Cutting it Fine

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have to run it down again now for trailing it to Lechlade. 

Couldn't miss the chance while it was so empty to see what was left in the tank though :)

Did you check for tank damage while it was empty?  I heard recently that Sealine boats with incorrectly installed heater fuel pickups developed a bad habit of corroding the bottom off the diesel tanks, and dumping the fuel into the bilge.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Did you check for tank damage while it was empty?  I heard recently that Sealine boats with incorrectly installed heater fuel pickups developed a bad habit of corroding the bottom off the diesel tanks, and dumping the fuel into the bilge.

Sealine went through a phase of fitting aluminium tanks which did have a habit of corroding. Several in our marina have suffered and spilt their contents into the bilges and then the bilge pumps have obliged and pumped it into the basins.

Ours is stainless steel. 

But no we didn't check it  because access is a right PITA. 

Not sure it's caused by incorrectly installed heater pick up pipes though :D

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sealine went through a phase of fitting aluminium tanks which did have a habit of corroding. Several in our marina have suffered and spilt their contents into the bilges and then the bilge pumps have obliged and pumped it into the basins.

Ours is stainless steel. 

But no we didn't check it  because access is a right PITA. 

Not sure it's caused by incorrectly installed heater pick up pipes though :D

The insurance surveyor that told me thinks it is, and he has been out to assess a few of them.

Aluminium tank, non-insulated steel pickup tube from the diesel heater, water in the bottom of the tank.

What you end up with is severe galvanic corrosion close to the pickup tube, because you essentially have turned your diesel tank into a battery.

Correctly installed pickups don't do this, and it wouldn't apply to a stainless steel tank.

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Mike. I would definitely mention it to him. He filled us up at Kintbury yesterday heading your way. We took 73 litres. Surprised me as I didn't think we had used do much, which I mentioned to him. The guage was zero at the start, I checked. 

But as you know how much you hold and a guesstimate was half full/empty you have a reference. He seems an okay chap, always chatty. But as you say doesn't look like he'll be a millionaire anytime soon. If I were he, which I'm not, I would tidy up all the cr*p and rubbish he has scattered all around the boat. It may all have a use but unlikely.

Trust you are well. Bloody bell ringers were at it on Thursday here in Kintbury. 

I will mention it to him, if only to make sure he knows not to thrash it too hard if overcharging me! 

I was one of those ringers at Kintbury Thursday night. Practice night, and several of us bloomin' need it!

And I'm fine thanks. Hope you are too.

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I will mention it to him, if only to make sure he knows not to thrash it too hard if overcharging me! 

I was one of those ringers at Kintbury Thursday night. Practice night, and several of us bloomin' need it!

And I'm fine thanks. Hope you are too.

I thought you may well have been,hence I mentioned it. It was okay at times. Had to turn the telly up.

We are good. Sadly one of Margaret's brothers has been admitted into a hospice in Llanelli, so she is flitting back and forth on the train. Sad times. Otherwise we are good. Can't wait to get off the K&A there's only so much plank walking one can do. We need to get on our travels again.