Breakfast

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Just now, rusty69 said:

7/10 for spelling and punctuation:)

Just now, rusty69 said:

7/10 for spelling and punctuation:)

Accepted, this blood iPad is playing up and auto correct is working and not working in equal parts. 

Even spelled Dyer wrongly!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

I apologise for my sloppy use of English. 

Correction:

We, the inhabitants of  Duer Towers, do not eat breakfast. 

We try to adhere to the idea of not eating before noon.

As today is Mother's Day I have succumbed to a piece of multi-seeded toast spread with salted Welsh butter and a scraping of locally produced (next door but one) honey. Courtesy of Daughter Dyer  

A " scraping " of honey :o 

2 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I apologise for my sloppy use of English. 

There was nothing sloppy at all about your use of English. It simply occurred to me that your statement could be interpreted in two ways.

Whoops, I apologise for my sloppy use of duplicate posts. I didn't think that it had worked the first time.

2 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

Edited by Athy

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a half English breakfast today. Not quite the full Monty. With some Henderson's Relish sausages, scrambled eggs, oyster mushrooms and tomatoes. 

20180311_102924.jpg

Very nice and I am pleased there is no sign of any gopping wholemeal anything :D

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Very nice and I am pleased there is no sign of any gopping wholemeal anything :D

Thank you for adding the adjective "gopping", which I gather means disgusting or horrible, to my vocabulary. It sounds Northern but we didn't use it in Sheffield.

There should be a noun too: for example, we eat granary bread, which has a very low gop count.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you for adding the adjective "gopping", which I gather means disgusting or horrible, to my vocabulary. It sounds Northern but we didn't use it in Sheffield.

There should be a noun too: for example, we eat granary bread, which has a very low gop count.

Gop count :D I like Gop count.

Now we love a full English as much as the next person but we can't eat one everyday.

So this morning we had a toasted wholemeal bagel with scrambled egg and dry cured bacon. 

20180310_085855.jpg

This is one of our current lighter weekend breakfast favourites.

So what are yours?

Do you instagram?

Its usualy full English for me but today it was bacon and mushroom on proper white bread, non of that gopping wholemeal rubbish. The missus has porridge and was hungry an hour later :rolleyes:

Sounds to me a bit like the old adage about Gaffer tape, if you can't fix it with gaffer tape you haven't used enough, well if you can't get full on porridge, you haven't eaten enough. We do a bit of walking and, whilst I'm quite partial to a full fried breakfast, if you are going to be doing any hard work/walking/exercise it isn't particularly good. It takes the body too long to metabolize all that fat, and whilst you are waiting for it to do so you find you are plodding along at a snail's pace. Oats, being a carbohydrate, metabolize a whole lot quicker and you get the energy a lot faster than from a plate of fat.

On the subject of 'gopping' bread, you are I assume fully aware of the chemicals used to make your white bread 'white'? I remember in a previous occupation delivering the Hydrogen peroxide used to make the flour bleach, Benzoyl Peroxide, and the stuff we were delivering was some pretty serious stuff. We had exposed areas of wood on the lorry bed and if you dripped any of this peroxide onto it, it had the same effect as dripping water onto red hot metal :huh:. But then if you are only eating it, it shouldn't do too much harm. At least brown bread/wholemeal bread/granary bread actually tastes of something, unlike white bread where it is quite easy to inadvertently eat the wrapping without noticing :rolleyes:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

Sounds to me a bit like the old adage about Gaffer tape, if you can't fix it with gaffer tape you haven't used enough, well if you can't get full on porridge, you haven't eaten enough. We do a bit of walking and, whilst I'm quite partial to a full fried breakfast, if you are going to be doing any hard work/walking/exercise it isn't particularly good. It takes the body too long to metabolize all that fat, and whilst you are waiting for it to do so you find you are plodding along at a snail's pace. Oats, being a carbohydrate, metabolize a whole lot quicker and you get the energy a lot faster than from a plate of fat.

