Cycling

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

Never heard of road accidents caused by pedestrians?

Strangely those accidents don't seem to cause much damage to innocent 3rd parties, drivers being well protected by air bags and seat belts.  But since you raise it the principle with vehicles seems to be that you insure because of the risk of you damaging others people and property.  I have also not come across many (in fact can't think of any) where the pedestrian was held to be more at fault than the driver of the car.

I have also not come across any cases of a pedestrian running over, and killing another pedestrian by doing so.

3 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

Tell that to all the cyclists who have been knocked off their bikes by pedestrians stepping out in front of them without looking.

There are those who would say that like driving the cyclist should be progressing in a way that means they can stop, like if you run into the back of a vehicle because you are too close/going too fast etc they don't blame the car for stopping in front of the car.

Having broken my wrist as a lad stopping to avoid an errant pedestrian it never crossed my mind (or for that matter my parents minds) that it was anybody's fault other than my own for not riding in a way which allowed me to deal with the unexpected.  Incidentally for the record I didn't touch the pedestrian nor did my bike.

I get the feeling that the purpose of the discussion regarding cycling insurance is merely to deter people from cycling (possibly in the mistaken belief that people will then get to their destinations quicker in their cars). It would be an effective way way of stopping a whole generation from cycling since I cannot see any means by which an insurance company is going to offer insurance on a child under the age of criminal responsibility (10 years). You have an agreement with an insurance company when you take out your policy, how is a child under 10 (possibly even under 16 as I'm not sure what age you can enter into an agreement) going to become insured. Their parents can insure the child's life or the cycle itself but they cannot get insurance on the child's behaviour, that has to be an agreement by the child. So if you can stop children cycling the thinking is clearly that we can eventually get rid of cyclists altogether.

If we are talking about risk, should an 8 year old ride his cycle into an 80 year old pensioner there is the possibility of a fatality, but then since pedestrian deaths by cyclists are rare, it is probably an infinitesmal risk, but it is still a risk.

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I get the feeling that the purpose of the discussion regarding cycling insurance is merely to deter people from cycling (possibly in the mistaken belief that people will then get to their destinations quicker in their cars). It would be an effective way way of stopping a whole generation from cycling since I cannot see any means by which an insurance company is going to offer insurance on a child under the age of criminal responsibility (10 years). You have an agreement with an insurance company when you take out your policy, how is a child under 10 (possibly even under 16 as I'm not sure what age you can enter into an agreement) going to become insured. Their parents can insure the child's life or the cycle itself but they cannot get insurance on the child's behaviour, that has to be an agreement by the child. So if you can stop children cycling the thinking is clearly that we can eventually get rid of cyclists altogether.

If we are talking about risk, should an 8 year old ride his cycle into an 80 year old pensioner there is the possibility of a fatality, but then since pedestrian deaths by cyclists are rare, it is probably an infinitesmal risk, but it is still a risk.

I don't see them as insurmountable problems, I am sure that there is a way for parents to insure (3rd party) for any damage their under age child might do.  The insurance companies are adept at assessing risk and pitching tariff accordingly.   Add to that the fact that the damage an say 8 year old is going to cause will be much less than that caused by a 15 stone adult at 40 kph (25 mph for the un-metricated).

You say they can't get insurance on the child's behaviour.  Do you know this for a fact?  I insure our cars for my wife and brother to drive I am in effect insuring for their behaviour.

It would appear it is possible to insure for what a child does particularly negligence.  I have just found this by googling.

Lastly, though a young child would not have the means to pay compensation claim, we must remember that most children live with their parents in a home which has building and contents insurance. Building and contents insurance will normally cover the cost of paying compensation for any acts of negligence by a household member, including children.

I am, not suggesting this would or should cover cycling but it shows it is possible too insure what a child does.

23 minutes ago, Jerra said:

There are those who would say that like driving the cyclist should be progressing in a way that means they can stop, like if you run into the back of a vehicle because you are too close/going too fast etc they don't blame the car for stopping in front of the car.

I don't think a driver would be to blame if a pedestrian stepped into the road without looking though.

10 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

I don't think a driver would be to blame if a pedestrian stepped into the road without looking though.

Perhaps not totally but here is a quote from a solicitors web site:

Would it surprise you to know that in 2015 a driver was found 50% to blame when a pedestrian entered a road from behind a stopped bus and into the path of his oncoming car which was travelling 10mph bellow the speed limit?

EDIT: to add you would expect them to be able to spell wouldn't you.

Edited by Jerra

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Would it surprise you to know that in 2015 a driver was found 50% to blame when a pedestrian entered a road from behind a stopped bus and into the path of his oncoming car which was travelling 10mph bellow the speed limit?

To be honest - no. Overtaking stationary buses is one situation when drivers (and cyclists, of course) need to be ultra-alert.

• Greenie 1

On 15/03/2018 at 12:43, Jerra said:

I am not sure about the tax side of it, but a quick google shows me I can get £2,000,000 third party insurance for the princely sum of £11.20 per annum.

Surely that is affordable and removes the risk of the cyclist injuring somebody and then not being able to pay for damage/compensation etc.

As one who had £300 worth of damage inflicted on my car by a cyclist who collided with the side of my car whilst it was stationary in a traffic and then jumped a set of lights to escape I think ALL cyclists should carry a registrstion number and 3rd party insurance.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

As one who had £300 worth of damage inflicted on my car by a cyclist who collided with the side of my car whilst it was stationary in a traffic and then jumped a set of lights to escape I think ALL cyclists should carry a registrstion number and 3rd party insurance.

Yep. Its a piss take. 

Just now, cuthound said:

I would totally agree but there appears to be a faction who will not countenance insurance let alone some form of identification

Perhaps it should be the other way round!  Make the bikes and bikers traceable then they might choose to have insurance for situations like yours.

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

31. Big dogs with big gnashing teeth that could chew at your ankles and get yer trousers all dirty and mucky.

32. Zebras

Zebras could be a major problem if crossing the road on a zebra crossing. Certainly a case for having insurance. I would if I was a zebra.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

32. Zebras

Zebras could be a major problem if crossing the road on a zebra crossing. Certainly a case for having insurance. I would if I was a zebra.

Well,yes, but a zebra is nothing but a fancy horse (already mentioned). Now a Pelican ,well theres a horse of a different colour.

They also have their own crossing, so insurance should be compulsory.Don't get be started on Puffins and Toucans.

Just now, rusty69 said:

No, but I loves bees, specially the ones that produce milk.

Dont change the subject!

We were talking about puffins.

I wonder what right hand puffin is saying to left hand puffin. "Don't worry dear, the insurance isnt due this month"

puffin-8857.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Dont change the subject!

We were talking about puffins.

I wonder what right hand puffin is saying to left hand puffin. "Don't worry dear, the insurance isnt due this month"

Toucan play at that game. I was trying to do my bee producing milk joke before you rudely interrupted with your nearly perfick Puffin pic.

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Toucan play at that game. I was trying to do my bee producing milk joke before you rudely interrupted with your nearly perfick Puffin pic.

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No, but I loves bees, specially the ones that produce milk.

Go on then! How do you get milk from a bee?