Breakfast

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

So lets get it straight about a full ENGLISH breakfast. It must contain sausages ( proper meat ones ) bacon, eggs and hopefuly black pudding although thats not available daarnn saaarrff. Other applicable items from choice can be any of tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms, white pudding, fried bread and preferably all of them. There is one breakfast item that should NEVER be placed on the plate of an ENGLISH breakfast and that is the gopping abhorrent American intruder known as a Hash brown. Hash browns to an English breakfast are as bad as a pram hood on a narrowboat. B)

So lets get it straight about a full ENGLISH breakfast. It must contain sausages ( proper meat ones ) bacon, eggs and hopefuly black pudding although thats not available daarnn saaarrff. Other applicable items from choice can be any of tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms, white pudding, fried bread and preferably all of them. There is one breakfast item that should NEVER be placed on the plate of an ENGLISH breakfast and that is the gopping abhorrent American intruder known as a Hash brown. Hash browns to an English breakfast are as bad as a pram hood on a narrowboat. B)

Sliced and fried-up left-over potatoes, or left-over mash formed into a round and flattish blob and fried until pleasantly brown on both sides, are however acceptable. The latter are especially palatable when topped with an egg or anointed with baked beans.

Edited by Athy

How about lorne sausage (the flat stuff) or is that too Scottish.....but then there are some who think a full Scottish Breakfast is better than a full English.:) I like lorne sausage...in a roll, with a bit of bacon and tomato sauce.

I didn't get on with the square sausage. Didn't like it. In fact we really struggled to find a good sausage where we were cruising!

We were both very taken by Stornoway black pudding however.

My cat has no need to break his fast, he has midnight feasts and snacks all night long.  I can't face those greasy full English things. I like cool fresh tasting stuff like cornflakes or a bowel full of porridge sprinkled with brown sugar and raisins with a drizzle of Lambs dark rum on top.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You can keep your fried bread. Horrible stuff.

• Greenie 2

On 13/03/2018 at 00:34, Mike the Boilerman said:

Fried bread is totally the BEST bit of a full English.... 

I used to enjoy it especially when Mum beat an egg, added a pinch of seasoning, coated the bread with the egg mixture and then fried it. This was always known in our Sheffield household as "That egg", though I did hear other people calling it "French toast". It was tasty and filling, and one didn't need much else with it.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I used to enjoy it especially when Mum beat an egg, added a pinch of seasoning, coated the bread with the egg mixture and then fried it. This was always known in our Sheffield household as "That egg", though I did hear other people calling it "French toast". It was tasty and filling, and one didn't need much else with it.

Twas French toast in the west riding.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Twas French toast in the west riding.

...which, Sheffield being in that proud Riding, was where I was! "That egg" must have been Mum's invention, and over a half-century later that's still how I think of it.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

...which, Sheffield being in that proud Riding, was where I was! "That egg" must have been Mum's invention, and over a half-century later that's still how I think of it.

Yes they certainly messed the boundries around didnt they!! We were both born in the west riding but Sheffield became south yorkshire and village I lived in is now in north Yorkshire!!

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes they certainly messed the boundries around didnt they!! We were both born in the west riding but Sheffield became south yorkshire and village I lived in is now in north Yorkshire!!

At least they've since got rid of the one named after a petrol station.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

"Eggy bread" in our house!

Now you come to mention it, I think that's what they called it when it was served for breakfast in one of my schools, yes. Thanks for the reminder.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Gypsy toast.