Cutting it Fine

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Last year I put 200.6 litres into the tank.  The capacity is supposed to be 200 litres.

Having been distracted by my father in law chatting to me as I drove him down from Yorkshire I drove straight past both of the motorway services that I was intending to fill up at. I was watching the ‘range’ display on my dashboard as I practiced economy driving and as I pulled up to the pump at the garage just around the corner from my house it clicked to “0 miles”. I put 71 litres into the 70 litre tank. 

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

Last year I put 200.6 litres into the tank.  The capacity is supposed to be 200 litres.

I have a 90 litre tank. I know this from when I ran out of diesel a few years back and the total refill was exactly 90 litres to the brim.

Recently the fuel boat here topped my half empty tank up while I was at work and billed me for 97 litres.... hmmmm.

My dad kept more petrol in his lighter than in his car. My mums old friend Emily had visited us for the evening. My dad came in from his NUR branch meeting. Mum asked dad to run Emmy home, about ten miles. We all went for the ride. Dropped Emmy off at about 11pm and then ran out of petrol about 8 miles from home. No petrol stations open in that district after about 8p in those days. Apart from my dad who had his demob suit and tie on, we were all ready for bed. Mum in her dressing gown and curlers in and slippers, sister likewise. Me in pajamas and slippers. We caught a late night bus for part of the journey and then a three mile walk along a high st and residential district. We sprinted past Goodmayes mental hospital. Dad disowned us all the way, even sat alone on the bus, and then marched ahead ignoring us. When we got home he didn't half cop it off mum. Dad put petrol in the car, a 1939 Standard flying 10 next day after work and got it home.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 3

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have a 90 litre tank. I know this from when I ran out of diesel a few years back and the total refill was exactly 90 litres to the brim.

Recently the fuel boat here topped my half empty tank up while I was at work and billed me for 97 litres.... hmmmm.

Our tank holds 225 litres and there will be probably 5 or so litres in the pipework from the filler to the tank .

So we will see just how empty it is shortly when we go to fill it up!

The Diesel heater is still working.

And if all else fails the wind is blowing in the right direction to get us to the fuel berth :D

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hope you told him?

What was his excuse.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They have to make a profit you know!!

8 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Hope you told him?

What was his excuse.

Not yet. I'll catch him on his way past in the other direction. 

Thing is, he doesn't appear to make much of a living being the fuel boat and if he packs it in, it will be a right PITA as there is nowhere around here to buy diesel. So part of me wants to let it pass. 

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our tank holds 225 litres and there will be probably 5 or so litres in the pipework from the filler to the tank .

So we will see just how empty it is shortly when we go to fill it up!

The Diesel heater is still working.

And if all else fails the wind is blowing in the right direction to get us to the fuel berth :D

That's interesting the heater pick up pipe should be a few inches from the bottom so it  can't run you dry.

Neil

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Is it worth the hassle for 7 litres?

He was only half empty so more like 50 litres.

Neil.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

a few years back and the total refill was exactly 90 litres to the brim.

Recently the fuel boat here topped my half empty tank up while I was at work and billed me for 97 litres

Mtb, your alarming lack of good luck finding equipment that works or measures accurately is still running. We can now add fuel pumps to Smart gauge, batteries, Eco fan etc etc. Hope this run of luck changes soon, (all in good fun, you know).

• Haha 1

I once managed to fit more than 200 litres in a customer's tank which he said was 200 litres capacity.  He was quietly questioning my pump's accuracy.

A few days later on the way back he flagged me down to say he had a bilge full of diesel and a previously unknown hole in the top of his tank! :)

George

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

His long would that last at full chat? Not in the marina that is :P

If we could get all of it out which is unlikely about an hour.

On the Fossdyke here we would have been fine pottering around for a week!

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not yet. I'll catch him on his way past in the other direction. 

Thing is, he doesn't appear to make much of a living being the fuel boat and if he packs it in, it will be a right PITA as there is nowhere around here to buy diesel. So part of me wants to let it pass. 

Mike. I would definitely mention it to him. He filled us up at Kintbury yesterday heading your way. We took 73 litres. Surprised me as I didn't think we had used do much, which I mentioned to him. The guage was zero at the start, I checked. 

But as you know how much you hold and a guesstimate was half full/empty you have a reference. He seems an okay chap, always chatty. But as you say doesn't look like he'll be a millionaire anytime soon. If I were he, which I'm not, I would tidy up all the cr*p and rubbish he has scattered all around the boat. It may all have a use but unlikely.

Trust you are well. Bloody bell ringers were at it on Thursday here in Kintbury. 

2 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

Ive got a gauge like that, but at least its not the other way round.

Neil

We have never let it run down like that so we didn't know how accurate, or not it actually was.

Worst we have previously seen it was half way down the red but that was a good ten miles off Lowestoft our intended destination so that was a bit more concerning!

We had about 50 litres left in the tank at that. But when that is sloshing and banging around we don't know how much of that it can pick up. 

1 minute ago, Neil Smith said:

Ive got a gauge like that, but at least its not the other way round.

Neil

I let my NB tank get to virtually empty, and then added 40 litres (about 25 hours engine running), then calibrated the fuel gauge to show that level as empty - "never go below this mark"

Added another 20 litres and marked the gauge

Added another 20 litres and marked the gauge

Added another ................

Could always tell how much longer I could go before fuelling up. Work on 10 hours between marks and you are always overestimating consumption.

Fuel gauge is fairly accurate and hi-tech being a length of 3/4" diameter dowel.