Three men in a boat

1st ade

Featured Posts

Mrs 1st Ade was walking the Staffie along the Grand Union through New Bradwell yesterday. She came across a small inflatable boat with three men on board. They were wearing dry-suits but no life jackets; neither boat nor men had any form of name or identity displayed (CRT lifejackets and overalls tend to have their logo on)

The boat seemed to be full of batteries with two electrodes dangling in the water. Around the boat, fish, apparently stunned, were on the surface and being "scooped" into keep nets.

Mrs 1st Ade (politely) asked their business and one responded that they were doing a fish survey! She asked who they worked for and was given a name (which she now can't remember but wasn't CRT, British Waterways etc) and contact number (ditto). They were polite enough but it sounded a bit, well, fishy...

I asked if she got a photo of them and got a lecture on having her hands full of over excited Staffie and in any case it was raining!

Thoughts?

Probably the local angling club who stock the fish in the first place and therefore are the interested party, but strange things happen nowadays where some folk don't have the same ideas with regard to eating fish in canals. Worth a call to CRT if there's any suspicion of foul play as I'd have thought they'd have been informed of such works.

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Thoughts?

I always found Cadbury's chocolate buttons were very good to calm down an over excited Staffie. It doesnt do too good to get the over excited. We used to have a springer spaniel that went 'Bong' (like zeberdee) when over excited.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I always found Cadbury's chocolate buttons were very good to calm down an over excited Staffie.

I'd 'calm down' too if I'd just been poisoned. 

3 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

Likely to be CRT contractors electro fishing to remove Zander.

Full marks (and a Greenie) to GRLMK38.

Local fishing tackle shop said exactly the same. Also said it was a regular occurrence - now slightly puzzled that we've lived near the canal for over twenty years (six of them dog walking on the towpath) and never seen it before. Shows how much we run (or walk) on autopilot i suppose.

12 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Full marks (and a Greenie) to GRLMK38.

Local fishing tackle shop said exactly the same. Also said it was a regular occurrence - now slightly puzzled that we've lived near the canal for over twenty years (six of them dog walking on the towpath) and never seen it before. Shows how much we run (or walk) on autopilot i suppose.

Well thank you Sir

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

I bet it would take a few bucket loads of Cadburys 'Chocolate' Buttons to give a dog chocolate poisoning. 

5% of body weight is a lethal dose of milk chocolate according to this source.

http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

18 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

I bet it would take a few bucket loads of Cadburys 'Chocolate' Buttons to give a dog chocolate poisoning. 

It's not chocolate poisoning but being poisoned by an ingredient of "human chocolate which is omitted in dog chocolate. Vets waiting rooms are covered in warning posters about things to avoid feeding your pet, onions, dried fruit, chocolate to name just a few   

Phil 

It's not chocolate poisoning but being poisoned by an ingredient of "human chocolate which is omitted in dog chocolate. Vets waiting rooms are covered in warning posters about things to avoid feeding your pet, onions, dried fruit, chocolate to name just a few   

Phil 

The skin off the turkey (after cooking before anyone starts...) was one which surprised us.