Getting hit by turning boats

blackrose

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I reckon the best idea would be to make up a load of imitation floating mines, like Rusty put in post 2!

Somehow with the focus on H&S and the way some people take things too seriously I can see that ending badly. 

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Can't work out what length you're paying for though?

My guess would be that those prices are per metre but I suppose a phone call would quickly sort it in the morning.  Pretty expensive if it is per metre  

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

You can buy 5 x 10cm dia floats for about 7 quid on eBay. I'd guess I'd need about 20 floats spaced about a foot apart. I've got plenty of cheap rope onboard. 

Perfect! Stick knitting eight needles through each of them and string them out around your bote. Job done.

Even that nice Mr Putin will steer well clear...

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe a notice like this

DSCF0373small.jpg

Sadly the type of boater cavalier enough to crash into a static boat, probably won't take a blind bit of notice of a sign.

You could anchor some of those plastic rockery stones alongside to give the impression of a reef.

I think I might buy a few of these in red and yellow, cut them into 6" lengths and thread a thin rope through them in alternate colours. Then I could just hang them off a pole about 5ft away from the side of my boat.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollow-Swimming-HARRYSTORE-Rehabilitation-Children/dp/B0764B34WL/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1520679452&sr=1-2&keywords=hollow+swimming+noodles+for+adults

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I think I might buy a few of these in red and yellow, cut them into 6" lengths and thread a thin rope through them in alternate colours. Then I could just hang them off a pole about 5ft away from the side of my boat.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollow-Swimming-HARRYSTORE-Rehabilitation-Children/dp/B0764B34WL/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1520679452&sr=1-2&keywords=hollow+swimming+noodles+for+adults

You'll have canoeists using them as slalom poles.

If it makes for a convenient winding-hole despite your boat being within close proximity, I think some people will take advantage of that.

I suppose it helps in that you have portholes but if I were in your situation I'd probably do what you have done with the bow fenders, but run them the entire length of the boat. I've seen this achieved well with rope though I would only recommend that if you're on wide canals/rivers without width constraints. 

It looks like you're moored against pilings, so it may be better to have a couple suitable fenders or a dock fender to cushion the boat port side.

On 09/03/2018 at 22:01, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or better, a sign saying "WARNING, UNDERWATER OBSTRUCTION"

There's a boat moored on a private EOG mooring on the north Oxford with just such a sign. I always pass and think 'liar', but I still take plenty of care in case he is right!

the sign is accurate, before the boat was moored there I hit something fairly substantial in that spot (now underneath the floating mooring), sounded like concrete or brick. I suspect that an old wall collapsed into the canal

There is a boat moored above the first lock downstream of Guildford. It is moored in front of the lock exit in a place where it is difficult to avoid hitting it. The solution; a massive white fender, really massive, the size of a canoe. 

5aaf87adccf89_ScreenShot2018-03-19at09_48_51.jpg.8e12beb2c443dfe78508291bc6c25935.jpg

8 minutes ago, WJM said:

There is a boat moored above the first lock downstream of Guildford. It is moored in front of the lock exit in a place where it is difficult to avoid hitting it. The solution; a massive white fender, really massive, the size of a canoe. 

5aaf87adccf89_ScreenShot2018-03-19at09_48_51.jpg.8e12beb2c443dfe78508291bc6c25935.jpg

Its a row of large blue barrels and is very good at protecting the gents boat. They are attached to a length of rope.

1 minute ago, barry adams said:

Its a row of large blue barrels and is very good at protecting the gents boat. They are attached to a length of rope.

It is a few years since I was there. It was once a continuous white thing - maybe the barrels were wrapped in a tarpaulin. It was visually effective, as you emerged from the lock it immediately alerted you that there must be potential for a collision.

• 1 month later...

This is what I did in the end. The floats are only about 3ft out from the side of the boat but I can't get them further out unless I position my pole on the boat rather than the bank and I don't really want to restrict people's turning space too much.  I think i probably needed a longer length of floats running down the side of the boat, but we'll see how it works for the time being. 

IMG_20180501_191131.jpg

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

This is what I did in the end. The floats are only about 3ft out from the side of the boat but I can't get them further out unless I position my pole on the boat rather than the bank and I don't really want to restrict people's turning space too much.  I think i probably needed a longer length of floats running down the side of the boat, but we'll see how it works for the time being. 

IMG_20180501_191131.jpg

Great idea, next time I go swimming I'll smuggle some out in my swimming shorts. 

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

IMG_20180501_191131.jpg

I always thought Jelly-Beans must have some use - you have found it.

They don't look any bigger than your pipe-fenders.

Personally I think they are a 'lot small', by the time a bow at the water line has squashed those against your hull the top of the bow would be thru' your sides.

There is always the possibility of alternative consequences - a boater may think - "that boats protected, I can run up until I hit him then use him to pivot on in the turn"