River level Sawley

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps

Anyone in the cut at Sawley or near the lock at Shardlow? We are upstream of Shardlow wanting to go through to sawley but I dont want to drop into shardlow unless I can get through cos its much nicer up in the wilds as it were so has anyone been on the stretch between sawley and shardlow very recently? I have checked ea sites etc but they are not ever as accurate as Proper peeps :D I would fone CART but they probably dont even know there is a river at that location :giggles: Thanks.

In case anyone else wants to know as it is now peak boating season. Lights are both on red at Shardlow and Derwent mouth lock is well into red. It is deffo passable at this level and have done it many times HOWEVER as I get older and more boring I will remain at the pub mooring to drink beer and watch rugby a little later as if owt went wrong after I have passed the large letters saying DO NOT PROCEED would my insurers pay out especialy to someone with my experience? I dont think so. Not my fault the pubs open :D

• Happy 1

The problem we have now is which pub to go to!! We will be having beeer of course but some food also and all the pubs in Shardlow seem to price it at give away prices :D its going to be a hard choice!!

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

The problem we have now is which pub to go to!! We will be having beeer of course but some food also and all the pubs in Shardlow seem to price it at give away prices :D its going to be a hard choice!!

CLOCK WAREHOUSE, Shardlow (July 30) 4+3+6=13 Large,corporate (Marston's) pub but comfortable, good service and not expensive.

NAVIGATION, Shardlow (Aug 7) 4+4+6=14 Light, airy and plain. Odd collection of furniture, including piano. Pleasant service, but rather expensive, so went to:

MALT SHOVEL, Shardlow (Aug 7) 2+4+8=14 Quiet side room with inlaid game tables (chess, Scrabble, Monopoly, backgammon, ludo, Clue). Much better value.

BRUNSWICK, Derby (Aug 8) 5+5+9=19 By bus from Shardlow to the door, 24/7! Superb brewpub, 16 beers, most brewed on the premises. Several rooms, with red leather benches like the House of Lords. No music, just quiet happy conversation (I think - not all was in English).

(Didn't go to the New Inn last year, as disappointed previously.)

Edited to add: OLD CROWN, Cavendish Bridge (July 29) 5+4+8= 15 Just beyond the Trent upper navigation limit. Full of interest but hard to find. Railway memorabilia and hundreds of hanging jugs. Real choice - 2 kinds of plain crisps!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

14 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

CLOCK WAREHOUSE, Shardlow (July 30) 4+3+6=13 Large,corporate (Marston's) pub but comfortable, good service and not expensive.

NAVIGATION, Shardlow (Aug 7) 4+4+6=14 Light, airy and plain. Odd collection of furniture, including piano. Pleasant service, but rather expensive, so went to:

MALT SHOVEL, Shardlow (Aug 7) 2+4+8=14 Quiet side room with inlaid game tables (chess, Scrabble, Monopoly, backgammon, ludo, Clue). Much better value.

BRUNSWICK, Derby (Aug 8) 5+5+9=19 By bus from Shardlow to the door, 24/7! Superb brewpub, 16 beers, most brewed on the premises. Several rooms, with red leather benches like the House of Lords. No music, just quiet happy conversation (I think - not all was in English).

(Didn't go to the New Inn last year, as disappointed previously.)

Edited to add: OLD CROWN, Cavendish Bridge (July 29) 5+4+8= 15 Just beyond the Trent upper navigation limit. Full of interest but hard to find. Railway memorabilia and hundreds of hanging jugs. Real choice - 2 kinds of plain crisps!

Yep thats the place. we are on our fave mooring if we ever stop on visitor moorings bang outside the front doors of the Shovel and The New Inn. hard to get in summer but enough room for us today. Popping over to the Shovel in a minute then probably New inn. We would be going to The Crown for sunday lunch tomorrow cos they always did a nice on but swmbo tells me its Mothers day tomorrow so no way are we going near any pubs whatsoever!! :cheers:

Up to date river levels can be checked here

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels

Yes I check em here on a regular basis. Its dropped a miniscule amount yesterday afternoon but its peeing it down with rain again <_< Trouble here is we have the Trent and the Derwent outside the same flippin lock covering a huge area of drainage. :mellow:

Yes I check em here on a regular basis. Its dropped a miniscule amount yesterday afternoon but its peeing it down with rain again <_< Trouble here is we have the Trent and the Derwent outside the same flippin lock covering a huge area of drainage. :mellow:

It's just making sure we have plenty of water in the river for our trip to West Stockwith in a couple of weeks ;)