum/dural unless the prep is clean and dry.

It's better than spray paint by a good way.

I've explored galvanising, upshot, costs, about the same, tried and trusted for weather proofing outdoor steel.

After 2-3 years exposure to elements, it's paintable!

Ideas are a changing......

Bod