Breakfast

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Now we love a full English as much as the next person but we can't eat one everyday.

So this morning we had a toasted wholemeal bagel with scrambled egg and dry cured bacon. 

20180310_085855.jpg

This is one of our current lighter weekend breakfast favourites.

So what are yours?

That would be improved by a sprinkling of West Indian hot pepper sauce, e.g. Dunn's River. It looks tempting, but I've given up fried breakfasts for Lent.

When I do allow myself a cookie brekkie (not as often as I used to, I had one every day for donkey's years but now it's perhaps once a fortnight), I enjoy a bacon and sliced mushrooms sandwich with - yes, you've guessed - a sprinkling of hot pepper sauce.

We have porridge often but,as you say, are hungry mid morning. 

I love cooked breakfast, especially in a greasy spoon/transport cafe. 

Bacon. Always try to buy thick cut. 'Normal' is far too thin. Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We have porridge often but,as you say, are hungry mid morning. 

I love cooked breakfast, especially in a greasy spoon/transport cafe. 

Bacon. Always try to buy thick cut. 'Normal' is far too thin. Just my thoughts.

Our bacon comes from a farm just at the back of our house. Free range home reared and dry cured. Can't beat it. Pigs are a bit small so you don't get as much as a commercially farmed one but the flavour is so deep. 

We can get it cut to whatever thickness we like. 1 and 1/4 whatever that works out at on the machine is what we prefer it at.

I am on a diet, will just have one bun, not a bagel as they are very calorific!

My porridge will keep me going for four hours, I start with a cup of organic oats, cook  and then add everything else, granola, honey, fruit, full fat milk, enough to fill the bowl.

Edited by LadyG

We love a cooked breakfast at the weekend too, today it was grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, vegan sausages, baked beans and fried bread, washed down with proper coffee. Tomorrow it's maple pancakes - yum :D

40 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

We love a cooked breakfast at the weekend too, today it was grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, vegan sausages, baked beans and fried bread, washed down with proper coffee. Tomorrow it's maple pancakes - yum :D

VEGAN sausage :banghead: Please tell me why weird diets have to have " Pretend " meat dishes in them such as " Veggie sausage " " Veggie burgers " etc etc? Those of us who eat a healthy balanced diet as taught for  years dont have any pretend stuff......just wonderin like :)

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

VEGAN sausage :banghead: Please tell me why weird diets have to have " Pretend " meat dishes in them such as " Veggie sausage " " Veggie burgers " etc etc? Those of us who eat a healthy balanced diet as taught for  years dont have any pretend stuff......just wonderin like :)

SPAM alert ........... pretend something IMHO

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Knew that would push the buttons.... They are just nice! But on a more serious note as you asked, some people who wish to be vegetarian or vegan for a variety of reasons find the transition hard. So some products that are similar to their meat counterparts fill a gap. On a personal level I eat very few meat pretend products as I don't feel the need to, my diet is healthy with plenty of home cooked meals and organic stuff when I can afford it. 

Since Nigella taught me how to poach properly, IT's "Eggs Ellis" for us.... basically 2 poached eggs on whatever bread (toasted)is left with a splash of hollandaise (out of a packet) and a bit of grated cheese on top - perhaps with a splash of ketchup on if I've not forgotten it before I've sat down.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Then where do you eat it?

I apologise for my sloppy use of English. 

Correction:

We, the inhabitants of  Duer Towers, do not eat breakfast. 

We try to adhere to the idea of not eating before noon.

As today is Mother's Day I have succumbed to a piece of multi-seeded toast spread with salted Welsh butter and a scraping of locally produced (next door but one) honey. Courtesy of Daughter Dyer  

Edited by Dyertribe

Just now, Dyertribe said:

I apologise for my sloppy use of English. 

Corrction:

We, the inhabitants of  Duer Towers, do not eat breakfast. 

We try to adhere to the idea of not eating before noon.

As today is Mother's Day I have succumbed to a piece of multi-seeded toast spread with salted Welsh butter and a scraping of locally produced (next door but one) honey. Courtesy of Daughter Dyer  

7/10 for spelling and punctuation:)