Cycling

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

I was thinking of the greater good.

So the sacrifice of the occasional death and/or maiming so cyclists don't have to fork out the price of a few cups of coffee is the greater good?  Can't agree with you on that I am afraid. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Im not sure how possessing insurance will stop accidents from happening. 

I sincerely hope you are being silly!   Of course it won't stop accidents happening, it doesn't prevent just as it doesn't in cars.  Do you suggest we do away with car insurance?  Why do we have have insurance on cars?  To repair damage and make life more bearable for those injured or who lose a bread winner.  Exactly what cycle insurance would be for.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jerra said:

I sincerely hope you are being silly!   Of course it won't stop accidents happening, it doesn't prevent just as it doesn't in cars.  Do you suggest we do away with car insurance?  Why do we have have insurance on cars?  To repair damage and make life more bearable for those injured or who lose a bread winner.  Exactly what cycle insurance would be for.

Then where do you stop with insurance? See silly examples above.

As said i'm not sure how insurance would have helped in the example mrsmelly provided earlier. 

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Then where do you stop with insurance? See silly examples above.

As said i'm not sure how insurance would have helped in the example mrsmelly provided earlier. 

If and when something becomes common enough to have fatalities/maimings then there is an argument for insurance.  Cycles are probably at an all time high with regard to numbers and are in some cases being ridden in a way which kills and injures.  So as far as I am concerned there needs to be someway to try to "right the wrongs" e.g. pay for damage and or compensation for lost wages etc.  It can't be too daft an idea if a number of cyclists already buy it and insurance companies advertise such a product.

The 1700 or so killed by cars per year compared to the total miles driven/hours of use is tiny are you suggesting insurance on cars isn't necessary.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

If and when something becomes common enough to have fatalities/maimings then there is an argument for insurance.  Cycles are probably at an all time high with regard to numbers and are in some cases being ridden in a way which kills and injures.  So as far as I am concerned there needs to be someway to try to "right the wrongs" e.g. pay for damage and or compensation for lost wages etc.  It can't be too daft an idea if a number of cyclists already buy it and insurance companies advertise such a product.

The 1700 or so killed by cars per year compared to the total miles driven/hours of use is tiny are you suggesting insurance on cars isn't necessary.

Edited by Jerra

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

How common are deaths by cyclists.

I would say that many many cyclists are insured. Myself included. Membership of many clubs give you free insurance too.

However if it was compulsory I would say that the ones we call idiots now would probaby ignore that law anyway.

How would this be policed and at what cost.

1 minute ago, thebfg said:

How common are deaths by cyclists.

I would say that many many cyclists are insured. Myself included. Membership of many clubs give you free insurance too.

However if it was compulsory I would say that the ones we call idiots now would probaby ignore that law anyway.

How would this be policed and at what cost.

A bicycle is a vehicle simple as that. All other vehicles have to have compulsory insurance and that is millions of them in the uk alone. Idiots disregard the law with cars etc also but we still have compulsory insurance. Its about taking responsibility. Insurance is not to cover the value of the silly bike but as others have said it can make life easier in a serious accident or death such as CAUSED by the moronic actions of Charlie Alliston to name but one.  Many laws are hard to police but nontheless are still in place.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

A bicycle is a vehicle simple as that. All other vehicles have to have compulsory insurance and that is millions of them in the uk alone. Idiots disregard the law with cars etc also but we still have compulsory insurance. Its about taking responsibility. Insurance is not to cover the value of the silly bike but as others have said it can make life easier in a serious accident or death such as CAUSED by the moronic actions of Charlie Alliston to name but one.  Many laws are hard to police but nontheless are still in place.

But would the insurance pay out for a illegal vehicle?

I'e just read the report in the OP.

Oh it says we needs new laws because there is no cycling version of death by dangerous  driving laws. Errr yes there is he was convicted to prison for it. Which is a dam sight more than most motorists get for killing cyclists or pedestrians

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

But would the insurance pay out for a illegal vehicle?

Yes. Insurers have to cover third party injuries to Persons at least if they insure  you. Much like the crap thats spouted that you are not insured if you drink over the prescribed limit and drive. You are still insured but likely as not would not be paid out to yourself or your own property. If this was not the legal standing of it we would need hundreds more court hearings every week persuing private insurance claims because the companies had not paid out. One of the main problems is people dont understand that many cyles now do 30 mph and a fifteen stone bloke hitting you on a bike at even 10 mph is a massive impact.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You may find that not all other vehicles are as you say

It may be that all motor vehicles are.

I beleive more stringent policing of the rules we have in place would be a better start. Then have a look at adding further rules.

Start handing out fixed penalty tickets for the laws we have. And that will go further in reducing the two deaths a year than compulsory insurance.

Which i will add is not in the report that the government are considering.

The police don' do anything about cyclists at the moment so what will change with new laws.

I am not quite 15 stone and very unfit but even I can cruise at 30mph if the conditions are right.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

So the sacrifice of the occasional death and/or maiming so cyclists don't have to fork out the price of a few cups of coffee is the greater good?  Can't agree with you on that I am afraid. 

No, the greater good is not to discourage people from choosing a form of transport that doesn't clog the roads with traffic, strain the NHS with obesity-related illnesses, or make the air so toxic that it contributes to thousands of premature deaths every year.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

No, the greater good is not to discourage people from choosing a form of transport that doesn't clog the roads with traffic, strain the NHS with obesity-related illnesses, or make the air so toxic that it contributes to thousands of premature deaths every year.

So as I say the sacrifice of a few seems to be acceptable to you.  I really can believe that £11 is going to put anybody off, the cost of a far more expensive helmet doesn't seem to have put many off.  Of the hundreds of cyclists I see every year they almost without exception have a helmet.   It would seem cyclists want to protect themselves and to hell with anyone killed/injured all for the price of a few cups of coffee.

Just my opinion other opinions are available.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So as I say the sacrifice of a few seems to be acceptable to you.  I really can believe that £11 is going to put anybody off, the cost of a far more expensive helmet doesn't seem to have put many off.  Of the hundreds of cyclists I see every year they almost without exception have a helmet.   It would seem cyclists want to protect themselves and to hell with anyone killed/injured all for the price of a few cups of coffee.

By your logic, EVERYONE who sets foot outside should have compulsory insurance. Pedestrians included.

1 minute ago, Señor Chris said:

By your logic, EVERYONE who sets foot outside should have compulsory insurance. Pedestrians included.

I am completely lost by how you twist what I have said into that!   Smacks of desperation to me.