River level Sawley

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Yes I check em here on a regular basis. Its dropped a miniscule amount yesterday afternoon but its peeing it down with rain again <_< Trouble here is we have the Trent and the Derwent outside the same flippin lock covering a huge area of drainage. :mellow:

Just wait until the Derwent starts to cheat and comes across Crockers Farm marina and straight across the canal, completely bypassing the lock!! Thats why the flood gates are where they are.

Just wait until the Derwent starts to cheat and comes across Crockers Farm marina and straight across the canal, completely bypassing the lock!! Thats why the flood gates are where they are.

Yes I have seen it straight across here. It was over a foot deep in sawley cut when we moored in the marina and I had to wade waist deep to our boat int marina. A helicopter had to airlift a seriously ill lady out the marina hence the new entrance been built. Its nowhere near as bad as it does get but still crap innitt :( specialy for peak cruising time.

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I have seen it straight across here. It was over a foot deep in sawley cut when we moored in the marina and I had to wade waist deep to our boat int marina. A helicopter had to airlift a seriously ill lady out the marina hence the new entrance been built. Its nowhere near as bad as it does get but still crap innitt :( specialy for peak cruising time.

That was the week I spent in Sileby lock.

Just now, matty40s said:

That was the week I spent in Sileby lock.

Yeah I remember now you did :D thats worse than mooring on a bloomin lock landing :giggles: . bye the way I sent u a pm.

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Flood gates have gone on at Torksey this afternoon.

Not a moment too soon.

Each tide is bumping up the level in the river . It's neaps just now.

12 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

A few weeks before summer starts ;)

In years to come Mr Smelly will be telling tales about the terrible summer of 2018. How he was trapped for weeks on end by ice, snow, high winds and floods! :giggles:

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Derwent at Church Wilne has just gone flood warned.....;)

Its gone up again over night here. Still it could be worse I could be going to WORK :o lovely day today though so its not all bad. :D

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

In years to come Mr Smelly will be telling tales about the terrible summer of 2018. How he was trapped for weeks on end by ice, snow, high winds and floods! :giggles:

:P

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Flood gates were put on at Newark today.

For the first time in a long time the flood gates have been put on at Burton Waters.

Yeah its a bloomin wet summer innitt :)

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Luvly and sunny down here in Cardiff this afternoon.

Same here. Been for a walk without the coat on. My signature is correct :D Theres a fair bit of water in the river though :(

59 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Same here. Been for a walk without the coat on. My signature is correct :D Theres a fair bit of water in the river though :(

I have some good news and some bad news:

- Good news. It's not going to rain Saturday/Sunday:) Hooray!

- Bad news. It will be snow.:( Booo!

Seriously, watch out for river levels for the weekend onwards. No baarby this sunday. It's going to be brass monkeys all day Sunday (like not above freezing!!!). Good old Darren Betts on the Beeb was saying it was just a brief dip in temps for the weekend but some models show it slow to recover next week. Some are forecasting lots of snow for Sunday as well, which if it melts due to a rapid thaw and strong sun is going to increase the river levels from Tuesday onwards. I think our plan to head off down the South Oxford on the weekend may get a tad delayed ( I assume all the locks will be working?)

7 minutes ago, philjw said:

I had email from CRT saying that Nell Bridge is impassable with 1.5m headroom so I think you are right.

It might be a good idea if I check the CRT site before setting off....DUH!  How far down is Nell's bridge? Apologies, not been down that far yet.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

How far down is Nell's bridge?

Near Aynho,at Nell Bridge lock (32) so quite a good way down. Its one of the places which is affected by the Cherwell. It comes across the cut in the pound below Nell Bridge and above Aynho Weir lock so raises the level when there is a lot of fresh in the Cherwell so boats can't exit the lock.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, philjw said:

Near Aynho,at Nell Bridge lock (32) so quite a good way down. Its one of the places which is affected by the Cherwell. It comes across the cut in the pound below Nell Bridge and above Aynho Weir lock so raises the level when there is a lot of fresh in the Cherwell so boats can't exit the lock.

27 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Nells bridge is south of Banbury so you have a way from the start of the South Oxford. 

Thanks both. It will take us at least a week to get there so I will keep an eye out. Ta.