Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
blackrose

Getting hit by turning boats

Featured Posts

I've been allocated a new mooring across from my previous one. It's a nice spot but the guy who used to moor here told me he was hit by turning boats a few times and he was only here for a year. Apparently the boat that was here before him had a window taken out! 

So what's the best way to prevent being hit by turning boats and protecting mine? Would hanging tyres down the side be a good idea, or would that just encourage boats to bounce off me? 

This is on a river so it isn't a dedicated turning point like you get on canals, but it is used as such. There's plenty of room to turn but you know how some people can't handle their boats - it's either full revs ahead or full astern... 

 

IMG_20180309_160021.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter how many fenders you have down or where you place them someone will always hit you where there isn't one.

That's why we always opt for a no fender policy on the side away from the bank. We find that makes people think more about what they are doing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes, you're probably right

Scaffold boards with fenders behind may work, but still not guaranteed.

We used to get hit lots when we moored near a lock for two years.Its very annoying.

How about asking the mooring operators to stick up a few no turning notices on the corner.

Edited by rusty69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Scaffold boards with fenders behind may work, but still not guaranteed.

We used to get hit lots when we moored near a lock for two years.Its very annoying.

How about asking the mooring operators to stick up a few no turning notices on the corner.

I'm not sure that would be legal? You can't force someone to go through the next lock surely? Riperian rights may give the landowners rights to the river bed, but I don't know if they can prohibit people manoeuvring as they wish on the water? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm not sure that would be legal? You can't force someone to go through the next lock surely? Riperian rights may give the landowners rights to the river bed, but I don't know if they can prohibit people manoeuvring as they wish on the water? 

You didn’t mention that it’s just before a lock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You didn’t mention that it’s just before a lock. 

I didn't think I needed to. The lock isn't relevant to my point about not being able to prohibit boats from turning. That's the same whether there's a nearby lock or not. 

The lock is about 200 yards away, but the point is that it's the only place for larger boats to turn on this stretch, lock or no lock. 

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Why were you allocated a new space? 

Couldn't you have stayed put? 

No, i wasn't given a choice. Mooring regs mean we can be moved if they wish. I think that's the same in most mooring regs if you read the small print. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the new spot, but just thinking about the potential disadvantages. 

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Don't get me wrong, I like the new spot, but just thinking about the potential disadvantages. 

Looks like a great spot. Final suggestion ,stick a shallow water warning on the front of your boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

No, i wasn't given a choice. Mooring regs mean we can be moved if they wish

I guess to turn you’d put the front of a boat in where the swan is? And therefore it’s the stern of a boat winding that will hit you. ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking of sticking up a notice saying "If you're turning, show some skill and don't hit my boat please!" 

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I guess to turn you’d put the front of a boat in where the swan is? And therefore it’s the stern of a boat winding that will hit you. ?

 

Depends on the steerer I guess. That's certainly the way I'd do it, but I've seen them turning both ways. 

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I was thinking of sticking up a notice saying "If you're turning, show some skill and don't hit my boat please!" 

Depends on the steerer I guess. That's certainly the way I'd do it, but I've seen them turning both ways. 

Shame you can’t paint some of those hovering speed bumps on the water surface. 

I think I’d hang some very brightly coloured fenders off the boat or surround my boat with these

9BE8B554-3C7A-4836-AF08-87164092AB0D.jpeg

Edited by Goliath
W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd float an old cheap canoe on a single line off the side. I've noticed that people take a lot of effort to avoid floating things that they can't predict the movement of.  It will irritate people but if the need is there...

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the canoe idea and can see the point

A "string" of old car wheels with inflated tyres floating and strung together alongside does work to a degree and is reasonably cheap to source from a scrap yard

Looks like a great spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm... Floating something alongside might be an idea. It would mean the steerer of the turning boat would have to take that into account when approaching. An old brightly coloured canoe sounds perfect. Easy to remove when i want to take my boat out too. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Looks like a great spot. Final suggestion ,stick a shallow water warning on the front of your boat.

 

Or better, a sign saying "WARNING, UNDERWATER OBSTRUCTION"

There's a boat moored on a private EOG mooring on the north Oxford with just such a sign. I always pass and think 'liar', but I still take plenty of care in case he is right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Or better, a sign saying "WARNING, UNDERWATER OBSTRUCTION"

There's a boat moored on a private EOG mooring on the north Oxford with just such a sign. I always pass and think 'liar', but I still take plenty of care in case he is right!

I know that person and there is actually a genuine obstruction there.

 

I suggest the OP Prints off one of these and sticks to the inside of his window with the curtain draped around him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I know that person and there is actually a genuine obstruction there.

 

He has you fooled too then!

I reckon the main obstruction there is his boat, moored against those gigantic floating plastic pontoon things ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the canoe idea is a good one, or may be have a few car wheels floating alongside, they would act as fenders and you could put something on them like a traffic cone to make them visible! .. May look a bit messy though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd need a couple of old canoes. I think 20ft of this stuff might be the way to go. Can't work out what length you're paying for though? Maybe I can find some cheap second hand stuff on ebay. 

https://www.sport-thieme.co.uk/Swimming/Swimming_pool_accessories/Swimming_Lanes/art=2497408?pe=w9_o9_googleUK_gshopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA_ojVBRAlEiwAOLRxI48sDBMMLcs5MhTIEvoXQHdzDVo3zFktj754TVxidLqvXTyBYY6mCBoC5NYQAvD_BwE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.