On the subject of 'gopping' bread, you are I assume fully aware of the chemicals used to make your white bread 'white'? I remember in a previous occupation delivering the Hydrogen peroxide used to make the flour bleach, Benzoyl Peroxide, and the stuff we were delivering was some pretty serious stuff. We had exposed areas of wood on the lorry bed and if you dripped any of this peroxide onto it, it had the same effect as dripping water onto red hot metal :huh:. But then if you are only eating it, it shouldn't do too much harm. At least brown bread/wholemeal bread/granary bread actually tastes of something, unlike white bread where it is quite easy to inadvertently eat the wrapping without noticing :rolleyes:

I make my own white bread without any chemicals unlike the supposed wholemeal bread in a wrapper that i believe you buy from a supermarket? As for the supposed health reasons :rolleyes: my old Dad had a full English most days and always with white bread etc etc he died young because of this terrible habit aged 90. My old Mum only ever buys white bread ( usualy sliced ) she will have nothing other than real full fat milk in her house and always but always has lurpack butter on her bacon sandwich at breakfast time. It will probably kill her though as she has to wait until next year to be 99 so best she starts eating wholemeal and skimmed milk soon if she wants to reach old age. I do on occasion eat three weetabix with a banana but simply get hungry too quickly so I think I will still major on the proper full English with white bread even though its a deadly food ;)

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

I make my own white bread without any chemicals unlike the supposed wholemeal bread in a wrapper that i believe you buy from a supermarket? As for the supposed health reasons :rolleyes: my old Dad had a full English most days and always with white bread etc etc he died young because of this terrible habit aged 90. My old Mum only ever buys white bread ( usualy sliced ) she will have nothing other than real full fat milk in her house and always but always has lurpack butter on her bacon sandwich at breakfast time. It will probably kill her though as she has to wait until next year to be 99 so best she starts eating wholemeal and skimmed milk soon if she wants to reach old age. I do on occasion eat three weetabix with a banana but simply get hungry too quickly so I think I will still major on the proper full English even though its a deadly food ;)

I either make my own or get if from a proper bread shop whenever I can, getting from a supermarket is the option when all else fails, and never in a plastic wrapper.

I didn't make any issue regarding health reasons, what I said is that, unless you are spending your days sat on your backside, a fatty breakfast takes a long while to actually give you the energy to do stuff (like walking or hard physical work). There is energy in it but it takes a long time to release it, which is fine if you aren't doing much for quite a while. When working as a trucker it was 'traditional' to have the fat boys breakfast but then we'd go and drive the wagon for a couple of hours before doing the work of unloading it. If you had to immediately do the work, there would be no energy there.

You eat three weetabix? isn't that a bit like eating the box?? The only thing that gives Weetabix any flavour is what you put on it, I think the Aussie, Bennison Osborne, invented it as a means of disposing of the factory floor sweepings:giggles:

I either make my own or get if from a proper bread shop whenever I can, getting from a supermarket is the option when all else fails, and never in a plastic wrapper.

I didn't make any issue regarding health reasons, what I said is that, unless you are spending your days sat on your backside, a fatty breakfast takes a long while to actually give you the energy to do stuff (like walking or hard physical work). There is energy in it but it takes a long time to release it, which is fine if you aren't doing much for quite a while. When working as a trucker it was 'traditional' to have the fat boys breakfast but then we'd go and drive the wagon for a couple of hours before doing the work of unloading it. If you had to immediately do the work, there would be no energy there.

You eat three weetabix? isn't that a bit like eating the box?? The only thing that gives Weetabix any flavour is what you put on it, I think the Aussie, Bennison Osborne, invented it as a means of disposing of the factory floor sweepings:giggles:

There is a new train of thought that fat is the new carb, as with all food advice, it goes round and round 

There is a new train of thought that fat is the new carb, as with all food advice, it goes round and round 

The general advice stays much the same though to have a healthy, varied and balanced diet. You need some fat, you need some carbs, you need some protein and you need lots of fruit and vegetables.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Happy 1

I make my own white bread without any chemicals unlike the supposed wholemeal bread in a wrapper that i believe you buy from a supermarket? 

As I understand it many of the chemicals are used to make the flour white, so baking your own bread with white flour only avoids the chemicals used in the Chorelywood process, not those mentioned above which are used to make the flour white.

Age with regard to diet/lifestyle isn't really a good guide as to things e.g. some smokers die fo lung cancer very young others live into their 90s.  The same is probably true of food related illnesses.